PDA

View Full Version : couple of deadlift questions...

thewicked
11-07-2011, 10:12 PM
been just playing around since after the meet a few weeks ago trying exercises I've never done before and did deadlifts with chains tonight. Ended up with 450lbs bar weight and 240lbs chain weight and ran out of chains so called it a night. Pulled 450+200lbs of chains easily without a belt and 450 with 240lbs of chains even easier WITH a belt. I was curious about what the initial starting weight would roughly be around? The chains were all completely off the floor at lockout and having never done this exercise before made my curious...

I'm thinking about working up to 505 bar weight and then start adding chains next time I try this. I liked it because it allowed me to work my lockout but still work full range of motion and forced me to focus on proper technique to execute as it go heavier both progressively each lift and total weight wise as I moved up.

My next question is my back position. I pull with a slightly rounded back. I always have. Feels natural and has always given me a strong pull. I arch hard and do this or that that is supposed to help but it significantly drops my working weights. Is this gonna hinder my deadlift in the long run not arching my back hard or atleast not rounding it as much as possible?

Also now that I'm working this over in my head...should I be engaging or tightening my lats at all during the deadlift because I don't.

Thanks for the help guys!

SELK
11-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I would watch the overload on the deadlift, when you have a huge discrepancy between the amount of weight on the floor vs the lockout your timing/technique is going to be off with straight weight. I learned this after doing a bunch of reverse band work and realizing it was nothing like my contest deadlift because i could maintain my form so much better with less weight and when i got to lockout i wasn't rounded over as usual.

Depends on if its upper or lowerback. Its alright to round your upperback but I thinking rounding your lowerback is going to lead to injuries for most people over time. On max effort pulls a little rounding is standard though. I try to arch my entire back but my upperback rounds when the weights get heavy.

I don't think about tightening my lats, just think about keeping your chest up and arching. The main problem with pulling with a rounded upperback is that the lockout is a bitch as often your delts are actually infront of the bar and you have horrible leverage. This is my issue and I am an 800lbs puller from the ground.. and a 400lbs puller above the knees haha.

RhodeHouse
11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
It doesn't matter how much the chains weigh. it was 450 with chains. There is no equivalent to straight weight.

You can have a rounded back, but it shouldn't round more when you start to pull. My back is rounded, but it never moves out of position as I pull. I'd try to keep your low back as arched as possible. It makes no sense to me that your pull drops when you're in better position. My guess is you're out of position when you arch hard. You probably drop your hips too much when you keep your back arched. I'd work on it.

theBarzeen
11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Arching the back is best for SOME pullers... maybe even most pullers... but I need a slightly rounded back to be most efficient. If you miss at the top then it's a problem. I miss at the knees and am strong from the knees up... no problem.

Deadlifting with chains is just weight+chain weight.... don't over think it. Same with bands... weight+ band tension at the top.

It's all just training and doesn't matter much unless it helps your legit pull from the floor.

thewicked
11-10-2011, 08:28 AM
I would watch the overload on the deadlift, when you have a huge discrepancy between the amount of weight on the floor vs the lockout your timing/technique is going to be off with straight weight. I learned this after doing a bunch of reverse band work and realizing it was nothing like my contest deadlift because i could maintain my form so much better with less weight and when i got to lockout i wasn't rounded over as usual.

Depends on if its upper or lowerback. Its alright to round your upperback but I thinking rounding your lowerback is going to lead to injuries for most people over time. On max effort pulls a little rounding is standard though. I try to arch my entire back but my upperback rounds when the weights get heavy.

I don't think about tightening my lats, just think about keeping your chest up and arching. The main problem with pulling with a rounded upperback is that the lockout is a bitch as often your delts are actually infront of the bar and you have horrible leverage. This is my issue and I am an 800lbs puller from the ground.. and a 400lbs puller above the knees haha.

THAT!!! I am very pulled over forward just before lockout and that's my main sticking point. I rack pull mid 700's and break 700 to my knees quite often but never get the full pull... just recently changed my technique and it seems to be paying off.