PDA

View Full Version : APF Southern States (Orlando Florida) - Got the Title Back!

UncleAl
11-02-2011, 09:05 AM
The meet was a lot of fun with the usual outstanding comeraderie and fine job by Brain Schwab and the Orlando Barbell crew. Lonnnnnnng one though. Squats started at 10:30 a.m. and the last award given at about 11:00 p.m. Squats alone took 4.5 hours!

Weighed in at 162.5 and competed in the raw, 165lb class, age 65+ division. Lots of guys over age 50 competed, by the way. I was the oldest full power lifter.

Started with a very easy 275 squat, just to get on the boards. Had planned a final attempt with 345, but when I got called for depth with only 310 on my second (got sloppy), I backed off to 330, which I'd done several times in the gym. White lights.

My left rotator had incurred a slight injury in September. It was back to 90%, but rather than risk a tear, I decided just pick a weight that would give me the total I wanted (assuming I made all planned deadlifts). That was 250, which went up without a problem.

By the time deadlifts rolled around, it was 7:30, and I was delerious. Thank God for Jacked 3d and caffeinated gum! Opened with 420. Easy lift. Called for 450, which also went up without a hitch (pun intended). Final attempt was 480, which was challenging but not a grinder. White lights and a five pound PR.

My 1060 total will put me in first place in the M3/M4's (over age 60) and sixteenth place, overall, on Powerlifting Watch's Current Master's Lifter Rankings. I had been thinking about packing it in after this meet, but now that ain't gonna happen. Hopefully, I'll become a member of the 500 lb Deadlift Club next year.

Brian Hopper
11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Great job!!! Brian Schwab and OBB always put on a good meet.

Beverly McD.
11-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Congratulations! Glad you're not packing it in. Master lifters know some stuff.

J_Byrd
11-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Impressive work! Sounds like a great meet as well.

UncleAl
11-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Here are the meet results:
http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=157011&tid

Can you believe April Mathis' numbers? I think her squat was an all-time record. Watching Tommy Fannon and Sylvester Crumbley squat over 1000 was also very impressive.

Brian Hopper
11-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I know Aprils total is an all-time record, and I'm pretty sure her squat and bench is too but I'm not sure on that. If she can get it all together in one meet, she's good for 1700 with no sleeves or wraps.

UncleAl
11-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Brian, Beverly, and J - Thanks.

Brian - Yea, April's pretty incredible. I see 1700+ in her future, too.

April Mathis
11-03-2011, 06:19 PM
That meet was forever, lol. And I think that they were quite abit stricter on the squats in the raw flight then many of them with gear. I do think Brian Schwab tries to put on a good meet though and I know he does it to help keep his gym open. I don't blame him for anything.

I think you can get a 500lbs. deadlift. Maybe just go for it on a 2nd attempt next time. I have learned to just go for a pr on the 2nd if the 1st feels decent, especially on deadlift since you're already tired from the full meet and a lot of people miss the 3rd deadlift. Either way, 480 is a bigger deadlift than I have seen most people at your weight pull, much less at 65.

All my lifts at this meet that passed were prs by like 2lbs. lol. I plan to total over 1700lbs. next time. My last squat they said was a little high, but I know I could have done at least 650 and went lower. I should also maybe have someone strict call my depth next time, even though a lot of people said it looked good. I also had no idea what weight to pick, since I knew my squat was going good but hadn't done a regular straight-weight squat over mid-500s in awhile. And I tore something in my shoulder while pressing the 415 even though it was easy, so passed the 3rd attempt. I trained for this meet for like 4 weeks and only really planned on benching, since the main reason I came was to watch a friend of mine I had just trained with up until about 2 months ago when I moved. I didn't really deadlift heavy at all in like 3 months lol. So next time maybe I will actually be more prepared. I may not do another meet in Florida though for a long time, as I live in northern Georgia now.

44pirate
11-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Congradulations.

mastermonster
11-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Great job and congrats!

UncleAl
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
April - Thank you so much for the encouragement. Your performance was even more amazing, considering the time off! We Floridians will be sorry if we don't get to watch you lift again. Again, congratulations and best of luck!

44pirate and massmonster - Thanks, guys.

April Mathis
11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
April - Thank you so much for the encouragement. Your performance was even more amazing, considering the time off! We Floridians will be sorry if we don't get to watch you lift again. Again, congratulations and best of luck!

44pirate and massmonster - Thanks, guys.

Well it wasn't really time off, except deadlift lol. I was lifting just not training for a meet.