PDA

View Full Version : Heating Whey Powder, **AND** Crazy-high fiber intake questions

BetweenTheLines
11-17-2011, 03:37 PM
1) Heated Whey-
I know that something happens to <some?> proteins when heated, 'denaturing' I believe. Lately I've been adding whey powder to hot stuff like oatmeal, heated peanut butter (so good!), coffee, etc. Laugh all you'd like :) Anyways am I hurting my protein when, say, dumping a scoop of protein into hot coffee?

2) Fiber-
In light of protein, calorie, and fiber needs, I grew incredibly fond of beans in the past 6mo. I just realized that on many/most days I'm flying past 50g of fiber, and that sometimes I'm going considerably higher than that. Is there anything to be aware of wrt super-high-fiber diets?

Thanks in advance
(oh- how good/bad is the protein from beans for anabolism?)

K-R-M
11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
1. No. Denaturing is what happens when you digest, it needs to be done, so there's no problems.

2. Are you seeing any health/digesting problems? Recommended intake is between 20 to 35gs per day, 50 is fine.

3. Anabolism? They're calories, not steroids. Don't eat fava beans if you suffer from favism, that's it.

tom183
11-17-2011, 11:02 PM
most days I'm flying past 50g of fiber

How far past?

BetweenTheLines
11-18-2011, 03:29 PM
1. No. Denaturing is what happens when you digest,

yes, it would appear... cooking eggs 'denatures' them.

3. Anabolism? They're calories, not steroids. Don't eat fava beans if you suffer from favism, that's it.
lol dude calories are req'd for anabolism, but I wasn't referring to the calories so much as I was the amino composition of the beans. Plant source suck for anabolism when compared to meat/dairy sources. I was just hoping to hear some kinda relationship to determine how inferior they actually are.

How far past?

80, maybe 100g some days. If I'm going ~50g/day average with spikes up to 100g, and have been doing this for a while / continue to do this, is there any possible worries outside of constipation?

K-R-M
11-18-2011, 04:17 PM
yes, it would appear... cooking eggs 'denatures' them.

Let me reiterate. Protein denaturation happens when you digest. It also happens when you heat protein. In both cases, wether due to heat or acidity, the effect is the same, the 3D configuration of protein due to non-covalent bonds get broken, they become like a long chain that's easily cleaved by your digestive enzymes. It will be done, whether before or/and after it enders your gastrointestinal tract, your whey isn't of lesser quality if you put it in coffee.

lol dude calories are req'd for anabolism, but I wasn't referring to the calories so much as I was the amino composition of the beans. Plant source suck for anabolism when compared to meat/dairy sources. I was just hoping to hear some kinda relationship to determine how inferior they actually are.

They're a carb source with protein content. The protein doesn't have a complete amino acid profile. What does this mean for anabolism? Nothing, in fact, you could say the insulin response due to the carbs make them superior for anabolism. In the end, it means nothing unless you're eating a calorie surplus of only one type of bean with trace amounts of any food containing the amino acid the beans are deficient in. Like I said, they're not a steroid, neither is meat, neither augment/reduce protein synthesis in a significant way, your organism doesn't distinguish between amino acid sources as long as it's getting what it needs. In short, you're fine.

tom183
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Plant source suck for anabolism when compared to meat/dairy sources. I was just hoping to hear some kinda relationship to determine how inferior they actually are.

It doesn't really matter unless you're vegan or for some other reason beans are your only source of protein.

80, maybe 100g some days. If I'm going ~50g/day average with spikes up to 100g, and have been doing this for a while / continue to do this, is there any possible worries outside of constipation?

Proabably not. Maybe flatulence, stomach cramps.

BetweenTheLines
11-19-2011, 01:18 PM
For some reason I don't get *any* stomach cramping or gas from my diet, luckily. I suspect it has to do with my intake's consistency, ie if I were jumping the fiber levels up/down i wouldn't be able to do it as comfortably.

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't degrading the whey at all, half the time I was making luke-warm coffees because of my uncertainty ;p

BetweenTheLines
11-19-2011, 01:21 PM
OH and re plant.versus.animal proteins, it's really that irrelevant if you're getting 'some' of the complete sources?
Example- if one were getting 150g protein daily, and only 25g of it came from meat/dairy, the rest coming from vegetables/grains/etc, they wouldn't get any reasonable benefits by trying to convert more of that 150g away from plants and towards meats?
That's quite contrary to the commonly preached "eat as much meat as possible" rhetoric.