PDA

View Full Version : time to buy a belt

everphilski
11-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Right now I just wear a pair of TK knee sleeves for support when lifting. I would like to compete raw at some point and I know I can use a belt. I'm looking at the "Inzer Forever Lever Belt 10mm." I know I could do worse; but is that about what you guys would suggest to start with?

thanks,

philip

theBarzeen
11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
It depends on what you want, man.

I love my Bobs Belt. You can order them however you want and in whatever colors you want. It will last forever, but for a brand new lifter they are expensive.

Inzer is okay, but expensive for what it is. The elitefts belts are the same quality for less money.

10mm is probably fine for everything you are going to do with it.....

everphilski
11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Which EliteFTS belt? The Economy Single Prong?

Looking at their site (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=299) they have their EFS lever belt on clearance but only size 3XL and the Economy Single Prong. The others appear to be attachments or lift-specific belts.

thecityalive
11-22-2011, 03:01 PM
What is your weight/ waist size?

everphilski
11-22-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm 6'0", 195lbs, waist is 36" around the navel.

Brian C
11-22-2011, 03:45 PM
EliteFTS Economy single prong will suit you fine

everphilski
11-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Inzer is okay, but expensive for what it is. The elitefts belts are the same quality for less money.

EliteFTS Economy Single Prong: $69.99
Inzer 10mm latch: $67

Am I missing something? Comparing to the wrong model?

EliteFTS Economy single prong will suit you fine

Is there a quality difference between Inzer and EFTS?

Thanks.
philip

jtteg_x
11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I never used EliteFTS belts but I can vouch for the Inzer 10mm as that's what I use for my DL/SQ. solid belt and been using the same one for 4+ years. single prong FTW

ThomasG
11-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I've used Elitefts economy belt and Inzers belt.

I vote Inzer.

everphilski
11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

thecityalive
11-22-2011, 07:16 PM
My first and current belt is an Inzer Forever 10mm double prong. I have no problem with the fact that it's a double prong. Some people vouch for a single (because some claim it to be a pain to take off a double) but I find the double easy to put on/ take off.

ThomasG
11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Also The elitefts economy belt comes stiff as fuck! I stomped the hell out of it, ran it over with my car, put it through the dishwasher, used it for 6+ month's and it still was stiff. That thing would not break in. Inzers belt came practically broke in already it was very nice.

Dank27
11-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I had both 13 and 10mm inzer belts. The 10mm was preferable to me because it was fairly easy to break in.

Most quality belts (inzer, eltfts, bobs, etc) will work great for you. Just pick one and don't over think it. Good luCK

Brian C
11-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Just get a single prong belt. Its not much thinking to it. Speaking from experience, a lever belt is a pain in the ass if you use different sizing between raw, brief, and suit. Single prong is easy to get on and off. 10mm is all you need. I still use a 10mm for a 700+ squat. Unless your much higher then that, you will not notice a difference in belts at all. Like Dank said, dont overthink it. :) Best of luck

theBarzeen
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
EliteFTS Economy Single Prong: $69.99
Inzer 10mm latch: $67

Am I missing something? Comparing to the wrong model?

Is there a quality difference between Inzer and EFTS?

Thanks.
philip

The last time I shopped for belts was a few years ago..... at that time Elite was a good $20 less than Inzer.... thanks for posting, I had no idea that the prices were that high now......

If you are dropping $70 on a belt that's all the more reason to spend the extra $20 and go Bobs belt.

barryisawinnah
11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Also The elitefts economy belt comes stiff as fuck! I stomped the hell out of it, ran it over with my car, put it through the dishwasher, used it for 6+ month's and it still was stiff. That thing would not break in. Inzers belt came practically broke in already it was very nice.

This is true, but once I finally got it broke in, I really love it.

Dank27
11-25-2011, 01:43 AM
I actually noticed Elitefts is having a huge sale for the holiday season and I just picked up one of those Spud Deadlift belts for like 35$. I have heard a lot of good things about it and my gut sometimes gets pinched under the stiffer belts.

Check them out for sales on other belts also

barryisawinnah
11-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I actually noticed Elitefts is having a huge sale for the holiday season and I just picked up one of those Spud Deadlift belts for like 35$. I have heard a lot of good things about it and my gut sometimes gets pinched under the stiffer belts.

Check them out for sales on other belts also

They are nice, I have one that I actually use for like heavy overhead, and stuff like conans wheel and shit. The only "problem" with the spud belt is that if you are a powerlifter, that I don't think at all feds approve it for use in their meets.

mastermonster
11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
If you are using the same belt for all three lifts get 10mm and single prong. If you really want to specialize things you can use a different belt for each lift depending on specific needs for that lift. I use a narrow belt to bench, a tapered front belt to DL, and a 13mm belt to squat. All single prong. I also have a very expensive lever 13mm belt that just hangs on the wall of the gym. I compete raw and equipped and I have the need for too many adjustment changes depending on what I'm wearing at different times of a workout for the lever to be practical. The single prong is sturdy, simple and always ready to crank it to want ever size you need. I've used Inzer, APT, American Belt Co., and Toro. They are all good (belts are a pretty simple concept). Give the belts on Titan's site a look before you make up your mind also. Good luck!

Pure Water
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
If I'm ordering an Inzer 10mm, single prong belt (from Inzer), how do I know what size to get? Do I just measure around my lower back and over my belly button? I don't have to pull the tape tight or blow my belly out or anything like that? If so, then I measured 37 inches and so I guess I would go with a large (36-39)?

Also, when should I start using a belt? I'm thinking that I'm just going to use it for my deadlifts for now because I can't keep my lower back arched once I start doing about 250 lbs for 5 reps. My lower back always rounds on the last rep and of course when the weight gets heavier, I do even less reps and it starts to round already. I've been working on my abs and lower back every workout, trying to get it stronger but I still have that problem. So should I use a belt for deadlifting and when should I use a belt for the squats, bench press, and military press?

Thanks.

BTW, I'm currently doing 5/3/1 using the BBB template.

Okay I just watched a video from Jason Pegg about belts and I just learnt that they're not for supporting your back but instead to help you lift more weight, so I guess I don't need a belt then?

RFabsik
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Purewater--
I'm new to belts too. Been using one usually on my final couple of sets of squats and deadlifts. Haven't tried to use them on overhead press or bench.

I found that using a belt helps give my body feedback on positioning and stability. Helps me understand how to brace as I squat and deadlift--resulting in heavier lifts feeling locked in better.

I agree that it isn't there to protect the back.

I got mine from Inzer, 10mm, single prong. Measure where you are going to wear the belt, which is typically around the belly button. I think I measured around 35, I was on the cusp between M and Large. I got the large, and found it was too big for me, so I returned it and they send me a medium instead, no complaints.

Pure Water
02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Purewater--
I'm new to belts too. Been using one usually on my final couple of sets of squats and deadlifts. Haven't tried to use them on overhead press or bench.

I found that using a belt helps give my body feedback on positioning and stability. Helps me understand how to brace as I squat and deadlift--resulting in heavier lifts feeling locked in better.

I agree that it isn't there to protect the back.

I got mine from Inzer, 10mm, single prong. Measure where you are going to wear the belt, which is typically around the belly button. I think I measured around 35, I was on the cusp between M and Large. I got the large, and found it was too big for me, so I returned it and they send me a medium instead, no complaints.

I too always thought that it could help me remember to push my stomach out like you're saying how it helps you to brace yourself. The big reason why I was going to buy a belt was so that my lower back would stay arched during heavier deadlifts but I don't know if I should get one now or wait.

And that was probably sucky for you that you had to return the belt for a smaller size and wait another while :( . I guess I'd go with the large then since it's a 37 around my belly button which is I think where I'm going to be wearing it? Maybe slightly lower.

RhodeHouse
02-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Wouldn't it make sense for a belt that is made for support to be stiff??????????????????????? Maybe I'm retarded, but I always thought the point of the belt was to be stiff for support. What do I know?

I would go single prong. The lever is great, but I use the belt at different tighnesses for squatting, pulling and benching. If you're bying 1 belt, buy a single prong. Your next belt can be a lever.

Pure Water
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't it make sense for a belt that is made for support to be stiff??????????????????????? Maybe I'm retarded, but I always thought the point of the belt was to be stiff for support. What do I know?

I would go single prong. The lever is great, but I use the belt at different tighnesses for squatting, pulling and benching. If you're bying 1 belt, buy a single prong. Your next belt can be a lever.

You read my mind!

RhodeHouse
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
You read my mind!

Great minds...

RFabsik
02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
The big reason why I was going to buy a belt was so that my lower back would stay arched during heavier deadlifts but I don't know if I should get one now or wait.

And that was probably sucky for you that you had to return the belt for a smaller size and wait another while :( . I guess I'd go with the large then since it's a 37 around my belly button which is I think where I'm going to be wearing it? Maybe slightly lower.

The belt will be able to give you some kinesthetic feedback so if you are starting to round the belt will feel a little different.

Yeah, it may be a pain to return, but the good news is they have a reasonable return policy--they suggest you try it on ASAP, and if the fit is bad send it back. They didn't give me a hard time at all and send me the new one asap.

Pure Water
02-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I'll think about it. I'm gonna try to search around some more to see if I can find out things. Thanks.

mickles
02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I recently purchased a 11mm single prong from dinostrength.com

The belt feels great and got here quick. The guy I emailed with questions was very helpful and timely in his response i recommend it.

The belt is also only $35 shipped!

BrianCainIsHOT
02-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I've used my 10mm inzer 2 workouts a week for 3 years. Still as good as new.

You may also look at the Toro Roller belt from Liftinglarge.com their shipping is by far the fastest of the big 4 (Inzer, Elite, APT etc)

Stonecutter
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I bought mine from best belts, but seems like their site is gone....unfortunate because customer service was awesome - and I have heard the opposite about Inzer