PDA

View Full Version : If you had a meet in 12 weeks....

kingns
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
If you had a meet in 12 weeks what would you do?

Bench only, full meet, raw, geared, whatever. Im just trying to see how people go about preparing for a meet when they see it on a calendar. It could be 8 weeks out or whatever.

theBarzeen
12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
12 weeks is enough time to put together a training cycle. 8 weeks is enough time to get ready for a meet too.

A lot of it depends how you feel about your last meet..... if you went 9 for 9 and crushed every PR you had then maybe you need more time to get stronger for your next meet.

My last meet was Senior Nationals. I lost my balance with a grand twice in the squat, only getting my 920 opener.
Something popped in my wrist when I pulled the bar in to touch my first bench press. I still pressed it but did not take any more attempts. I pulled raw because my hand and wrist were swelling up and it hurt to hold on to the bar. I pulled what I needed to win and walked away knowing that I left a LOT of weight out on the platform.

So, 3 weeks ago when I heard about a meet on the 17th ( next weekend, total of 5 weeks out from when I heard about it) I decided to go for it and get me another shot at the grand that I should have hit at seniors, hopefully break 2400 too. Training is going well, why not?

MarcusWild
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I think you're thinking about it backwards. It's best to focus on raw, single-ply, or multi-ply. Then find the meets you want to hit. Switching back and forth between the 3 on a regular basis isn't going to get you the best results. It's a bit like trying to perfect long jump, high jump, and pole vault at the same time. If you focus on one, then you're going to get a lot better.

kingns
12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I meant I was asking about prepping for any meet. Not specifically raw or multi

ScottYard
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Find the meet. Then plan backwards from week 1 to week 12. Keep it simple. Deload the last week and deload every 4th week. Keep singles below x90% and dont miss reps. All else is filler.