PDA

View Full Version : sick 5/3/1 week 3, what should I do?

everphilski
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Alright so over the weekend I've managed to conjure up a 104 degree fever and what I think is a sinus infection. Going to the doc this afternoon to confirm.

I'm in my second cycle of 5/3/1 hitting week 3 (1+ reps). I feel like crap and I know I'm weak. Should I take the week off, or do deload this week and 1+ next week, or how would you approach it?

First time on a program that runs micro/mesocycles so I'm looking for input. Thanks.

philip

RFabsik
11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Either wait a week and go back where you left off or skip this week and do the deload next.

ironwill727
11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
You should do one of two things.

1) Man up and lift
2) take time off and pick up where you left off

I wouldn't skip the best week of the program though.

andy51
11-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Skip this week...at least whatever training sessions you don't feel healthy enough to train optimally. Pick up when you can, continue with the deload and start the next cycle with your numbers the same as this cycle. 531 isn't based around weeks...think long term. Unless you have a meet in the near future (which it doesn't sound like it)... you'll be fine. Get healthy then get back after it!

ScottYard
11-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I would rest up then pick up next week at this workout. Don't sweat it.

Dank27
11-07-2011, 04:16 PM
do everyone in the gym a favor and do not share the wealth. Stay home and get better. Your body should be fighting the virus not trying to recover from training

RhodeHouse
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Skip this week. Hit the deload week and just keep rolling.

SELK
11-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I used to just push through stuff like this, but I really don't think its worth it. Your body is working hard to fight the sickness and isn't going to give a shit about letting you recover from a workout. With a 104 degree fever I don't even think i get out of bed.

everphilski
11-10-2011, 06:52 AM
I used to just push through stuff like this, but I really don't think its worth it. Your body is working hard to fight the sickness and isn't going to give a shit about letting you recover from a workout. With a 104 degree fever I don't even think i get out of bed.

Yeah historically I push through it as well whether it is lifting or work. Part of it is I have frequent migraines I have to work through and I really just treat being sick the same way.

Anyways fever broke Monday afternoon, must have been a 24 hour bug or something. I felt OK on Tuesday and great Wednesday so I went ahead and did my squat and OHP, only did chins and abs for assistance. Hit a PR on the squat (5 reps) and matched my old PR on the OHP (4 reps). on Friday I'll bench and squat and keep the assistance light. Thanks again guys for the advice.