PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream or yogurt after workout?

Eric Cartman
12-06-2011, 07:13 PM
The gym where I work out has a protein drink they serve. It contains ice cream and yogurt and whey protein.

Is this an unhealthy shake to have post-workout, due to too much sugar or maybe fat? in the ice cream and yogurt?

Thanks,
EC

Off Road
12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Dr. Ken Leistner loves ice cream after workouts.

Dgro
12-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't know, do you consider ice cream to be "too unhealthy" at any other time of the day? It's all relative

Behemoth
12-10-2011, 06:11 PM
i think that drink is healthy otherwise they will not serve it.
I wouldn't count on that. Gyms are out for a profit, and IMO most people running commercial gyms are health and fitness idiots anyways.

As far as the question the OP asked, it's much more a context of the how it fits into your whole day. Really, it's perfectly fine as long as your daily diet encompasses all your necessary nutrients on a regular basis and it doesn't cause you to over consume more calories than you've ascertained to be beneficial.

thecityalive
12-11-2011, 12:44 AM

Heh. I had Herbalife start up a smoothie bar in our gym and I guarantee you any MLM is out to make profit. I don't know the situation with your gym or who owns what, but I can almost bet the same thing ...people running a "health bar" to appeal to uninformed, middle-aged people who are conscious about their health. Is there some good stuff in it? I wouldn't doubt it...but I bet the owner is just there to get you to renew your membership and get your cash.

In regards to the ice cream part...I mean having ice cream at any given time of the day really doesn't matter. Timing isn't going to play a factor in to what your total intake is of that day. Hit your macros, factor in your numbers, and keep it all in mind.

mike mcgee
12-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Is that the only shake they serve or the one that appealed to you the most? The gym I used to go to had a smoothie bar as well, but they offered a variety of drink combinations. That one is probably more of a weight gainer.
I know when I was trying to bulk up years ago, milkshakes were the drink of choice.

mike mcgee
12-13-2011, 05:39 AM

You are being sarcastic, right????

Animal28
12-21-2011, 08:43 AM
ICE CREAM has caseine in (slow release protein) so if you really want ice cream would take it just before bed time - post workout you need protein shake that will be quickly absorbed (yoghurt is NOT one of them either)