PDA

View Full Version : squats and oly shoes

JSully
11-01-2011, 12:55 AM
I've got a pair of oly shoes I use for front squats and oly movements, plus weight over bar but no need to get into that.

How many of you use oly shoes to back squat? I've got DE squats tomorrow and I'm going to see how they feel. I've got some killer knee tendonitis, however, when front squatting with the oly shoes I feel absolutely no pain at all. I figure it can't hurt to give back squats a try.

I squat low bar and push my hips back, unlike a typical oly squat. Was wondering if anybody out there has tried this before and what there thoughts were on this.

IronDiggy
11-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I love my oly shoes for back squatting. I was having some issues getting any depth in chucks till I made the switch. Warn you though, I won't squat in anything else anymore.

JSully
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I love my oly shoes for back squatting. I was having some issues getting any depth in chucks till I made the switch. Warn you though, I won't squat in anything else anymore.
out of curiosity, do you pull in them too?

I pull barefoot (slippers in comp).. I have no plans on changing my pull, just curious.

mastermonster
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
If you don't squat wide stance the Oly. shoes will probably work well for you.

JSully
11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
No, I'm not wide. I'd consider myself medium stance.. heels are about shoulder width, toes are angled out maybe 2" or so

BloodandThunder
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I squat in Olys. I actually brought the bar farther up from when I squatted low bar and with chucks. It's all about your leverages and lifting the most weight. Like MM said, the wider you are, the more inclined you are to sit back and have a more negative shin angle, so chucks or the old school Metal shoes are the best bet.

If I do box squats, I do them with Chucks for this reason. I pull 100% with Chucks or flat sole.

I also bench in my Olys (I've done mostly flat footed feds) and do overhead work as well. Really like the drive I get out of the heel.

Brian Hopper
11-01-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a pair of oly shoes and I love them. Now that I am use to them I can't squat heavy in my chucks, unless I was squatting wide. I did try pulling in them a couple sessions but not for a 1RM. I would rather pull in my chucks or slippers.

RhodeHouse
11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I use Olympic shoes. I don't know if I'd use them for geared squatting, but I love them for raw. With the stance you mentioned, I'd be in the Olympic shoes.

I'd also bring your bar up a bit if you wear Olympic shoes. The low bar will tend to make you lean forward more. This doesn't equal getting good depth. That being said, if you don't have an issue with depth, then squat away.

IronDiggy
11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
out of curiosity, do you pull in them too?

I pull barefoot (slippers in comp).. I have no plans on changing my pull, just curious.

Right now I do because I haven't found anything else to pull in. chucks just seem to hurt my feet now (too narrow, I have extremely wide feet) but I think I may get some slippers or something to pull in esp for pulling sumo.

JSully
11-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm glad I started this thread, I was unaware there were so many guys squatting in oly shoes. I feel much better about giving it a shot now. I'm doing speed stuff tonight so I'll play around with bar placement. Thanks for all the input.

ScottYard
11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I do. I love my olympic squat shoes. Im pissed i didnt know about these 10 years ago.

johnnyo_99
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Out of curiosity what brands of oly shoes is everyone using?

Brian Hopper
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I think Scott Yard wears the same.

http://www.vsathletics.com/shop/products/normal/vs010.jpg