PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning vs. Squat

RFabsik
10-31-2011, 10:00 PM
After reading all the benefits from Good Mornings from WS, I started adding them in as an assistance exercise for repetition work.

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with the movement, I was hoping to do some max effort work with them.

To set a guiding point of where to start, how does a 3RM GM compare to a raw 1RM squat? Regardless of the consensus on a %, I'll start below it and work my way toward it.

kingns
10-31-2011, 10:16 PM
theres no way to get a correlation between the two. If you are super stocky they can be close, if you are really tall they will be pretty far apart. some people do them deep like to 90 degrees, some people barely bend over at all and just look like a quarter squat. the most Ive ever done was 365 and it was not to 90 degrees and Ive squatted over 500 raw. And IN MY OPINION doing them for max effort work isnt very useful. Doing a concentric only one from chains might be good because its a lot like a dl. But doing a regular GM is almost definitly gonna get more and more like a quarter squat as it gets heavier

JSully
11-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I agree.. GMs 1RM style is no bueno IMO.. form breaks way down and the next thing you know you're 1/4 squatting it. I personally wouldn't go below 5 reps, just my thoughts.

Brian Hopper
11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
IMO, it's a little hard to compare. As far as doing GM's for a max effort lift, I wouldn't do them for a 1RM. I would rather do GM's for sets of 3-5. I've noticed better gains when doing them with a 3-5 rep range.

RhodeHouse
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
There is no comparison. They're two completely different movements. I'd keep the weights light and get a great range of motion, making sure to keep the low back locked in tight. No bend at all. When form breaks down, you'll get hurt. It'll be over time, too. You'll never realize what did it.

Good mornings are a great assistance movement done in the 5-10 rep range, very strict. If you want to hurt yourself, do them ME style. Westside doesn't even do that anymore.

theBarzeen
11-01-2011, 01:47 PM
There is no comparison. They're two completely different movements. I'd keep the weights light and get a great range of motion, making sure to keep the low back locked in tight. No bend at all. When form breaks down, you'll get hurt. .

This...

it's like trying to guess your deadlift based off of your leg press..... some similar muscles used, but it's just not the same.

RFabsik
11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I won't go any lower than triples and focus on form since it sounds like it is a good strength builder instead of a strength tester.

On another note, does taking it from the bottom of hanging chains really differ from taking the bar off the same height in the power rack?

Chicksanboy
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Well shit, I guess Im going against the grain, but I love them and I do them for triples and singles. My best squat is 545, my best good morning is 275. I do regular, from pins, and hanging from chains, I use a squat bar and a rackable cambered bar for them. I always set the pins and chains at waist level. I keep the reps controlled and slow. I do them because after a while of heavy squatting and deadlifting, I feel run down and beat down....they allow me to handle a heavy load but I dont get fried from them. Again, this is just another opinion

Ive noticed that when I hang it from chains, I can get just a bit of swing at the bottom to help get the weight started, I cant do that from pins

chris mason
11-04-2011, 08:49 AM
In terms of the load used, it really varies because there are lot of GM varieties. Some are more like a hybrid with a squat, some very strict and all back.

JK1
11-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Well shit, I guess Im going against the grain, but I love them and I do them for triples and singles. My best squat is 545, my best good morning is 275. I do regular, from pins, and hanging from chains, I use a squat bar and a rackable cambered bar for them. I always set the pins and chains at waist level. I keep the reps controlled and slow. I do them because after a while of heavy squatting and deadlifting, I feel run down and beat down....they allow me to handle a heavy load but I dont get fried from them. Again, this is just another opinion

Ive noticed that when I hang it from chains, I can get just a bit of swing at the bottom to help get the weight started, I cant do that from pins

Yup... Honestly 3-5 rep maxes with good mornings kick my ass in a bad way. I tend to work up most variations of good mornings I do in straps with the bar set at the top of my belt. I work to a single strict,then as form starts to break down do them more as a bottom postion "anderson" squat or a 'squat morning' type movement. I think i see a pretty solid carry over to my squats doing them that way.