PDA

View Full Version : Took part in my first meet yesterday

LouPac
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I participated in the RPS Autumn Apocalypse in Egg Harbor, NJ. It was an experience and I met some cool people and saw some insanely strong people there. I "competed" in the 198 Raw Open class. I had a goal to get an 1100 total but just fell short with 1090 (375, 280, 435). I pressed 300 clean in the bench but I jumped the "Rack" command so I blew it. I was a bit upset at myself for doing that twice. I also coudn't move the bar for my last deadlift. I did 460 in the gym a few months back, but couldn't budge 465 this time. Bummer. Oh well, lesson learned. Overall I had a great time, but it was a long day. My first squat was at 11:00 and my last deadlift was at 7:00. I was completely exhausted by the time deadlifts rolled around. I also had a 3.5 hour break between squats and bench, so that wasn't very pleasant. I actually warmed up too early on bench and had to warm up all over again an hour after. I won 1st place for my class by default since no one else did full power. There were only two others in my class and one just benched, while the other just deadlifted. So, I ended up with a cool trophy for my effort. And holy crap am I sore and tired today. Looking forward to my next one now to redeem myself for this meet.

UncleAl
11-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Copngratulations on a great first effort. At my APF meet last week, the time between my first squat and last deadlift was an hour longer than yours. So, I know how you felt when it came time to pull.

Glad you had a positive experience. I think you'll find competition addicting. Best of luck!

bojackson
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
welcome to the club...!!! you will find the powerlifting community to be very accomodating and full of great info...!!! congrats!!!

Brian C
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Very nice first meet, congrats. This past weekend i had less than 30 minutes between sqt and bench. THAT sucked

Christianiron
11-09-2011, 01:32 PM
I have competed in a couple of Gene's meets & found them fun & met some cool people. Gene is a little rough around the edges, but really cool & willing to give advice,etc once you get to know him a bit. A couple of younger guys I see at my gym are hitting Gene's next local meet here, the Christmas Carnage, which I did last year. I am hoping to watch & root for these guys if I can.