PDA

View Full Version : westside - bench routine critique pls

xolix
11-30-2011, 06:11 AM
i am a raw drugfree lifter and want to do westside for benchpress only . can anybody help me with volume , intensity on assistancework and program set up ?

my idea :

day 1 :
max effort work up to 1rm ( chainbench/paused bench/bandbench/deload 5 x 5 sets )
one or two sets of 3-5 with same mainexercise
dumbbellbench 2 x 8-12
bb or db rows 3-5 x 10
biceps 2 sets

day 2 : speedbench 8 x 3 (straight w. , chains or bands every 3 weeks , 4. week i use RE 15-25 rep bench)
shoulderwork (military press / db press ) 3 x 8-12
pull ups 5 x 10
bent laterals 2 x 12
pushdowns 3 x 12-20

should i do some heavyer tricepswork on my speedday like 3boards 3 x 5 or ist it better to use a heavy-day (max effort) and a speed-pump-day ?

could i do something different to NOT overtrain ? this was my biggest problem in the past where i used westside . is the overheadwork too much for recovery ?

Chicksanboy
11-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Go to Westside-barbell.com and read through some of their bench articles. Mr Simmons does a pretty good job laying it all out, but Ill give you and example of what I do. Bare in mind, Im nobody special, im not a pro anything nor am I a record holder. This is from this past mondays ME Lift:

Bench against double minis: 5x95, 135, 3x185, 225, 1x275, 295, 315, 335 then go stapled with 345. The bands game me roughly 70lbs of tension at the top.

Close Grip with same band set-up: 10x135, 185, 8x225

Rear Laterals: 3x10
Pushdowns: 3x10
Ab Work: 3x10

Next week, all exercises will be different. Hope this helps a bit

vdizenzo
11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
You need to incorporate a supplemental tricep movement on both days. Doing the same full range work for a couple sets of reps after ME work is not enough to get the triceps where they need to be for pressing. Special supplemental exercises are better. Also, you need more rear delt/upper back work. Rear delt and tricep strength are crucial to benching.

Travis Bell
11-30-2011, 12:39 PM
triceps, triceps and more triceps

Also, missing weights in training is a bad thing. Know when you've hit your max

BloodandThunder
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
What the above guys said. Plus wave your program to lift a planned maxout/meet so that you're more lift specific towards that day.

Where do you fail on bench? What's your competition grip? What leverages do you need to improve?

Unless you're very new to the conjugate system, you need to think some things out before just doing a basic template.

xolix
11-30-2011, 02:37 PM
westside isn't new to me , i trained with it a long time , but i didn't know whats too much for me , that was my biggest mistake . how i said, i lift raw and this is a reason why i don't do boardstuff for me work , because i know its better for me to work the full rom , some older me-cycles was like this : floorpress, boardpress , inclinepress , on week 4 i came on bench , and it was not a good feeling because the whole bench technique was not trained enough with big weights . so 2-3 chains per side and a set of monsterminis and straight bench are my choices for max effort .

heavy tricepswork , high boards , cg-floorpress , should i use this on me-day or de-day ?

BloodandThunder
11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Your competition bench technique should be worked on during speed bench. Alot of lifters go through the motions with speed bench and won't see a carryover to their max bench because of that. Your ME days should give you a direct indication to how your strength is moving and it teaches the body to strain under very heavy loads. If you're setting PRs and your DE days are fast and technique is sound, you're in line for a competition bench PR.

I personally utilize heavy lockout work for ME day because I like to compound all my intensity work on ME day and keep it low volume. I'm not a bench only person though. There's more than one way to skin a cat though.

Maybe try:
ME Day: Rotate Floor press with comp grip, Cambered Bar bench, 1 board, Incline Press then follow with close grip work against bands, reverse band, or against chain for 3RM or volume. Assistance work.
DE Day: Speed bench rotating acc. resistance every cycle. Followed by OH Press and/or extension work. Assistance work.

Again you'll have to experiment, so look around at some big benchers who follow conjugate method. Set up a plan for a few cycles and follow it. Then reevaluate and move on. Don't worry about being non-lift specific when you're not peaking and tapering for a meet.

vdizenzo
12-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Here's an article Rhodes wrote on my programming for my first 600 raw bench. It might give you some ideas. I have since added more tri work and rear delt work, but it's a solid no nonsense plan. http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/six-hundred-pounds-of-raw-bench/

BloodandThunder
12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Here's an article Rhodes wrote on my programming for my first 600 raw bench. It might give you some ideas. I have since added more tri work and rear delt work, but it's a solid no nonsense plan. http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/six-hundred-pounds-of-raw-bench/

OP I suggest you start with this.