PDA

View Full Version : The Gym of your choice

robertjr93
11-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I love to just sit around and make my dream gym. So i was thinking somebody else might like to do it also. If you had pretty much an unlimited supply of money. What kind of gym would you build ex: Home, Warehouse, regular, and what all equipment would you have. i think you get the point just let your imagination go free remember we have unlimited money lol

RFabsik
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I have a home gym now and over the years have stocked it with a lot of gear. But if I'd have unlimited funds I'd love to upgrade stuff from the bare bones power rack, bench that I have now to either ones from Elite or Rogue.

Ideally, I'd love a warehouse so I could have an indoor climbing rope and an area of indoor turf so I could sled drag/prowler rain/sleet/snow/blizzard.

Plus my free lifting area is about 8x6" and having a nice lifting platform would rock too.

Not too many machines that I'd want besides what I got now. Maybe a nice iso-lateral leg press for variety and a good rear delt machine.

Mark!
11-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I've randomly thought about this. My answer would be a warehouse gym situated close to my house. There isn't a powerlifting/strongman gym near me, so that's what I'd focus on really. We have house of pain down the road from me, but no gym that typically fits the equipment they sell. It'd be furnished with Elite FTS equipment all the way through. Since money would be unlimited, I'd also look at top area trainers to come in and help as well. I guess I'd look to turning it in to a public gym, but keep rates low and provide that hardcore atmosphere throughout. Instead of being flamed for deadlifting, you'd be flamed for NOT deadlifting.

Pure Water
11-10-2011, 05:51 AM
I've randomly thought about this. My answer would be a warehouse gym situated close to my house. There isn't a powerlifting/strongman gym near me, so that's what I'd focus on really. We have house of pain down the road from me, but no gym that typically fits the equipment they sell. It'd be furnished with Elite FTS equipment all the way through. Since money would be unlimited, I'd also look at top area trainers to come in and help as well. I guess I'd look to turning it in to a public gym, but keep rates low and provide that hardcore atmosphere throughout. Instead of being flamed for deadlifting, you'd be flamed for NOT deadlifting.

I like it!

robertjr93
11-10-2011, 07:39 AM
My dream gym would be a pretty nice size warehouse gym. With turf inside so i could train athletes year around. Everything fitted from eliteFTS. I would split my gym up. I would buy a monolift, competition bench, and Westside powerack and 2 deadlift platforms which would be mainly for powerlifters use. All the bars you could imagine lol. I would then have 5 collegiate power racks fully dec'd out Bands, chains, boxes for all 5 and also for the powerlifters. Prowlers and sleds. Tires Tons of weights dumbells up to 130 and kettelbells. Chalk for days, Hardcore music all the time. Glute hams, reverse hypers pretty much everything to make my gym the best. Have an office uptop so i can just look out and see whats going on. Charge accordingly and fairly. Thats pretty much my dream gym

theBarzeen
11-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I am amazingly lucky to live in the chicagoland area.....

I train at my dream gym, the Overkill Power Pit. It is spartan, bare bones, hardcore. Very intense atmosphere and a very good crew of guys to push and be pushed by.

If, for some reason, that place was no longer.... a few miles further I have Ernie Frantz's gym and crew. Less hardcore environment, but very knowledgeable and has everything you need to do well in this sport. Look at all the guys that have come out of Ernies gym in the last 30 years and the record speaks for itself.

If, for some reason, that weren't an option, 10 minutes farther ( but in the other direction) I have Monster Garage. This place has EVERYTHING... way better facility than the previous two gyms, and a good crew as well. Not as experienced as Ernies or Overkill, not as hardcore as Overkill..... but a really great group of guys and a top notch facility. Now that I think about it, I need to make my way up there to lift soon. That crew is really cool.

If, for some reason all three of those went up in smoke, Zenzen's gym out in DeKalb is smaller, private, and has a much smaller crew. But Coach Zenzen is awesome, the guys out there are monsters, and the gym has everything you need.....

If, for some reason those were all gone, Jakked gym has a great facility. The crew is really inexperienced, but they are a great group of people and the gym is really nice. Good environment, loud music, lots of toys.

The big, take home message, is that as long as the gym has the bare essentials, the rest is all up to the crew that trains there. Train with the best to become the best. All the fancy equipment in the world won't make you a champion.

bhart89
11-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm in the process of building my home gym in my garage. It's about 20'x20' and I have just about everything I need. I would like to add a reverse hyper machine at some point but for now an 8' squat rack, flat bench, incline bench, lat pulldown / low row, dip/knee raise, GHD, Iron master dumbbells to 120lbs each, texas power bar, safety squat bar and about 900lbs of plates give me everything I need.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/bhart8911/ProMaximaLatPulldown.jpg

thecityalive
11-15-2011, 08:40 PM
I care more about the clientele than I do the equipment.

Granted, I would love to train at a place that was furnished by Elite FTS, but I would just like (for once) a good core of people that I can train with, rely on for on site critique, advice, and overall camaraderie. Putting up a video on youtube and having a few people comment on it is one thing, but feedback takes a while, and how you interpret said feedback can be different.

Training at a university gym is like playing Russian roulette with what people know, or think they know. I would be more concerned about eliminating that chance and having the ability to grow faster - as well as be given the opportunity to teach others (which is what I have been doing at my current place).

Travis Bell
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
^ Exactly

The group of people makes the gym, not the equipment. I'm extremely lucky to have the group at Westside as well as a solid core group at my own gym to train with.

mastermonster
11-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Since money is not an issue with this, here goes!

A coliseum sized facility with a strength and combative sports theme 'ONLY'. No fitness fluffers here! Powerlifters, Strongman, Competitive Bodybuilders (no recreational bodybuilders...just another name for fitness fluffers), Football players, Boxers, and MMA. NO CROSSFIT! Did I mention I hate CROSSFIT! LOL! They rank with fitness fluffers in my book! All the trainers would be trained by me! Not some 'Fluffer' training certification seminar! They would all be competitors in the sport area they train in!

It would have an indoor football field (turfed), Specialty rooms for powerlifting, strongman, boxers/MMA. And a central training center for accessary work and bodybuilders (serious ones). There would be a mirrored posing room for the bodybuilders to work on presentation (no posing in the training rooms!). Any accessary equipment I thought we needed, 4 monolifts, 4 comp benches, 4 deadlift platforms, Texas specialty bar at each. Chalk bowl at each. 4 power racks equipped with band hooks (oh yeah! Band hooks on all the monolifts and benches too!). Full sets of chains and hangers at each station, as well as bands. Board stacks at each bench. Boxes at each monolift. Central training room will have DBs from 5 lbs. (to accomadate re-had/prehab needs) to 250 lbs. A minimum of cardio equipment (treadmills mostly). A video setup at each PL station with TV monitor to check form feedback. A HUGE gym record and leader board. A dry erase lined wall board to figure %tages for periodization programs (complete with calculators). A pro-shop selling gear, gym shirts and protein, meal replacements, supplements, water and etc. Sleds, blocking sleds, cones etc. on the football field. There would also be an in-house office for an HRT/anti-aging doctor. This would all take up at least a block and of course there would be no gym dues since there's no way it would ever pay for itself anyway! Next; wake up from my dream and go out to our 12 x 24 ft. 'Monster Barbell'! Well...it was a nice dream! P.S. And HEAVY METAL blaring from all the speakers!!!!!!!

BloodandThunder
11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
From the perspective of someone who trains by himself:

I'll definitely make my own gym once I own a house but until then, the ability to do what I want is a premium I'll pay for. I'll pay more to go to a gym if I can use chains, bands, DL, etc. and not have 20 employees telling me "please stop." I don't need the fanciest equipment and I've tailored my training to work around what options I have. It would be nice to live around a really nice gym with a good team, but due to my line of work, it'd be hard to commit fully each and every week.

Absolutely agree with Travis though. I'm sure you could gut Westside down to a bar, a squat rack, a bench and some weights, and I'm sure they'd still be pumping out brutally strong people.

ScottYard
11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I would have air conditioning lol. Our gym will get into the 90s in the summer.

MarcusWild
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
^ Exactly

The group of people makes the gym, not the equipment. I'm extremely lucky to have the group at Westside as well as a solid core group at my own gym to train with.

Travis is right. I wrote an article about that in the first issue of "Power". Most people start a gym with a list of equipment. It should start with learning everything you can, so you can help make other people stronger. In turn, they'll help make you stronger.

It definitely takes time to build a successful gym. You don't just go buy a bunch of new equipment and people start posting elite totals and breaking world records.

I started 3 years ago in a 1-car garage with one power rack and one competition bench. It took about 6 months to out grow that. I moved to a 850 sq ft commercial space for 2-years. I have 1530 sq ft now. There's easily enough room to have 20-25 people training at the same time. We split upper and lower days by strength level to use the space more efficiently.

theBarzeen
11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
^ Exactly

You put it better than I did, but we are saying the same thing..... it's the crew that makes the gym, not the other way around.

patos
11-17-2011, 01:39 AM
My dream gym would have a powerrack, a barbell, a flat bench, 1000lbs and it would include Ed Coan and Doug Young as training partners.

vdizenzo
11-17-2011, 07:13 AM
I'd have them re-open the original Southside Gym in Stratford, CT. Nothing fancy, actually a little scary. You had to get a tetanus shot before joining.

JK1
11-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I own it... yes I wish it could be bigger with some more equipment and yes I wish we had a few more people on a regular basis, but the bottom line is we have what we need to train.

We also all follow the most important rule---help each other get stronger.

SEOINAGE
11-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I care more about the clientele than I do the equipment.

Granted, I would love to train at a place that was furnished by Elite FTS, but I would just like (for once) a good core of people that I can train with, rely on for on site critique, advice, and overall camaraderie. Putting up a video on youtube and having a few people comment on it is one thing, but feedback takes a while, and how you interpret said feedback can be different.

Training at a university gym is like playing Russian roulette with what people know, or think they know. I would be more concerned about eliminating that chance and having the ability to grow faster - as well as be given the opportunity to teach others (which is what I have been doing at my current place).

On a rare occasion when I am traveling to visit family I have a group of guys that always lifts at the same time on saturdays so I hit them up, where I do my PRs. But otherwise in my garage, small town, don't know a soul who lifts for strength here.