PDA

View Full Version : First BB Show Journal

TKisner
11-09-2011, 07:08 PM
So i've decided to do my first BB contest. Im 20 weeks 6 days out as of today. I really have next to no interest in BBing, but as someone who has been motivation by athletics and other competitive endeavors I feel like competition is something my life is lacking right now, and a BB contest is my answer to that problem. After i'm done with the show i'll do a powerlifting meet if I can find one locally and see what I can total. A long term goal of mine would be to total elite raw. I feel like I have a better chance of doing that at a low bodyweight. So dieting down will benefit my PL interests as well as be a nice challenge.

The program I will be following is Eric Cressey's show and go. I realize it's not a bodybuilding program, but my rationale for following show and go is this. I find bodybuilding training boring. I dont like training with machines, i'm not a big fan of isolation exercies, i prefer to lift heavy for lower reps. Will my results be optimal? Of course not. Will I be sucessful? I think the answer to that is yes. Considering my goals are to get BB lean as well as heal my various imbalances and nagging injuries to prime myself for a PL total at a weight much lower than I am now.

As far as how much I weigh. Im right around 205 right now. If I had to guess i'm probably in that 13-15% range of bodyfat. So assuming stage shredded is 3-4% and i'm 15% right now I have around 40lbs to lose. The dietary strategy is low carb for the most part. I have IBS which really precludes high carbs especially from grains. I'm trying to listen to smart people like Shelby and Meadows and not start out with a crazy diet ton of cardio etc. etc. I'll be no cardio, low ish carbs (still on the higher end relative to my norm), and I can't take any stimulants so those will be non-existent the whole time. Supplements will be a multi, cinnamon pills, and fish oil.

Enough of an introduction here was my last workout
Foam Roll
Dynamic Mobility Warm Up

A1. Front Squats 270x3 295x3 285x3 275x3
A2. Scapula Wall Slides
Last week I was a lot weeker. The weights here came as a surprise. I think actually doing front squats for a while will make them shoot up, and helps my ab strength.

B1. Speed DL 6x2 60 sec rest
These were okay. Some went up fast and easy. On others my form was less than stellar and I almost SLDL them.

C1. DB reverse deficit lunge 3x8/side 25lbs
C2. Pallof Press Iso Hold 3x3 48lbs

D1. Adductor Stretch
D2 Pec Stretch

TKisner
11-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I would log nutrition in here, but it's fairly boring to me. Maybe when I get closer to the nitty gritty I will, but until then just enjoy the workouts as much as I do. I've switched to the 3 day a week workout from the book for two reasons. The first of which is i'm sharing a car, and on show and go the fourth workout seemed pretty light so i'd rather have more free time and get my mind right for those 3 sessions.
Warm Up
Foam Roll
Dynamic Mobility

A1. Front Squat 135x3, 185x3, 225x1, 285x3, 305x3, 285x3
A2. Scapula Wall Slides 3x8

B1. Speed Deadlift 6x2 225lbs 60 seconds rest

C1. DB reverse lunge 3x10 40lbs
C2. Feet elevated push ups 3x10

D1. Pallof Press 10 sec. iso hold 3x10 48lbs
D2. Cable Rows 3x10 200lbs

E1. Split Stance Kneeling Adductor Stretch 2x30 sec
E2. Door Pec Stretch 2x30 Sec.

I was supposed to do 5 sets @ 90% of my max for the day. Frankly I can't remember if I did or not, but I'm happy that I got 305. I actually sniffed ammonia caps for the first time ever, and after an 8 1/2 hour day of work standing all day it definitely woke me up lol.

TKisner
11-17-2011, 04:16 PM
10/17
Foam roll and dynamic mobility

A1. CG BB Bench 135x3, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 225x3, 205x3, 205x3
A2 Chins w/fat grips 5x3

B1. Walking Lunges 4x6E 55lb
B2. BB Rows 3x10

C1. Ab Wheel 3x8
C2. Side Lying Ext. Rotations 3x10

D1. Forearm stretch 2x30 sec
D1. Walking spiderman stretch 2x5e

E1. Quadruped chin tucks

I started the day off by dropping my girlfriend off at a grocery store so she could get a ride with someone to a dance class she was teaching. I went inside grabbed shampoo and nail clippers. Walked outside realized I locked my keys in the car with my cellphone. So I ended up jogging home 2 miles mostly uphill to get the spare before someone we live with went to work. I had shorts boat shoes and a hoodie on. I was not ready for that.

Ending up going back to my old college to work out. Saw some uggo fat girls working out; leg extensions with 25lbs WoW! Did my workout my shoulders felt awkward with the CG bench, but the chins felt great so I was happy with it all overall. Im sure I can do more with the walking lunges, but i'm just taking it slow getting used to them. Plus after my marathon I felt like 55lbs per was enough.

cphafner
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
good luck in your show. Any starting pics?

TKisner
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Cphafner. Im not too sure on how to post pics up on here. If I figure it out ill throw some up. Here is yesterdays workout

Foam Roll
Mobility work

A1. Trap Bar Dead 5x5 385, 395, 395, 415, 385
A2. Ankle Mobs 4x8

B1. Natural Glute Ham Raises 6, 6, 6
B2. Alt DB Bench x5E 80, 85, 95

C1. Neutral Fat Gripz Pull Ups 5, 5, 5
C2. Side Bridge Wall Slides 3x10E

D1 Rear Trap Raises 3x10
D2. Adductor Stretch

E2. Heel to Butt stretch

I think I can probably straight bar dead more than I can trap bar. Its difficult to get centered, and where I work out doesn't have a 2nd set of handles on the bar so im starting from a lower point. All in all a good workout too. I had someone ask me how much I could squat I was pretty surprised that anyone knew what a squat was lol.

cphafner
11-22-2011, 08:48 PM
you can either save them on your hard drive and attach them, or use a site like photobucket to host them

TKisner
11-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Thursday

I only did dynamic mobility for a warm up because I forgot the foam roller.

A1. Close Grip Bench 185x3, 205x3, 215x3
A2. Neutral Pull Ups 3x3

B1. Walking DB Lunges 55lbs 3x6E
B2. Chest Supported Row 45lbx3x10

C1. Ab Wheeling 3x8
C2. Ext. Rotations 3x10

D1. Elbow/Wrist Flexor Stretch 2x30
D2. Walking Spidermans 2x5e

E1. Quadruped Chin Tucks 5 reps

I forgot to write this workout down so i'm just guessing on the #'s. I think the bench and the lunges had a higher weight but im really not too sure. The volume this week is a little bit lower to get ready for the next phase.

Today's Workout
Foam Roll/Dynamic Mobility warm up

A1. Trap Bar Deads x5 385 395 405 415
A2. Ankle Mobs 3x8E

B1. Natural Glute Hams 3x6
B2. DB Alt Bench x5 90, 90, 90

C1. Neutral Pullups 3x5
C2. Side Bridge Wall Slides 3x10

D1. Rear Delt Raises 2x10
D2. Adductor Stretch 2x30 sec

E1. Hip flexor stretch 30sec/e

I've been feeling really sick lately. I have IBS and it's been flaring up badly the last couple of days. My energy has been sapped. I bought some raw milk the other day which usually takes care of it, but when you health is all messed up it made me wonder if I wanted to do this at all. Im very excited for the next phase. It has some new movements and some old ones that I think i'll enjoy doing a lot. Plus I wont have to trap bar dead for a while and that makes me happy. Im not a huge fan of the thing, especially for five reps.