PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me box squat advice?

K Y L E
11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't have much trouble with regular squats. I always go ass to grass when I squat, but when it comes to box squats, I have a lot of trouble getting out of the bottom position, when its nowhere near my max weight (185x2 instead of 245 regular a2g squats). Am I using too much weight for DE?

RFabsik
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
A video might help people find any weakness that is keeping your box squat down.

For DE squats you should be using between 50-70% of your squat 1RM for doubles.

Your trouble on the box might be that you squat in an olympic style squat hence strong quads and maybe a good bounce out of the bottom. Whereas the box squat relies more on the posterior chain and less bounce. A video of both your regular squat and box squat might help.

K Y L E
11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
How do I lift with the posterior chain rather than with my quads/hamstrings? I'll try and get a video tomorrow.

RFabsik
11-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Posterior chain typically implies hamstrings, glutes, low back and "hips".

In an olympic squat--the squat is more upright and the body motion is more just up down. So quads take on more work here compared to a powerlifting style squat.

In the powerlifting style, typically used for box squatting--your body should move back before moving down, this will help load the weight on the posterior chain. As you come off the box, make sure you drive your knees out and push you feet wide into the ground and drive the glutes/hips.

K Y L E
11-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks man, you've been really helpful

mastermonster
11-21-2011, 12:16 PM
As already mentioned, you probably rebound out of the hole with an 'ass to grass' squat. The box squat stops you short of that rebound point you are accustomed to. My cousin Todd McKee from back in the 80's had the wickedest dive bomb squat I ever saw! He squatted 550 raw @ 165 at about 20 years old. But he couldn't stop at parellel with under 500 and come back up. This is probably the same situation you're having with your box squats. It's not neccessarily a bad thing. You are working a weak point in your squat by stopping at the box. It should help your squat in the long run. Like working off boards from the weak point in your bench stroke. Good luck!