PDA

View Full Version : strength training in ketosis?

Lexx
12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I've been on a straight ketogenic diet, pretty much the same as induction phase of atkins, for about 2 months now. For the last 6 weeks I've also been doing 1h moderate intensity cardio 5 times per week. I've dropped about 30lbs in these 2 months and haven't plateaued yet (yay! 1/3 done!)

My question is regarding strength. I know ketosis is supposed to hurt your anaerobic performance and there's basically no straight ketogenic body building routines, only carb cycling ones. I'm wondering if there's any problem with incorporating strength training back into my routine, and if there isn't, whether I should do the strength training before the cardio, after it, or at another time of day entirely. I'm thinking normal blood sugar logic doesn't really apply here due to the ketosis.

Let me know what you guys think.

chris mason
12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Lexx, strength training on that diet is far from ideal, but you can do it. ALWAYS strength train prior to endurance activity.

Lexx
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I know it's far from ideal, but ketogenic seems to be the only diet I've been able to maintain as far as willpower goes. I've read ketosis dieting's supposed to be protein-sparing, but I'd like to at least preserve muscle tone & "keep in the habit" per se, and any increased strength or lean mass is gravy.

Should I split it into a morning/evening workout or keep it to once/day?

chris mason
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Train in the normal fashion whatever that may be.

Mazinger
12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Lexx, strength training on that diet is far from ideal, but you can do it. ALWAYS strength train prior to endurance activity.

I agree.

I'd also suggest to keep the reps low (5 and less) unless you are going to be carbing up after the workout.

JSully
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
In my years of lifting, I've yet to go on a low carb type diet and maintain all my strength. Hell, I usually drop a lot.

Recently (this year) I went from 315lbs to 275lbs and maintained strength on mosts lifts and increased strength on others. The difference was I did it eating carbs and focusing on nutrient timing.