PDA

View Full Version : unilateral movements

JSully
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
How many of you regularly perform unilateral movements?

split squats, step ups, lunges, one leg jumps, etc..

do you feel they carry over to your power movements?

for my off season training I'll be adding in various forms of unilateral leg training as an accessory on my ME lower days. Since I throw heavy shit, everything finishes with "getting up on your left" in reference to your left left. It is obvious how unilateral movements would be beneficial here since your legs are firing at different times (albeit a fraction of a second different)

discuss plz.

thecityalive
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
In my log, I implement bulgarian split squats and reverse DB lunges. So far, it has been working (I think...at least that's what the numbers say).

Even though a lot of those movements are quad dominant, I feel a lot of push though the hips as well. So far, i feel it helps carry over in exploding out of the hole.

RFabsik
10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
I try to do them on ME day too. But only a set or two.

Do you do unilateral movements for your upper body? I wonder if this would be helpful since you are a thrower.

SEOINAGE
10-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Been doing more body weight stuff and cardio lately. one thing I do is pistol squats assisted, really close to being able to do them without assistance, and it has seemed to really help in my day to day activities, work and things. Also sometimes do a thing where i bend down and touch the floor and let one leg come up in the air behind me, not something that is going to make me have great performance or whatever, but for basic body function it helps.

How well this carrys over to power, i really couldn't answer, haven't personally noticed much in that regards from what I do.

kingns
10-31-2011, 05:21 PM
i just did a meet so im trying to work all the stuff I was neglecting before the meet. So lots of unilateral stuff. Lunges, lateral lunges, 1 leg squats