PDA

View Full Version : Getting serious ankle and calf pain from strongman events

patricky
10-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I've been getting serious with my strongman training the last 6 weeks.
Yoke has gone from 200kg to 250kg. And farmers from 85kg to 105kg.

But now I'm getting serious ankle and calf pain every time I do events. The yoke is the worst. I tried taking a weeks deload. But that didn't help at all.

I found out you can get knee/ankle wraps for strongman. Should I be wearing these?
Cheers.

theBarzeen
10-31-2011, 07:23 AM
A lot of powerlifters just tape their ankles before squat and deadlift.... that could help you as well.

I had to start taping after I started losing the arch in my feet.

patricky
11-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Cheers man for the reply.
Funnily enough I've never had an arch in my feet, I'm flat footed. Wonder if that means anything.

Any strongmen want to chip in?

vdizenzo
11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I know Donnie has lace up ankle braces he wears when he squats. Personally I would look at why this is happening and what you can do to prevent it. Do you need rehab, to strengthen certain muscle groups, stretching, etc.

IronDiggy
11-01-2011, 09:22 AM
A lot of powerlifters just tape their ankles before squat and deadlift.... that could help you as well.

I had to start taping after I started losing the arch in my feet.

How do you tape you ankles? I've been having some issues with a previously broken ankle when walking out squats. It seems the damn thing gets tender in the winter and I'm afraid of it just giving out while walking out squats cause it'll do it sometimes just walking.

theBarzeen
11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
How do you tape you ankles? I've been having some issues with a previously broken ankle when walking out squats. It seems the damn thing gets tender in the winter and I'm afraid of it just giving out while walking out squats cause it'll do it sometimes just walking.

I start them like this.... http://youtu.be/pse_HqmBhxA then just do a few wraps around to finish. The only difference between how I start a wrap and the video is that I use prewrap first. I have hairy feet and don't plan to change that by ripping it all out with tape.

barryisawinnah
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I got some pretty achy knees from yoke and farmers to a lesser extent, but some knee sleeves pretty much solved that problem. I have heard of guys getting shin splints from yoke/farmers...