PDA

View Full Version : This is probably a stupid question regarding deadlifts in meets.

K Y L E
11-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Are there any specific rules? Like for bench press you have to hold the weight up, drop it down by their command, bring it to touch your chest in a slow, controlled manner, wait for their command again, then push; for squat go down on their command, get to the place where your knees are parallel, wait for their command, and go back up. For deadlift my back is always really rounded and theres not much I can do to correct that. I was just wondering if in a competition I had to have it straight and linear, or if I could go with my form. Is it just lift the bar up, straighten out your body, wait for their command and bring it down at your control?

Murderous
11-20-2011, 08:51 PM
You could have a slightly rounded upper back as many of the strongest deadlifters in the world (such as KK and Bolton) do. As long as you aren't hitching and hold it until he gives you the command to drop the weight then it'll pass.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8

K Y L E
11-20-2011, 10:02 PM
thanks man, p.s. konstantin konstantinovs is bad-ass :p

theBarzeen
11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
The above poster covered it for the deadlift..... go pick it up (without hitching it) and wait until the judge tells you to put it down...

but you added an extra command in your description of a squat. For the squat you unrack the weight, the judge signals you to take the weight down, there is no signal to come back up, you just drop down and hope you get deep enough or have a buddy call you up. After you stand back up with the weight the judge will call for you to rack the weight like in the bench press.

Ripe1
11-22-2011, 04:45 AM
There is no command to DROP the weight. As Barzeen said you put the bar down, do not drop it. I have given red at meets for dropping the weight even when it was only like 2 inches.