PDA

View Full Version : Extreme walking whilst training

GazzyG
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey guys,

going to be doing a sponsored walk for charity in April. 100 miles.

Will be doing it over 5 days, 20 miles a day.

With that in mind, I'm going to have to build up my stamina this next coupla months.

Was wondering if going out for consecutive long walks in training is going to impact on my weights training at all?

krazylarry
12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
The fact that you are burning so many extra cals, yes there will be some effect. But if you eat enough you will not hurt your lifting. But if you are doing 20 miles a day you are going to need at least another 2500 cals on top of what you already eat.

GazzyG
12-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Wow - that's a lot of extra calories.

That'll be fine when I'm training in the run up to the walk, but during the walk we'll be camping each night. I'm going to really struggle to get that kind of calories each day. However, I suppose I won't be weight training during the actual walk week, therefore I won't be needing as many calories.

GazzyG
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Just saw that you can get Emergency Ration Bars that pack 2400cals into one bar.

That might be an idea for the walk, as they're small and very inexpensive.

thecityalive
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Walking doesn't burn that many calories. It probably would if you were unfit, but unless you are walking a marathon, you should be fine.

joey54
12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I thought extreme walking is when you do back flips off walls and rail slides? Shit like that.

Brian C
12-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Walking doesn't burn that many calories. It probably would if you were unfit, but unless you are walking a marathon, you should be fine.

20 miles IS almost a full marathon. And doing it 5 days at that. My body hurts just thinking about it!

thecityalive
12-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Oh missed the whole 20 miles part.

GazzyG
12-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh missed the whole 20 miles part.

It's 100 miles over 5 days bud, so several marathons, lol. :) So will be averaging 20 miles a day.

Sorting out some serious walking boots and walking poles, camping each night so getting a pop-up tent too.

I've driven from Leicester to London many times so it'll be really interesting to walk it, haha.

ScottYard
12-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Up.the foam rolling big time. My wife does marathon and it is hell on the body. 20 miles is.a lot of steps. Roll,roll,roll!

GazzyG
12-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Up.the foam rolling big time. My wife does marathon and it is hell on the body. 20 miles is.a lot of steps. Roll,roll,roll!

Thanks Scott! Will remember to take it with me, could be useful each night and morning.

J.C.
12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I've done a couple of 21 mile walks for charity before and it's not really that bad as long as you're in good shape. That was just one day though, so doing it five days in a row is a whole other deal.

It will make an impact on your weight training at first but as you improve your conditioning, it will have less of an effect.

My advice would be to go on a big hill-walk each weekend from now on. Break in those boots and get used to being out for 4-5 hour walks. You'll be adapted for any longer walking by April.

GazzyG
12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I've done a couple of 21 mile walks for charity before and it's not really that bad as long as you're in good shape. That was just one day though, so doing it five days in a row is a whole other deal.

It will make an impact on your weight training at first but as you improve your conditioning, it will have less of an effect.

My advice would be to go on a big hill-walk each weekend from now on. Break in those boots and get used to being out for 4-5 hour walks. You'll be adapted for any longer walking by April.

Nice one, JC, that's pretty much what my friends and I have planned to do anyway! Cheers!