PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing new gear

robertjr93
11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Okay well its getting about time for me to get some new gear. I'm going into multi-ply. Now which ever brand i go with i wanna go all out with them. Bench Shirt, Briefs, Squat suit and wraps. I'm looking at Titan, Metal, and OverKill. Just wanting some feedback on everything as i am young. I have some titan gear, inzer gear and metal gear already. But I plan on buying all new gear for my move into multi-ply

theBarzeen
11-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Gear is really just personal preference, man. Everyone on here can tell you what they like and why, but it won't be the same for everyone. My magic shirt might be garbage to another lifter and vice versus.

FWIW: I went all Overkill. 3-ply hybrid canvas suit ( with poly top AND crotch), 3-ply briefs, I had a stretchier 3-ply shirt, but went back to "old stinky" my original 2-ply shirt from early 2009. and a 2-ply deadlift suit. New Overkill wraps for knees and wrists. Maybe Rudy could put a logo on some underoos for my next meet too.
My 30 month old 2-ply shirt still has tons of pop, everything fits exactly how I'd like it to, and it costs less or = to everything else out there. It IS all great gear for me, but for a newer lifter it'd be.... overkill.... if you decide on Overkill I'd go with a looser canvas or 3-ply poly suit ( my wife is a mid 400's squatter and uses that over tight 2-ply briefs) and a scoop-neck non-gridstitched shirt. We had a new lifter come out last night, raw benching under 300 ( in the 275 class), after using a ratchet strap to get the shirt on ( it was really tight) he worked 315 down to a 1-board and hit a PR of 365 to a 1-board. In two weeks we'll take him to the chest with that. It takes some STONES to work a really tight shirt like that, but it can be done.

Good luck with whatever you decide though.

robertjr93
11-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Okay Thanks i really wanted overkill its not the briefs or suit i'm worried about from there but if the shirts are as tough as i've heard how could i get a shirt from overkill somewhat like how i would buy a stock shirt not loose but not overly tight?

theBarzeen
11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Okay Thanks i really wanted overkill its not the briefs or suit i'm worried about from there but if the shirts are as tough as i've heard how could i get a shirt from overkill somewhat like how i would buy a stock shirt not loose but not overly tight?

When you call Rudy to order just tell him that you are new to gear, not a big bencher, and want a looser fit. Honestly though, it just takes practice to touch in a tight shirt, don't be afraid of it. If you are anywhere near the chicago area feel free to come out and get a session in it..... that goes for all of you in internet land.

robertjr93
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Okay thanks for the advice but i stay in georgia

kingns
11-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Its gonna be ALLLLL personal preference. If your going metal the new jack line seems to be really good. Big iron and westside use all inzer so that must be good. I realy like my overkill shirt and some people seem to get good results with that line too. Titan is also best for single ply for sure but not that many people wear it for multi ply.
I would go with a particular brand if you have people to work with that are familiar with that brand so you can get more help with it. But in the end it doesnt really matter. Clearly Inzer, Metal and Overkill make really good multi ply gear.
If i were to go with multi ply IIII would choose overkill, simply because it is custom and you have a better chance of getting the right fit the first time, and it doesnt cost more than the stock sizes from metal and inzer.

robertjr93
11-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I know its personal preference. I like titan bench shirts specifically the F6 but i like how my metal squat gear works and i like inzers hardcore suit as a deadlift suit. I was just really thinking about going all overkill as i'm not worried to much about the squat suit and briefs but how hard is the overkill shirt compared to any stock shirts out there?

NickAus
11-09-2011, 01:49 AM
If it is gear for the first time just make sure its on the loose side........you can tighten as you get better in it.

I like Titan boss briefs for both squats and sumo pulls or even conventional pulls.

Metal make the best deadlift suits.

Dank27
11-09-2011, 05:06 AM
I recently made the change to Overkill from Inzer. The biggest change for me was Rudy's personal touch on getting gear to fit right and also helping me with pointers on break in. I would shoot him an email and chat a little about your situation and preferences and I am sure he will steer you in the right direction. However like everyone said it is very much about personal preference. Perhaps you should hunt down some used gear and try some out. Good Luck

Brian C
11-09-2011, 07:20 AM
First things first. Do you have knowledgable training partners? If not id serious reconsider working with multiply gear. For one, you will not get it on and off by yourself. Multiply gear is meant to be very tight, which breaking in shirts and suits is very dangerous without good help. Just trying to look out for you because you said you were young. Some young guys dont really understand.
As for the gear, like someone said, i would say to first maybe pick up some used multiply gear and give it a shot before you fork out big bucks on all new gear. I use (right now) a Titan Boss suit and briefs, a 3 ply Inzer Phenom shirt, and a Metal king sumo suit. I have a new Inzer canvas coming, but theres no reason to stay with one brand. You really need to get your hands dirty and see what works best for you. Browse around and you can find almost new gear for half the price. Once you figure out your likes, then go get some new stuff. Best of luck bud.

robertjr93
11-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks Brian C i have 2 very good powerlifters at my gym. Both have been doing it for over 10 years one has been doing it for almost 20. As he has a almost a 1900 pound total in the master 198 class. So i can learn. They love titan i like titan bench shirts but i would really like to try some other gear out. Overkill is what i would reallly like to try out but its hard finding it anywhere to fit. But once again thanks everybody for all the help

mastermonster
11-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I like Titan! Have tried Inzer, Metal, and even APT's Apex III (won't bore you with even commenting on how bad that was). I've not tried Overkill. Titan over all I've tried hands down. Sorry I can't give you feedback on overkill.

Rob Luyando
11-09-2011, 11:43 AM
As the legendary Mark Bell once said gear is gear. LOL!

Barzeen's advice is solid.

robertjr93
11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks everybody i think i'm gone go with overkill briefs and suit and stick with titan for my bench shirt.

Brian C
11-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks everybody i think i'm gone go with overkill briefs and suit and stick with titan for my bench shirt.

Good choice

Dank27
11-09-2011, 02:35 PM

I just got my Overkill 2ply poly suit on friday. I have only taken a few rack pulls in it but man is it quality stuff. Huge improvement over my old Max DL from Inzer.

robertjr93
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I just got my Overkill 2ply poly suit on friday. I have only taken a few rack pulls in it but man is it quality stuff. Huge improvement over my old Max DL from Inzer.

Thanks for that you mind letting me know if/when you squat in it