PDA

View Full Version : I got the newly designed Boss briefs and suit yesterday!

mastermonster
12-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I came home to my package from Titan yesterday! I've been like a kid waiting on Christmas! It was my new Boss briefs and suit. The newly redesigned ones. I sent my measurements at my lighter bodyweight and Derek said you're a perfect fit for the stock size so won't have to wait on customed ones. That was great news. I got 46 briefs and a 48 suit. The differences were obvious as soon as I opened the package and pulled them out and even before! The package was so heavy I thought they may have sent me some extra stuff as well. It was listed as 5.3 pounds! The material is obviously thicker and more rigid (somewhat canvas like) when you pick it up. The side seams on the suit are totally different than the old suits. It's not tucked and sown like the old one. It has a very heavy folded seam down the sides that is heavily stitched and appears to be 3/4 inch wide or more. The entire glute/ham section of the suit and briefs is heavily grid stitched. It was supposed to be deadlift night but I couldn't resist trying the briefs at least and getting a few squats to test them out.

The new briefs come with pullstraps (great idea) to assit in getting them on. This was a huge help in getting them up, especially the first time and not broken in at all. Christian had the idea to loop the lead chains for our chain set through the loops and hooking them up to the squat bar in the monolift. This saved a ton of pulling by hand. Still took about 30-45 minutes to finally get them up to attempt a squat. Put 235 on and went down as far as I could for 4 reps and then pulled them some more. Put 325 on and did the same for 3 reps. Wow! These briefs are aggressive! Pulled them one more time and felt they were pretty much seated. Put 415 on and did a single. A hard fight to get to about 2 inches high but I felt like I barely helped the briefs push the weight back up! Pulled them a little more and felt them move a bit, reset the belt and did 415 again (I'd just squated wed. and didn't want to mess up my cycle too much). This time I was determined to try to get depth and took it down as long as I could, pushing my knees out as hard as I could and really sitting back hard. What impressed me was how much stop and support these briefs have. It felt like I was literally sitting on a box and could have just stayed there! When I knew I wasn't going any farther I did the final 'sit back and dip thing' and shot it up...effortless almost! The stability doing the dip was unreal! If the old Boss stuff was the Corvette of squat suits and briefs, this new redesigned Boss is the Farrari! Stopped there and did some deadlifts and rows.

Can't wait til Wed. to try the suit! I'm probably going to rotate from the new briefs to the new suit week to week til I think they are both broken in and them try them both together! That ought to be something radical! Really want to hit a meet in these!!!

Brian C
12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Look forward to hearing how the suit is.

theBarzeen
12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I like that the pull tabs on Overkill shirts and briefs are catching on with other manufacturers..... makes it so much easier to get in to the gear. No more sweating and swearing for 30 minutes......

SELK
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree the new boss stuff is like a Ferrari...the worst value of all time. Its $450!

I hope they redesigned the whole thing, ive had 2 of the boss suits and they don't last. The stretch out quickly and the stitching comes apart and it needs to be taken in every 3rd session to fit correctly.

dammstrate
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Come on Buddy, if you got to 2" with 415 without pushing it much, and that was only the
3rd or 4th set ever with them, you know they are too loose....how did it take you
30+ minutes to get them on? :)

robertjr93
12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
just checkin but that makes it like 3 different bosses out then right?

mastermonster
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Look forward to hearing how the suit is.

I'll post back with more as I get some sessions in.

mastermonster
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I agree the new boss stuff is like a Ferrari...the worst value of all time. Its $450!

I hope they redesigned the whole thing, ive had 2 of the boss suits and they don't last. The stretch out quickly and the stitching comes apart and it needs to be taken in every 3rd session to fit correctly.

Til I lost weight to 242s I used the same Boss suit and briefs for 3 years and never had anything done to them. I trained in them very regualrly. These seams on the new Boss aren't going to come apart on anyone! Although I've never had seam problems with the old one. Any material will 'form' or break in to you during the early training sessions. If you're used to using canvas you may be used to less forming. If you mis-sized a Boss and it is too loose after breaking it in, just send it back in to be re-tightened and it will be good as new. With this grid stitching I don't anticipate it will relax much during breakin...we'll see. Judging from Henry Thomason's 1207 and his ever so close but red lighted 1273 squats a few weeks ago it's off to a good start for a track record...even at 399. stock and 449. customed. Derek told me the time envolved to make it is considerable. It take as long to make one as it takes to make 14 Katanas. And, like a Farrari; it's not made to be an affordable real good suit. It's been put together to be the top performing suit out there and the target market of the elite lifter.

mastermonster
12-04-2011, 11:43 PM
just checkin but that makes it like 3 different bosses out then right?

I think there have been 3 evolutions in the material since the Boss was 1st introduced. They are not satisfied with 'it's good enough'. If they can figure a way to make it better, they will. It definately seems they have with this suit.

mastermonster
12-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Come on Buddy, if you got to 2" with 415 without pushing it much, and that was only the
3rd or 4th set ever with them, you know they are too loose....how did it take you
30+ minutes to get them on? :)

LOL! Greg, unlight you my 6'4" friend; I am built to squat and bench. You are one of the most amazing squatters and benchers to have the type leverages you have I've ever seen. My hat's off to you and I'm baffled by your results. As you know all of my lifts together travel less than your bench or squat alone! I'm on the short side of 5'10" if I stretch and have short arms and legs. Most of that 5'10" is torso length. At the risk of bragging on my squat technique, I will. I sit back very well with a very very upright torso and very wide stance. I doubt my squat stroke is 10 inches. These briefs are so tight right now they are quite painful to use, but I'm not interested in comfort. It hurt like hell on that last rep but I like to think I'm a tough old bird and can take a lot of pain to get what I want. I am very good at hitting depth in tight aggressive gear. I could hit depth with 145 in the same Boss briefs I squatted 800 in. It's more technique than the briefs stretching. I've got multiple bruises to prove how tight they are! Ha!

mastermonster
12-05-2011, 12:06 AM
I like that the pull tabs on Overkill shirts and briefs are catching on with other manufacturers..... makes it so much easier to get in to the gear. No more sweating and swearing for 30 minutes......

Absolutely! The pull tabs are a great addition!

SELK
12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Til I lost weight to 242s I used the same Boss suit and briefs for 3 years and never had anything done to them. I trained in them very regualrly. These seams on the new Boss aren't going to come apart on anyone! Although I've never had seam problems with the old one. Any material will 'form' or break in to you during the early training sessions. If you're used to using canvas you may be used to less forming. If you mis-sized a Boss and it is too loose after breaking it in, just send it back in to be re-tightened and it will be good as new. With this grid stitching I don't anticipate it will relax much during breakin...we'll see. Judging from Henry Thomason's 1207 and his ever so close but red lighted 1273 squats a few weeks ago it's off to a good start for a track record...even at 399. stock and 449. customed. Derek told me the time envolved to make it is considerable. It take as long to make one as it takes to make 14 Katanas. And, like a Farrari; it's not made to be an affordable real good suit. It's been put together to be the top performing suit out there and the target market of the elite lifter.

Went from he ace to the boss and the ace is much better constructed in my opinion, the only issue i had with the ace is the legs are to small for the hips for most lifter, the Jack seems to have fixed that. My boss suit is less than a year old and the boss briefs I have were grid stitched, still the same issues. Ive had ginny take in the suit and after a few sessions its a size bigger again. The first boss suit I had I used for 2 training sessions, got it taken in, used it 1x more and then at the meet and it fit horribly because that one session already stretched it.

I doubt many people not sponsored by titan are going to be using this new suit because of the price. Yeah, there will be some decent squats in it. But you can still get a leviathan for $325 and that suit by far has the most squats over 1000lbs.

Dank27
12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I had the old boss briefs and they were terrible. Stretched out after 3 sessions. @ 175 for the new ones i will def be getting overkill 2ply for the same money.

Goodluck with the new gear. Give us a right up when ur going through ur training

mastermonster
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I took a picture tonight of both the briefs and suit standing by themselves on the platform after Pam made the comment that they looked like they could stand up by their self. So, I tried it and they did. I'll see if she can put it up tomarrow (I still don't know how to do that). I looked again and that side seam is more like 1 1/4 inch instead 3/4! Johnny saw and felt them for the 1st time tonight and squats in a Boss also. He couldn't believe the differences....especially the material, side seams and the radical grid stitching. I'll post back here how Wed. goes in the suit. P.S. The Boss suit Jonny is using is my 1st Boss from late 2005ish. Has hundreds of reps in it and still works fine and looks almost new. I just don't get the comments about lack of durability with the Boss. Tim used it for a couple of meet cycles before he bought his own before I passed it down to Johnny.

NickAus
12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I really love my boss briefs!

But.....they seem to lossen up each week, no joke and Im gaining size.

mastermonster
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I really love my boss briefs!

But.....they seem to lossen up each week, no joke and Im gaining size.

How long have you had them if you don't mind me asking Nick? I've always treated my Boss stuff like any other poly in that I allowed for some 'breakin' or stretching for the 1st few sessions. All shirts (poly) or suits I've used have had this quality; any brand. But after it was formed to me it stayed with a consistant fit. My 1st Boss set I did send back once to get tightened because it was customed and did break in looser than I wanted it. After that I've always got stock a size smaller than what would be called for. My proportions have always worked well with the stock size stuff. If guys are coming from canvas to a Boss I could see them not being used to some 'relaxing' (more than canvas) during the early sessions. I'm not sure if this new stuff will break in the same as the older ones yet. Gotta see.

NickAus
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I have had them for around 2 years, 10 mins to get on or less and great carryover.

Wish they didn't stretch though, should have grid stitched em.

Brian C
12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Im second owner of my Boss suit and i used it for 2 training cycles and 2 meets. Still pretty durable, but have to boil it every few sessions to tighten it up.

mastermonster
12-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Last night was supposed to be deload but I wanted to at least try the new Boss suit. It's a 48 and I put it on over my older 50 Boss briefs for starters. It went on much easier than the 46 briefs did! (Thankfully) I'd done a couple of warmup sets with the briefs and after suiting up went 415 straps down to about 3 inches high. Up like almost no weight. (we videoed the reps). Then to 505 to 1 1/2 to 2 inches high. Then 600 to 'pretty close'. All these were straps down and the belt pretty loose to let the suit move a little for now. The weights didn't feel a lot different going up from 415 to 600. All fast 'snap up' reps. I love the difference in how this suit and the new briefs feel in the hole with the grid stitching! The stop and support is awesome. Loving them so far!

NickAus
12-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Keep us updated, sounds like the grid stitch is the way to go.

mastermonster
12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I tried both the new briefs and suit together Wed. night. Sorry I haven't had any luck getting Pam home early enough and rested enough from work to get her to put up any vids or pics (I gotta' learn to do that!). Anyway, they are a challenge amplified when put together! Here's how it went:

I did 2 warmup raw sets of 135 x 10, and 235 x 5. Then we put on the briefs (down to about a 10 minute process). Even videoed that...quite comical!

Did 415 x 1 to a couple of inches high. Pulled them again. Did 505 x 1 to pretty close to depth (a little high). Added the suit. WOW! This feels like it would stop a bullet together!

Had to raise the monolift from 12 to 13 to get under the bar! made the decision this far out from my next meet to keep the weight at 600 for now and just stay at a weight that is very controllable but heavy enough to work the suit and briefs down (at least most of the way). 3 sets with 600 went like this:

600 x 1 This was about 6 inches high

600 x 1 About 3 inches high (This pleased me)

600 x 1 Again about 3 inches high (Was hoping for lower but I'm O.K. with it for now)

NickAus
12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Just saw the briefs.........look great!

mastermonster
12-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Im second owner of my Boss suit and i used it for 2 training cycles and 2 meets. Still pretty durable, but have to boil it every few sessions to tighten it up.

Brian, I tried this this past weekend with my old 2ply F6 I had from 2006. It tightened it back to as close to new as a 5 year old shirt can get! Benched in it last night and did the best to chest bench I've done since the shoulder was replaced; 522 very fast and easy with a ton of pop and speed. Stopped there with a lot in the tank because 522 was the W.O. goal and I'm timing my peak for a meet in Feb. I'd stopped using it because it had finally lost a lot of that pop. Thanks for this idea! I boiled an Assasin prototype last night and am going to 'freshen up a couple more 'retired' old favorite pieces this week and see if they have some life left. P.S. After I got the pot boiling with the shirt in it I boiled it for a little over 15 minutes. Thanks again Brian!

icedutah
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd recommend having them altered instead of boiling them.

SELK
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Boiling gear does work, but if you do it a couple of times things either blow out or just lose all of its pop.

Brian C
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Brian, I tried this this past weekend with my old 2ply F6 I had from 2006. It tightened it back to as close to new as a 5 year old shirt can get! Benched in it last night and did the best to chest bench I've done since the shoulder was replaced; 522 very fast and easy with a ton of pop and speed. Stopped there with a lot in the tank because 522 was the W.O. goal and I'm timing my peak for a meet in Feb. I'd stopped using it because it had finally lost a lot of that pop. Thanks for this idea! I boiled an Assasin prototype last night and am going to 'freshen up a couple more 'retired' old favorite pieces this week and see if they have some life left. P.S. After I got the pot boiling with the shirt in it I boiled it for a little over 15 minutes. Thanks again Brian!

Boiling gear does work, but if you do it a couple of times things either blow out or just lose all of its pop.

Glad to help! Also the key to not having blowouts from boiling gear is to add some woolite to the water. Keeps the material fresh and wont dry it out and weaken it. Ive boiled shirts plenty and never had a problem.

mastermonster
12-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Glad to help! Also the key to not having blowouts from boiling gear is to add some woolite to the water. Keeps the material fresh and wont dry it out and weaken it. Ive boiled shirts plenty and never had a problem.

Brian, would Titan Power Wash in the water work as well? That's what I use to wash my stuff in.

NickAus
12-21-2011, 02:29 AM
Do you find the new g/s briefs better than the ones before that? (I have those ones).

Thanks!

Brian C
12-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Brian, would Titan Power Wash in the water work as well? That's what I use to wash my stuff in.

I dont see why not. TPW isnt a stiffener, but does add life into the fabric. I dont think the hot temp will effect its results.

mastermonster
12-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks Brian! Nick, they are lightyears different! Much thicker Boss material. I literally stood both the briefs and the suit up on the platform when my wife said she thought they'd stand up by themselves. And I'd already trained in the briefs. They are noticably much stiffer than the old ones. At this early point in my training cycle I'd say YES! I feel I'll squat significantly more in the new stuff. At this point I don't know yet if I'll be able to pull sumo in them. I have really short arms. I may pull in just the old suit and no briefs...may find I can later. Too soon to tell. Getting to the bar with really aggressive gear on in ideal form is tough with T-Rex arms! LOL!

mastermonster
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Here's how Wed. 12-21-11 squat night went in the New Boss stuff:

Squats (New Boss Briefs) Videoed tonight

235 x 3

415 x 2

505 x 1 (just a little high)

545 x 1 (below depth)

New Boss suit and wraps / straps up

625 x 1 (a couple of inches high. Very easy up. Feet weren't wide enough on setup)

625 x 1 (setup was good. Hit depth and it shot up.)

This suit is making it hard to be patient! I want to go up ahead of pace. But; I've hurt myself prep wise by getting impatient before. I have my squats, benches and DLs all mapped out til my next meet. I love the new Boss stuff.

NickAus
12-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Sound very good, thanks for the update.

mastermonster
12-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Sound very good, thanks for the update.

You're welcome Nick!

mastermonster
01-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Here's tonight's squat work; further breaking in the New Boss stuff. Squatted in my 1 ply stuff last week. Got a single ply meet in 6 1/2 weeks.

1-11-12 Wed. Night Squats Bwt. 265

Multiply tonight (breaking in the new Boss stuff for May (APF Masters Nationals)

Squats (videoed) Raw

145 x 10

Add Boss briefs

235 x 5

325 x 3

425 x 1

Add wraps

600 x 1

Add Boss suit

straps down

700 x 1 (Less than an inch high)

Straps up (not tight)

725 x 1

1 - 1 1/2 inch high. Not bad for this low of a weight and still having 10 lbs. of Christmas weight on me!

That's it for tonight. Back in the single ply stuff next week. 6 1/2 weeks out to SPF Alabama (single ply div.)