PDA

View Full Version : Hit another PR

ncsuLuke
11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Maxed out on front squats today and hit 300lbs. Might have had a bit left in the tank but I did so many attempts getting up there I didn't want to try again. Definitely going to shoot for 315 next time. What is weird is I maxed out on back squats a couple of weeks ago and only got 335. I figured there would be a bigger gap.

This is my second big PR since starting crossfit, other was deadlifting 415 (previous best was 385). Might not be a program dedicated to strength but I am putting up the best numbers I have had yet.

mike mcgee
11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
strong front squat, congrats. do you do front squats i the rack position or arms crossed?

ncsuLuke
11-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Rack position. I used to do them arms crossed because I had a bum wrist, that is fixed now and so I use the rack position. It feels a lot more solid to me, especially when going up in the higher weights. I feel like with the arms crossed it is easier for the bar to slide forward.

thecityalive
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
that is a small gap from FS to BS. Are you going in the hole with your BS like you are an FS?

Regardless, a PR is a PR...congrats anyway!

chris mason
11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Great job!

ncsuLuke
11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
that is a small gap from FS to BS. Are you going in the hole with your BS like you are an FS?

Regardless, a PR is a PR...congrats anyway!

Thanks, I probably get a little deeper in my FS but I always break parallel on BS.

ncsuLuke
11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Great job!

Thanks!

Tom Mutaffis
11-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Maxed out on front squats today and hit 300lbs. Might have had a bit left in the tank but I did so many attempts getting up there I didn't want to try again. Definitely going to shoot for 315 next time. What is weird is I maxed out on back squats a couple of weeks ago and only got 335. I figured there would be a bigger gap.

This is my second big PR since starting crossfit, other was deadlifting 415 (previous best was 385). Might not be a program dedicated to strength but I am putting up the best numbers I have had yet.

Nice work on the PR's...

Different programs work for different people, and it sounds like you found one that allows you to build strength without constantly putting yourself under heavy weights. You may want to look at the Crossfit-Strength programming that I have listed on here in the past; they implement a lot of Westside type work into a Crossfit template.

ncsuLuke
11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks Tom, I am definitely looking to add some strength work like you mentioned. I don't control the programming at my box so I can't follow something like that to the t but my coaches are cool and have no problem doing some extra work on my own before or after. I am also looking at getting some coaching from an olympic lifting coach in the area that is supposed to be really good.

ncsuLuke
11-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Did the CrossFit Total today:

Back Squat - 390 (55lb PR)
Shoulder Press - 175
Deadlift - 435 (20lb PR)

Total - 1000lbs

Two huge PR's, I was shocked at the back squat, I was hoping to get something around 355 or so. Had a coach watch me and it was definitely below parallel, wish I had a video of it but I didn't think of it. Did get one of my deadlift though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqvVRBI7L3Q

I want to try and max my deadlift again in a few weeks without maxing out on squats first, I think that took a lot out of me and I have a feeling I could get more if I went in fresh.

thecityalive
11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Solid work!

Was the shoulder press a strict press or push press?

ncsuLuke
11-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks man, the press was strict. Definitely my limiting lift out of the three.

RFabsik
11-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Congrats on reaching the 1000lb total!

ncsuLuke
11-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Congrats on reaching the 1000lb total!

Thanks!