PDA

View Full Version : Milk or Water

Ritchie_Dundee
12-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Looking for a definate answer to a question i have asked a lot of people but hasnt been resolved.

Does milk do the same as water ?

The reason i am asking is that i am on a creatine cycle at the moment and can drink gallons of low fat milk a day but struggle with water.

Any help in would be much appreciated

PEACE !!!

alexspt
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I would say no as milk is not as hydrating. True there is some h2o in milk (mostly skim) but its just not the same amount as pure water. But then again milk has vitamins, protein, etc. If you must drink milk I'd stay with skim.

Holto
12-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Milk is mostly water, so yes.

There is a lot of nonsense floating around about things that negate the absorption of water. I've read many times, for example, that we can't absorb the water in pop because of the sugar.

It's all nonsense. Water is so critical to our survival that we absorb it at extremely high rates of efficiency.

Milk is approximately 87% water (Link below doesn't specify what % of milk)

http://www.milkfacts.info/Nutrition%20Facts/Nutritional%20Components.htm

J.C.
12-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Holto is correct. Bodybuilders have greatly exaggerated the necessity of huge water intake.

tom183
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
If you must drink milk I'd stay with skim.

Why?

I would say no as milk is not as hydrating.

Milk actually out-performs both water and sports drinks for post exercise rehydration:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-as-an-effective-post-exercise-rehydration-drink.html

Ritchie_Dundee
12-12-2011, 04:43 AM
thanks for the replies, so would milk be an ok substitute for water when taking creatine ?

im having 5g on off days and 10g on training days

cheers again

GazzyG
12-12-2011, 06:37 AM
I have milk in all my shakes, tbh. Mainly for the extra cals.

mike mcgee
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Milk has fat, protein and carbs, water doesn't. If you can afford the extra calories and don't have any allergies than it would basically come down to your choice. If you are taking some protein with you to the gym or are on the go, water maybe a better/ easier alternative since it won't spoil.

As far as cycling creatine??? Why are you doing that? Don't believe the hype or get caught up in marketing schemes like having to "load" creatine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine (WFS)

Ritchie_Dundee
12-15-2011, 03:51 AM
thanks alot to you all for your replies, much appreciated.

Christa, as im taking creatine, would this draw the water from the milk into the muscles just like water ?

Ritchie

chris mason
12-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Hey Guys,

Looking for a definate answer to a question i have asked a lot of people but hasnt been resolved.

Does milk do the same as water ?

The reason i am asking is that i am on a creatine cycle at the moment and can drink gallons of low fat milk a day but struggle with water.

Any help in would be much appreciated

PEACE !!!

Let's clarify something. It is a MYTH that you need to significantly increase your fluid intake when using creatine. You do NOT need to. Free yourself from the bro-science perpetuated on the net.

GazzyG
12-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Let's clarify something. It is a MYTH that you need to significantly increase your fluid intake when using creatine. You do NOT need to. Free yourself from the bro-science perpetuated on the net.

C'mon Chris, stop sitting on the fence, you'll get splinters lol.