PDA

View Full Version : What is a good, cheap bodybuilding diet?

arry
11-24-2011, 02:45 AM
I am 5'10" and 172 pounds. I am a little over weight and I wanted to know if i started a bodybuilding diet if it would make me gain back all the weigh I lost before. Bodybuilding diets are usually high calorie diets with high protein intake, Please help.

tom183
11-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I wanted to know if i started a bodybuilding diet if it would make me gain back all the weigh I lost before

If it has enough calories, yes. If it doesn't, no.

GWilly
11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
It depends. To lose weight you have to move more and eat less. To gain weight just eat more. Seriously though, just eating a bodybuilder's diet isn't going to make you drop weight.. you have to count calories and workout HARD to lose weight. Nothing is easy in this life my friend.

Behemoth
11-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I am 5'10" and 172 pounds. I am a little over weight and I wanted to know if i started a bodybuilding diet if it would make me gain back all the weigh I lost before. Bodybuilding diets are usually high calorie diets with high protein intake, Please help.

Ground beef.

Tom Mutaffis
11-26-2011, 08:58 AM
"Bodybuilding" can mean different things to different people, but in general a bodybuilding diet is the diet that you follow to get in shape to step on stage (typically involves losing a significant amount of weight and bodyfat). An 'off season' diet would be more of a 'bulking' or weight gain diet.

If you are simply looking to gain weight without spending a ton of money I would focus on the following foods:

- Milk
- Eggs
- Ground Beef
- Natural Peanut Butter
- Bananas

You should be able to consume 4,000+ calories and over 200 grams of protein for under $10/day.

thecityalive
11-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Tuna is great too. Cheap, cheap protein.

method115
11-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Tuna is great too. Cheap, cheap protein.

Yea it is. I have to get to my HEB at certain times otherwise the cheapest tuna is always gone.

Off Road
11-27-2011, 09:24 AM
- Milk
- Eggs
- Ground Beef
- Natural Peanut Butter
- Bananas
Great list.

greemah
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
If you are simply looking to gain weight without spending a ton of money I would focus on the following foods:

- Milk
- Eggs
- Ground Beef
- Natural Peanut Butter
- Bananas

Hi Tom, just wondering why you put bananas specifically in this list? Is it because it's a higher calorie fruit or because it has a good amount of high GI carbs (good post workout), or another reason?

thecityalive
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Bananas have a high glycemic index which is perfect for PWO consumption/insulin level spiking. If his goal is hypertrophy, eating one of these is perfect for any one.

...at least that's why I'd put them on the list (plus, they are pretty cheap).

Behemoth
11-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi Tom, just wondering why you put bananas specifically in this list? Is it because it's a higher calorie fruit or because it has a good amount of high GI carbs (good post workout), or another reason?

Bananas have a high glycemic index which is perfect for PWO consumption/insulin level spiking. If his goal is hypertrophy, eating one of these is perfect for any one.

...at least that's why I'd put them on the list (plus, they are pretty cheap).

I don't think it has anything to do with GI or insulin (which fructose doesn't really impact anyway). They're very cheap real food calories.

K.Huget
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM
-Oats
-beans (black, kidney)
-lentils
-pasta

alexspt
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I personally found that loading up on peanut butter, pastas with extra protein added, and bulk chicken packs (usually 10 dollars a week) are the cheapest/healthiest for a bodybuilding diet.