PDA

View Full Version : rice

Ferdo
05-27-2002, 04:53 PM
I have tried brown rice and i just cant take it. If I eat white instead does it have any benefits or am i just wasting my time with it?

Bobarell
05-27-2002, 05:08 PM
You lose pretty much all the nutrients in the rice when it is white

mrunknown
05-27-2002, 05:26 PM
does brown rice taste bad

Victor
05-27-2002, 08:28 PM
If you're trying to Cut, than Brown rice will be alot more beneficial than white (actually it is also more benificial when bulking, just that it's not as important).

With brown rice, you'll get more fibre, and the nutrients are more too. Most importantly, it is a low GI carb that doesn't contain simple sugers to store bodyfat, thus makes it easier to get cut.

YatesNightBlade
05-28-2002, 05:34 AM
and White Rice does Contain simple Sugars ??

Brown Rice is alot better my friends and I'd try and stick with it. If you can, get hold of some Cider Vinager, it makes the meal sweeter at little extra cost of calories.

Sebi
05-28-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Bobarell
You lose pretty much all the nutrients in the rice when it is white please explain?

Bobarell
05-28-2002, 06:14 AM
What victor said....you lose all of hte fiber

Sebi
05-28-2002, 06:24 AM
if its fiber or vitamins what you want, very well.

otherwise white rice is about the same as brown.

you certainly can not say that you lose all the nutrients.

Warblade
05-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Sebi
if its fiber or vitamins what you want, very well.

otherwise white rice is about the same as brown.

you certainly can not say that you lose all the nutrients.

I did a search on brown vs white GI today. Most sites seem to agree that if white bread is 100 on the scale, brown rice is around 50 to 60. While white seems to vary depending on certain factors, like long grain or short grain. And for some reason, one site I saw Calrose Rice being listed at 124 on the glycemic index. My god, worse than white bread. And white bread is supposed to be death. Kinda depressing.

Of course, I've read that you do want high GI carbs in your post workout meal (besides your post workout drink). So if you eat white rice, maybe its best to stick it only in your post workout meal.

Sebi
05-30-2002, 01:24 AM
People have been eating white bread for several thousands of years. People in Japan have been eating white rice all the way, and they are the longest living nation.

So white food is not exactly the same as death IMO.

Shao-LiN
05-30-2002, 01:55 AM
If you're oriental, it's almost a given that you've grown up with white rice, hehe. It won't kill you, it's just that brown rice is better for you nutritionally.

I honestly don't mind the taste of brown rice.

Sebi
05-30-2002, 02:20 AM
actually i've never seen brown rice yet.

btw i'm not "oriental"

Bobarell
05-30-2002, 03:25 AM
Let's look at what else Japanese people eat before we contribute the long life to white rice.

LOTSA Fish....LOTSA Fish. Fish is one of the best foods a person can eat in terms of health. They also don't eat all of the CRAP that us Americans eat on an every day basis. I am not talking about us health freaks, but the average American.

They don't eat loads of pizza, fatty beef, french fries. We eat a lot of fatty/saturated fat foods which is bad for you. Everyone here knows that. That is why we have the high rate of obesity that we have.

I never said that White rice is Death!!! My mom is a "Pacific Islander" and I ate white rice 6 days a week for 18 years. I like the taste of brown rice as well.

Shao-LiN.....if you are going to use that name please at least be politically correct. I hate the term oriental. SHIAT....Even Snoop Dogg said "Are there any Asians in the house?" at his concert.

Warblade
05-30-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Bobarell
Let's look at what else Japanese people eat before we contribute the long life to white rice.

LOTSA Fish....LOTSA Fish. Fish is one of the best foods a person can eat in terms of health. They also don't eat all of the CRAP that us Americans eat on an every day basis. I am not talking about us health freaks, but the average American.

They don't eat loads of pizza, fatty beef, french fries. We eat a lot of fatty/saturated fat foods which is bad for you. Everyone here knows that. That is why we have the high rate of obesity that we have.

I never said that White rice is Death!!! My mom is a "Pacific Islander" and I ate white rice 6 days a week for 18 years. I like the taste of brown rice as well.

Shao-LiN.....if you are going to use that name please at least be politically correct. I hate the term oriental. SHIAT....Even Snoop Dogg said "Are there any Asians in the house?" at his concert.
*I* said "white bread is death". I didn't mean it would literally KILL you though. I meant that if you're trying to cut, since its a high GI carb its not the best thing to have. And if white bread is already high, and calrose rice is higher, I think we can see how bad white rice might be for you.

I'm not saying stop eating white rice. I'm asian, and that's the one thing I'm not going to give up. I was just saying, if you wanted to be shredded, brown rice, or whole wheat bread would be better.

I'm sure you can get cut fine still eating white rice and white bread, but, it might be more difficult. It depends on the person.

Shao-LiN
05-30-2002, 11:21 AM
I used the term oriental because asia also contains russia, middle east and stuff...and I wasn't too sure of the nature of their eating habits.

I'm filipino and grew up eating white rice 7 days a week for about 21 years, hehe. One of those things that is hard to give up.

thalapathi
05-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Shao-Lin- I was eating rice almost daily for 21 years too, as I am an Indian, but now reduced it a lot. But I realized the white rice here is processed and sold in supermarkets while in India we bought the rice directly from farmers and it was raw rice and so it might be different. I can definitely say that, the rice here tastes different too.

Fudomyo
05-30-2002, 03:03 PM
You can always try Basmati rice. For some reason it has one of the lowest GI's. Durn tasty too.

You just can't get it at animal feed prices.

Tru
05-30-2002, 03:29 PM
this might sound stupid, but is brown rice really supposed to look brown? I eat this rice that says brown rice on the box but it looks white to me...

Shao-LiN
05-30-2002, 05:16 PM
My brown rice looks brown.