PDA

View Full Version : adductor/groin issues - plyos to strengthen?

JSully
11-21-2011, 07:24 AM
So I pulled my groin ***AGAIN*** throwing o-stone on saturday. I dropped a really nice one out there at 49' which was a training PR and was looking for 50' when it popped again. I've pulled it about 5-6 times this year, mostly in the last 3 months. They have all been very minor to the point where I can squat, throw and jump with no pain 3-4 days later. Last year I had a fairly serious groin pull (same side = right adductor) that took about 6 weeks to heal. I'm guessing that it keeps pulling due to residual scar tissue from the original tear. It's extremely hard to get to that exact area with the foam roller so I'm going to be getting some deep tissue work done 2x/week for the next couple weeks.

My thoughts on how to make this area stronger: side to side/diagonal plyo jumps. I'm obv creating more power than this area can handle so I need to strengthen it up by 1) breaking down any weaknesses it has, such as scar tissue and 2) working the motion that it keeps failing on.

What are your thoughts?

Travis Bell
11-21-2011, 08:15 AM
rolling on a lacrosse ball might help.

What are you doing for warmup? Flexibility might be more the issue.

JSully
11-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I can't get the proper angle to attack the trouble area with a roller or lacrosse ball. I've got some pvc and a dowell laying around, I'm going to try to get after it rolling pin style.

This happened 2 1/2 hours into my throws session, so it was plenty warmed up. When it happened last time (during competition), it happened on my 2nd throw of the 2nd event, so roughly an hour and a half into comp.

My warmups consist straight leg kicks, knee raises, dynamic side to side groin stretches, stiff leg deads with no weight, free squats and lunges.

I think it comes down not doing enough unilateral stuff, plus old scar tissue that keeps giving on me. What do you think?

JSully
11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
What do you suggest for increasing flexibility in that area? A lot of static stretching in the evening?

BloodandThunder
11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.thecountymedicalexaminers.com/anatomy/

Can you pinpoint what muscle it is? Before attacking it with plyometrics, be sure to know what exactly is wrong. That might be too much stress.

JSully
11-21-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.thecountymedicalexaminers.com/anatomy/

Can you pinpoint what muscle it is? Before attacking it with plyometrics, be sure to know what exactly is wrong. That might be too much stress.

I believe it would be the Gracilis.

The issue happens exclusively when I'm throwing stone, or you could think about it the same was as if I were throwing a shotput. As I come around the spin, I plant my right leg and my left leg follows around. It plants and I hold my upper body back towards the back of the throwing area. The right knee continues to push in and pivot the foot until the hips are as separated as possible and then you explode, allowing your upper body to slingshot around to push the shot/stone. My farthest standing throw is 43' and I hit 49' in training saturday before pulling it again. My tehcnique is decently solid, albeit still a tidbit inconsistant. The throw I pulled the groin on felt the exact same as the prior PR throw, except it was too much for the adductor to handle.

Prior to about 3 weeks ago, I did no unilateral work at all and I'm thinking that has really hurt my progress because both legs are not firing simultaneously, there is a fraction of a second difference as the right is driving forward and the left is driving up and back.

JSully
11-21-2011, 08:56 AM
http://photos.scobelwigginsphotography.com/d/31564-2/05-25+tr+state+shot+put+sw_sm.jpg

no, that's not a picture of me above but this is about a hair after where I feel it pull.

between figure 15-6 and 15-7 is where, specifically, the pull is occuring (in a timeline)

http://www.runningromans.com/How%20To/Shot%20Put.JPG

because I was not a T&F thrower, it's very difficult for me to pinpoint the specific issue, however, I keep coming back to the semi-serious tear I had last year and how I never had it worked on (deep tissue). When that happened, I wasn't warmed up very well at all.

From the standpoint of technique, I've read the spin (south african) is supposed to give you anywhere from 6-10 feet on your standing throw. I'm getting about 6ft so I think my technique is good.