PDA

View Full Version : Bench shirt ?

JCooper
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I've owned blast shirts and a titan fury (which i hated) and recently purchased a rage x, which I trained in and did a comp in. My problem is I've only been successful with an elbows out style bench , every time I try tucking i dump the weights, which may be a technique problem (but I have researched this and seems common). My question is if I open the back and jack the shirt will it allow me to tuck and generate more power or should I just invest in a phenom or other shirt?

theBarzeen
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
It's not the shirt. As much as I'd like to tell you that it is, it isn't.

90% of the time you dump the weight to your belly ( and I don't mean to offend you here) because you pussy out when the shirt loads up. What happens is that the shirt loads up as you get near to your sternum and instead of just pulling the bar straight down to touch, you ( and most people who do this) just keep tucking and take the bar to their gut. What helps is to have a spotter call you. When you tuck on the descent and you have the bar over the right spot have them yell "pull" or something similar. At that point just picture a barbell row and pull straight in, no more tucking or taking the bar lower.

The other 10% is when you touch the weight and it gets away from you because you touched too low. To remedy, get your elbows under the bar ( see above on pulling it straight in).... and if this happens in a meet, just press slowly, sometimes you can recover if you don't try to blast it up and let it get away from you.

Again, sorry if that came off rude. Good luck with the shirt.

Dank27
11-09-2011, 05:11 AM
The situation that Barzeen described is exactly what I have been suffering from while learning my new Overkill shirt. For me making sure I have a knowledgable training partner has been huge for my progress. My previous shirt was arage x and what I actually did to help myself at first was to make a little chalk mark where I was trying to touch and really aim for that spot. The transition from allowing the weight to load the shirt and than actually pulling it down the rest of the way was the hardest to get used to. Keep at it. Work the gear dont let it work you.

JCooper
11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, your not rude I want the truth no matter how it might sound. Next time I train in my shirt I'll post a video for more critiques.