PDA

View Full Version : Solo or with affiliate?

thecityalive
11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Just curious to see who is CrossFitting where.
I know a lot of people have been CrossFitting at home/solo. Curious to see how that works out for people when the CrossFit community has a very positive group dynamic to it.

If you are with an affiliate, what are your dues?
The affiliate I trained at had dues of $100/month (before leaving our commercial gym).

alexdrum111
11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Well crossfitting is a good exersize & it helps a lot to main-ten your entire body. maximum persons try it at their home.

Patz
11-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Affiliate

$125

Happy to pay it. I was paying $75 but voluntarily bumped it up to help support the gym.

mike mcgee
11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Three years on my own (various reasons) at a commerical gym
Currently I am a trainer at an affiliate. The deal I made with them is work for free use of facility...

Disadvantages of training on my own were, lack of equipment (kettlebells, medballs, ropes, etc...), limited ability (gym rules) to do olympic lifts at commercial gym, with running WODs, had to use treadmill (and hope no one jumped on it in between sets).

If you want the true CrossFit experience, train at an affiliate. Even if just for a few months, then decide how you want to continue. Some boxes offer, punch cards, or memberships that are cheaper if you only do 2 or 3 x's a week.

RFabsik
11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
I train at home. Partially because I'm individually driven--meaning I like to do things my way. Second, because of the convenience. With kids and work, it's nice to be able to train before work, after work, late at night, any time on the weekend.

But, I think going to a box would be a great experience. First, to get critiques, there are so many movement patterns in CF that having an unbiased eye watch will just clean things up. Second, face to face training/competition can help someone go farther than they thought.

Occsaionally, my brother trains with me, so this helps a little to combat these problems of training at home.

The only other issue with an affiliate, is if the programming is programmed just for the group and not you. Great affiliates, I've heard, have a base program but tweek it to the needs and goals of their clients. I like a core strength program, which many affiliates do but many others do not.

If in the long run you need to train at home, it might be wise to go to an affiliate for 3-6 months to iron out the basics--not only the movements but a sense of how the WODs are run and how long term programming lasts.

Patz
11-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't do xfit in a commercial gym unless they had a large area with minimal activity goin on. Trying to keep equipment for multiple round workouts. Plus just the general stares and comments I would get would irritate me. Some people don't care about that but I do. We're joining the Y in addition to my affiliate membership, and I found a little indoor track with wide turns where I can jump rope, do pushups, etc.

chris mason
11-08-2011, 09:32 AM
The benefit of training at a box is you get a trainer who can help you when needed (for a lot less than you would pay a personal trainer) AND the group dynamic which is great for motivation etc.

ncsuLuke
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I work out at a box and absolutely love it. If I was going to xfit on my own it would have to be in a garage gym because I can't imagine going back to a globo gym. Not only would it be difficult to do all the wods on a busy day but I am used to bumper plates now and there is no way I could go back to not having them. I do plan on staying at my box though because I really enjoy the community aspect of it. Not only do I feel like it helps my workouts but I have definitely made a good number of friends from it as well. The coaching aspect is great too, it is real nice to have someone help me with the more intricate movements since I have never been trained in those lifts.

thecityalive
11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Not looking for tips on why one vs the other would be better, just starting a thread to see what kind of CrossFit location demographics we have here at WBB. (and to compare what everyone is paying- if you do wish to disclose that)

DoUgL@S
11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Affiliate. I just started, so once I learn Olylifts and some other things, I may re-evaluate and build a garage gym.

BilltheButcher
11-14-2011, 07:01 AM
I do not belong, but the xfit gym near me is $100 a month. I am joining in December. Problem is that I have hockey 3 times a week and basketball 1 night a week, not to mention running 2 businesses and a wife and 3 young kids. My wife wants to join also, which is cool.