PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Online Journal

thalapathi
05-29-2002, 11:50 AM
It has been about three months since I registered. I had been lurking for a couple of months before that, reading up on the articles on the main site and doing some searches.

I will be finishing up my first 6-week HST cycle today and will post the results. After a week of deconditioning I will post all my workouts from the start of next HST training cycle. I will also post my diet.

Blood&Iron
05-29-2002, 01:40 PM
Glad to see you decided to give this a shot. I really think it's helped me quite a bit to keep a journal. I wasn't so sure going in, but it really has forced me to pay more attention to what I'm doing both in and out of the gym. I used to just tally up my calories in my head, and keep a standard log book of my lifts. But having to type them out really makes you pay much closer attention to details. Every time you screw up or slack off, you've got to deal with typing up an entry recounting your failure.

Good luck. You've already got at least one regular reader.

thalapathi
05-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Prior Experience
I have decided to post all stats from the time I started tracking them till recently.

July-Sept 2001 : Decided to change my eating habits and lifestyle as alcohol and junkfood along with poor eating habits ruined my physical fitness and got me thinking about health implications i might have to face when my body cant take it anymore . Started the low-fat diet and noticed some changes. Within the next couple of months kept changing my diet, every couple of weeks depending on what book I had read the previous weeks. I could feel the weight going down as clothes were fitting way better etc. and decided to start working out.
October 2001-now : Finally went to the rec center at the university with a few friends, who took the time to teach me a few exercises. Stepped on the scale at some point after that and weighed a whopping 288 pounds . I actually thought I didnt care about it, but couldnt face it when I came to it. I guess I would have gone crazy had I weighed myself earlier, but regret still that I dont know how much I started at. I read all about the baseline diet and followed if for two weeks to find my BMR calories and then started reading online sites and boards. I currently weigh about 257 pounds and know am headed in the right direction. I hope this journal is yet another step in the correct direction.
The only supplements I have used so far include Protein powder and multivitamin. I am about to finish my first HST cycle and intend starting my second, after de-conditioning when I will add a few more supplements that might be useful. I will post my numbers here and welcome feedback and suggestions.

thalapathi
05-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Glad to see you decided to give this a shot. I really think it's helped me quite a bit to keep a journal. I wasn't so sure going in, but it really has forced me to pay more attention to what I'm doing both in and out of the gym. I used to just tally up my calories in my head, and keep a standard log book of my lifts. But having to type them out really makes you pay much closer attention to details. Every time you screw up or slack off, you've got to deal with typing up an entry recounting your failure.

Good luck. You've already got at least one regular reader.
B&I- Thanks for the encouragement.

thalapathi
05-30-2002, 01:55 PM
Results of My first 6-Week HST cycle :

Note : all measurments in inches.

Bodypart: week6-week1

Chest: -0.5
Thigh: - 0.75
waist: -1.25
hips: -0.75
Arms: - 0.25
Calf: - 0.25
Forearms: 0.0
Neck: -0.25
-----------------------------------
Weight : -6.5 lbs
------------------------------------

Supplements used : Whey protein powder , multivitamin
-----------------------

Notes: I moved down on the scale from 263.5 to 257 .

I usually take tape measurments every 30 days and with HST I noticed that I have lost some size in my arms and my calf , though its preally small. I havent noticed this happen in the past 3 months, but before that when I first hit the gym, I lost some size all around.

My usual change in waist size is about 0.5in a month average and this is something really unexpected. I dropped a lot more in my hips and waist than I expected.

Another thing, I did after I started my HST training cycle was that I bumped my calories about 300, and was still able to sustain my loss of 1lb/week average. However for the first time, I included refeeds once/week from week3 of the HST cycle. I am now able to eat about 2300 calories and maintain the weightloss. Before HST I was eating 2000 calories.

I did cardio twice a week, moderate intensity , 30 mins

Blood&Iron
05-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Congrats. Looks like you had some nice results; nice, slow weightloss is the way to go IMO. Did you have bodyfat tests at any time, or no?

thalapathi
05-30-2002, 03:06 PM
I havent had any great strength increases, but I expected that since I was dieting and I was pleased that I was able to get most of my RM's and in Squats, Deadlifts, Incline-DB chest press, DB-Shoulder press, I managed to get 2 additional reps which I think is still a decent strength increase. I barely managed to get my RM's in triceps and biceps exercises.

A couple of questions come to mind with regard to my results and measurments:

1. could it be possible that I lost lean mass from my arms and calf because they werent trained enough. Earlier when I was in the 4 day routine I used to do about 6 sets each for biceps and triceps. for calfs I used to have about 5 sets. In HST i had just one 1set/day for bicep & tricep and calf which works out to about half the voulme/week I used to do earlier.

2. I think the compound movements, three days a week, has accelerated the loss in size from waist and hips which was rather slow earlier.

3. I am extremely pleased at how my metabolism is working ( based on the fact that i eat 300 more calories/day than I used to earlier, do 1 day less of cardio/week) and still manage to maintain a loss of about 1lb/week.

4. I noticed that my weight loss pattern was as following:
week1: working on 15RM's : 1lb
week2: working upto 15RM : 2lbs
week3: Start second microcycle 10RM's : 2lbs
week4: Working up 10RM : 1lb
week5: Start third microcycle -5RM : 1lb
week6: Work upto 5RM : 0.5lb

I am going to try and educate myself on HST and the results so that I can fine tune my next HST cycle.

thalapathi
05-31-2002, 02:27 PM
Congrats. Looks like you had some nice results; nice, slow weightloss is the way to go IMO. Did you have bodyfat tests at any time, or no?

B&I - Unfortunately I didnt take any bodyfat tests However I did the next best thing, calculate using different formulae for calculation of bf from tape measurment which indicated a decline from 28% to 26% . Most of them indicated a downward trend of 2-3% and just as long as they are consistent, it is ok. I am still looking for a place where I could get reliable bodyfat tested. Once again thanks for your support.

thalapathi
05-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Alternated two workouts as I found it too difficult to squat,bench and deadlift thrice a week and so based on suggestion from B&I and after reading his journal I had two routines and i went a,b,a,b...

a)
Squat(2),leg curls(1),Benchpress(2),Incline DBpress(1),DB Shoulder Press(1),DB Shrugs(1),Lat pulldown(2),seated calf raise(1),Barbell Bicep curl(1),Tricep OverHead Extension(1)

b)

LegPress(2),leg curls(1), Deadlift(2),Benchpress(2),Incline DBpress(1),DB Shoulder Press(1),DB Shrugs(1),seated calf raise(1),Barbell Bicep curl(1),Tricep OverHead Extension(1)

I used the worksets for each exercise as indicated in the ().
In the first week of 15's,10's all of them were worksets and I did not use any warmup. In the second week of 15's and 10's I used the corresponding weight last week for that workout for the first set to serve as warmup and the second set was the weight that was the workset for that weight.
In the 5's I used a 8-9rep warmup for the first set and had 1 workset.

I am looking to alter the exercises keeping the basic compound movements the same. Any suggestions will be really helpful.

Will be taking today off the gym and might goto the gym tomorrow to test out the 15,10,5RM's for a couple of exercises I might add next cycle.

thalapathi
05-31-2002, 02:51 PM
I have been reading up on articles regarding this and gotten some prior feedback from B&I already.

I have realized that whey protein isnt the best choice all the time and decided to go with my personal blend of MRP which I have gotten from protein factory today.
Basically its a blend consisting Whey,Calcium Caseinate,Egg White protein. I intend to add to it some oatmeal depending on how my diet worksout and some fat (natural peanut butter), so that it fits into my diet scheme.

I have also gotten EC from netrition.com and it is the EphedrineHCL and Prolab Caffeine and Fish Oil capscules from Sams club.

Other things I am still considering include:
1. Creatine (pretty sure of this)
2. HMB (doubtful)
3. Glutamine (doubtful)

I am inclined to go in favor of HMB than Glutamine. Also Bryan made a great post regarding HMB and why it might be suited to HST training than other methods.

I still have a few questions about creatine and how to use it most effectively and need to read up on it.

Blood&Iron
05-31-2002, 05:26 PM
Couple of comments, which as per my usual style have the resounding sound of being a know-it-all. If anything annoys you, please feel free to ignore me(I probably would.)

1)I was going to comment that your worries about losing muscle in your arms and calves were probably unfounded as the size changes were completey within the realm of what you'd lose if you ONLY lost fat, but for some reasons forgot. Now that you've posted your bf%(The waist-wrist measurment is actually not that horrible unless you are fairly 'bodybuilder'ish' already.) Let's look at your figures:

263.5 at 28% bf:
73.78lbs fat
189.7lbs lean mass

257 at 26% bf:
66.82lbs fat
190.18lbs lean mass

So, basically you didn't lose any muscle at all(You added some actually, but it's not really statistically signficant given the margin of error involved here.) So, once more, CONGRATS!

2) At your level of bodyfat, refeeds are unnecessary. If, however, they help you maintain your sanity while dieting, by all means keep them(This is 50% of why I myself use them) Just don't make them too extreme.

3)You can probably afford to lose weight a bit more quickly. Don't get too crazy, but 2lbs a week should not cause significant muscle loss until your bodyfat gets a bit lower. Have bf% tests just to make sure(You should be able to have a caliper test at any YMCA or good gym.) If you find you are losing muscle, adjust things.

4)As to your routine I have a couple of suggestions/possibilites for changes.

a)Have you thought about alternating stiff-legged deadlifts with the leg curls?

b)Seated calf-raises, are IMO, a fairly worthless exercise. They uninvolve the gastrocnemius--which is the big lump most people think of as their calf--and work only the soleus. Standing calf-raises hit both. Additionally, since the soleus is one of the few muscles that is almost entirely composed of slow-twitch fibers, it theoretically shouldn't respond very well to anything but endurance activity(I think this is why my calves tend to get quite a bit larger when I start doing cardio, which consists for me of walking at a 15degree incline on the treadmill for 30minutes)

c)You could substitute incline DB curls or preacher curls for the BB curls, if you want.

d)You could sub tricep pushdowns, one of my favorite but least used exercises, for the overhead extension.

e)Personally, I think both regular and incline benching unnecessary. You'd be safe just doing one or the other(You can always add two sets of it if you feel so inclined.) Or do dips if you there is an assistance machine at your gym(It subtracts the weight from you bodyweight.) That's what I do.

f)Maybe in place of that extra bench variation, instead do some sort of rowing movement. One arm DB Row for example.

Hope some of the above is helpful

thalapathi
05-31-2002, 08:02 PM
B&I- Thank you for all the suggestions. I will think about all your suggestions and post my thoughts and questions. Appreciate your support.

thalapathi
06-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Couple of comments, which as per my usual style have the resounding sound of being a know-it-all. If anything annoys you, please feel free to ignore me(I probably would.)

1)I was going to comment that your worries about losing muscle in your arms and calves were probably unfounded as the size changes were completey within the realm of what you'd lose if you ONLY lost fat, but for some reasons forgot. Now that you've posted your bf%(The waist-wrist measurment is actually not that horrible unless you are fairly 'bodybuilder'ish' already.) Let's look at your figures:

263.5 at 28% bf:
73.78lbs fat
189.7lbs lean mass

257 at 26% bf:
66.82lbs fat
190.18lbs lean mass

So, basically you didn't lose any muscle at all(You added some actually, but it's not really statistically signficant given the margin of error involved here.) So, once more, CONGRATS!

Thanks, and I agree with you totally on the statistically insignificant part, though I try to be as consistent as I can.

2) At your level of bodyfat, refeeds are unnecessary. If, however, they help you maintain your sanity while dieting, by all means keep them(This is 50% of why I myself use them) Just don't make them too extreme.

I just started them this time with the HST, the day before the third and sixth workout on last two microcycles and sixth workout of 15RM's. It just allows me to eat the typical south indian food, with lots of raw rice, lentils and curries and spices. So its practically about 250g protein and total cals about 20-25% maintanence. So I used about (2350+500)*1.2 =3420~3500 cals. Out of which I tried to get about 250g protein/60g fat/490 carbs.
I think you are right and it might not be needed, but actually decided to add it when I read the link and I had dieted for about 6 months already.
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

3)You can probably afford to lose weight a bit more quickly. Don't get too crazy, but 2lbs a week should not cause significant muscle loss until your bodyfat gets a bit lower. Have bf% tests just to make sure(You should be able to have a caliper test at any YMCA or good gym.) If you find you are losing muscle, adjust things.

I am planning to aim for 2lbs/week this time around in HST cycle and hope that EC might provide that delta increase needed to average 2lbs/week. Once I go below 20% bf, I will probably look around to see if I can get my bf% tested by a professional/semi-professional.

4)As to your routine I have a couple of suggestions/possibilites for changes.

a)Have you thought about alternating stiff-legged deadlifts with the leg curls?

Yes. I am planning on changing the routine a little bit, and intend to add SLDL. Could you suggest what changes you would make in routines in a) and b) above without more than two/three changes so that I can go and get the RM's tomorrow. I have a friend who is going to teach me the correct form for SLDL , and he is one of the few guys who I think knows his stuff.

b)Seated calf-raises, are IMO, a fairly worthless exercise. They uninvolve the gastrocnemius--which is the big lump most people think of as their calf--and work only the soleus. Standing calf-raises hit both. Additionally, since the soleus is one of the few muscles that is almost entirely composed of slow-twitch fibers, it theoretically shouldn't respond very well to anything but endurance activity(I think this is why my calves tend to get quite a bit larger when I start doing cardio, which consists for me of walking at a 15degree incline on the treadmill for 30minutes)

c)You could substitute incline DB curls or preacher curls for the BB curls, if you want.

d)You could sub tricep pushdowns, one of my favorite but least used exercises, for the overhead extension.

I think I will change the tricep exercise to the pushdown I guess, as I was using that before HST cycle and leave the biceps alone this cycle.

e)Personally, I think both regular and incline benching unnecessary. You'd be safe just doing one or the other(You can always add two sets of it if you feel so inclined.) Or do dips if you there is an assistance machine at your gym(It subtracts the weight from you bodyweight.) That's what I do.

f)Maybe in place of that extra bench variation, instead do some sort of rowing movement. One arm DB Row for example.

Hope some of the above is helpful

I think I will leave the chest workouts are they are. I intend to add back the DB row which I was using before the HST cycle and leave out the lat pulldown which I didnt find that useful.
Thanks for all your feedback which was what I was looking for with the journal idea.
I should come up with the routines for my next cycle with these ideas.

thalapathi
06-01-2002, 08:10 PM
I have read a few articles about creatine and decided that loading might be beneficial though I still am pretty doubtful on how to properly load, but will most probably follow the advice on WBB site, at 20g/day(10g/2times/day) for two days probably on saturday,sunday before starting the HST cycle on monday.
Still reading up on that. Having been a vegetarian for the most part and still eating just chicken, I think there might be a lot of help from supplementing creatine and probably loading a little more. Managed to get my hands on a 1000g GNC-creatine monohydrate jug from a friend started and quit bodybuilding in about six weeks. Am thinking of getting some HMB too now.
My suppliments for the second HST cycle will include :
1. Protein Powders
2. Multivitamin
3. Creatine
4. HMB
5. Fish Oils
6. vitamin C

Blood&Iron
06-01-2002, 08:14 PM
As requested, here's my version of your workouts:

a)
Squat
Leg curls
Bench Press
DB Row
Incline DB press
DB Shrugs
DB Shoulder Press
BB Curl
Tricep Pushdown
Standing calf raise

b)

Leg Press
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Bench press
DB Row
Incline DB press
DB Shrugs
DB Shoulder Press
BB Curl
Tricep Pushdown
Standing calf raise

thalapathi
06-02-2002, 08:55 PM
B&I ,Thanks the routine looks fine and I have all my maxes. I will be adding 10lbs to the ones I already made last time and will keep the ones I did not the same.
The strategy for suppliments has also been decided. I will be eating probably about the same I did when I finished my HST cycle and adjust based on how I feel during SD.

I have decided to load creatine, based on the suggestions in MFW.
[QUOTE]
The optimal amount of creatine to take remains controversial and, as with any other supplement, recommended doses vary considerably, particularly depending on whether the one making the recommendation is trying to sell you some. Many have recommended a "loading phase" with doses ranging from 15-30 grams/day for the first week followed by a "maintenance phase" with anywhere from 2-15 grams/day consumed, while a few discount the "loading phase" as unnecessary. The typical recommended dose falls about in the middle of the above ranges; load with 20g/day for a week, then drop to 5-8g/day for a while, then feel free to experiment with increasing or decreasing the dosage and see how it affects you. As with any supplement, start out slowly--consume the initial "loading" dose in several portions throughout the day; some people have reported experiencing gastric upset when taking creatine, so you may wish to make sure it doesn't cause you any problems in this regard before taking very much at one time.

[\QUOTE]

I might also just take the EC as I have seen people do this and have no major problems. Also got this from the FAQ
[QUOTE]
Creatine and Caffeine: much talk has been made recently about a study that's usually described as showing that caffeine negates the usefulness of creatine supplementation. However, the study in question administered very large doses of caffeine to the subjects and then cut out all caffeine consumption 24 hours before the subjects were tested. While this does provide fairly strong evidence that major caffeine withdrawal does not enhance athletic performance, it has essentially no relevance to anyone who uses caffeine as a pre-workout stimulant or in the manner in which caffeine is normally used in the E/C/A stack. Caffeine does have a diuretic effect and it is possible that this could reduce the amount of water weight generally gained when taking creatine, though even this is questionable, given that caffeine primarily increases the elimination of extracellular water and not intracellular water, which is what is increased by creatine.

[\QUOTE]

I have decided to leave out HMB as Lyle has clearly stated it might be helpful only in the negatives and 5's and thats pretty obvious from Bryan's post on the HST board too.

I have been reading up on some posts in MFW and not sure yet, as to how I want to set up my cycle to preserve maximum muscle and accelerate fatloss. I am aiming for 2lbs/week without adding additional cardio. Diet will also remain the same, but thinking of some minor changes. I will also post my diet from tomorrow. I have one idea of how I want to set up the HST cycle, that Delphi already posted on one of the threads.
Need to work on the HST workout cycle , and in the next couple of days, I will post a summary of useful posts I got from MFW minus the soap opera .

Blood&Iron
06-03-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by thalapathi
I will post a summary of useful posts I got from MFW minus the soap opera .
But that's the best part...

Oh and since I noticed this on the HST forum: :birthday:

thalapathi
06-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Thanks B&I.
The best part is the troll bashing and the various other interesting things that go on. Though I have never posted, I actually spend a significant time on MFW reading the opera, more than the useful posts.

thalapathi
06-03-2002, 12:20 PM
have been reading some really useful posts on MFW like I stated above and Lyle and others have done a good job of explaining the some of the vague points in the HST article written by Bryan.
I have attached the collection of posts to this post and will be adding more as I read them, and hopefully sort into some useful form, as I think it might help a lot of people who are interested in HST.

thalapathi
06-03-2002, 06:01 PM
I have compiled some more useful posts, since the above post and now have about 20 pages worth of information on HST training and diet. I will be reading this tonite and come up with a couple of sample HST cycles I might want to follow for the next HST cycle.
As I read these posts I will try to classify them into categories, as that might help someone who might want to use it.

thalapathi
06-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Monday :

Diet

M1 : Egg whites 1cup + 2eggs + 0.5 cup oatmeal (21f/31c/34p)

M2: Boiled beans curry soup (0f/44c/18p)

M3: MRP+ flax seed meal (7f/16c/42p)

M4: 1oz peanuts, 1cup low-fat cottage cheese(16f/11c/35p)

M5: Oatmeal(4f/57c/8p) + 1 serving PeanutButter(16f/6c/8p)
1 cup Milk (0f/12c/8p)

M6: Chicken Tikka ( 24f/0c/39p)

M7: MRP+flax seed meal( 7f/16c/42p)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
total : 2378calories f=92g/c=181g/fiber=49/protein=242g
( f=36%,c=23%,p=42%)

Slightly higher in calories because I actually added M7 around 1:30AM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training

Strategic deconditioning for second HST cycle.

Other Comments

I learnt an important lesson. Type the journal entry in notepad before uploading. :swear: The WBB server had some problems once I hit the submit reply late yesterday night and I had to retype this thing now.

I am working on framing the next HST cycle. I have two thoughts right now in mind.

The first idea is to go for two 4 week mini cycles, that would be as follows :

Week1, Week2 : 15RM
Week3, Week4 :10RM
Week5,Week6 : 15RM from Week1+5%
Week7,week8:week3+5%
SD

Another idea mind is :
Week1,Week2 :15RM
Week3-Week6 :10RM mini-cycle,10RM+5% minicycle2
week7-week8 : 5RM

These are just the basic ideas I have in mind. Need to work on this further. As usual mygoal continues to be, to preserve as much lean mass as I can as I lose fat. I do realize that there might be a lose in strength. Any strength gain is a bonus, but I hope to atleast preserve current strength.

I have decided to start loading creatine from wednesday-sunday.
If I really feel like going to the gym this week, I will do cardio. I might skip cardio too this week, as I have a couple of programming projects and a paper due before this friday and a couple of finals on monday for the spring quarter.

thalapathi
06-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Tuesday:

Diet

M4: 2oz Sunflower Seeds ( 15f/7c/6p)

M5: Oatmeal(4f/57c/8p) + 1 serving PeanutButter(16f/6c/8p)
1 cup Milk (0f/12c/8p)

M6: Chicken Tikka ( 24f/0c/39p)

M7: MRP+flax seed meal( 7f/16c/42p)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: f=91g c=177g (fiber=49g),p=212g
Ratio: fat=37% carbs=24% protein=39%
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training

Other Comments

Blood&Iron
06-04-2002, 02:22 PM

I learnt an important lesson. Type the journal entry in notepad before uploading. :swear: The WBB server had some problems once I hit the submit reply late yesterday night and I had to retype this thing now.

I just save to Notepad every 5-10min(My entries usually take around 30min-1hour to do) I've lost everything a couple of times, and had to retype it, which really sucks on training days.

thalapathi
06-04-2002, 02:32 PM
I have the suppliments fixed and the workout routine fixed.

I have been thinking about four different plans, all of them for 8 weeks.

Option 1 :

Option 2 :

Option 3 :

Week 1, Week3 , Week5, Week7 : 15RM's
Week2,Week4,Week6,Week8 : 10 RM's

In the above case, I could work each week as a minicycle in itself and hit my RM max once a week, which I think is probably too much when dieting or hit the maxes on week3/week4; week7/week8.

Option4 :

Week1 -week6 (cycle 15RM and 10RM each week)
Week7-Week8 5 RM's

A few things I also need to consider is that from monday, when I start the cycle, I will have a lot of time I can dedicate to training as I am done with classes until the end of summer and could hit the gym twice a day easily. I need to read up on the advantages of doing that and decide on that.

Another factor to consider is loading up on creatine during the first week of 15's as I anyways consume a little more carbs then and that way could maintain a relatively low-carb diet this week.

thalapathi
06-05-2002, 11:13 AM
Diet

M3: Oatmeal(4f/57c/8p) + 1 serving PeanutButter(16f/6c/8p)
1 cup Milk (0f/12c/8p)

M4: MRP+ flax seed meal (7f/16c/42p)

M5: Chicken Tikka ( 24f/0c/39p)

M6: MRP+ flax seed meal (7f/16c/42p)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 2221 calories ( f=91g , c=172g/fiber=47g p=214g)

Ratio: fat=38% carbs=23% protein=39%
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training

Sleep

~5hours.

Other Comments

Sleep has been badly affected the past few days, but it is lucky I don't have to workout. My project mates somehow think, it is cool to work on projects during the night at a pathetic efficiency and spend the better part of the day browsing, "talking", chatting, and doing other general activities including attending and teaching classes. The funny part is , I thought that too, until I started to work out and learn the importance of sleep.

Blood&Iron
06-05-2002, 07:03 PM
I have the suppliments fixed and the workout routine fixed.

I have been thinking about four different plans, all of them for 8 weeks.

Option 1 :

Option 2 :

Option 3 :

Week 1, Week3 , Week5, Week7 : 15RM's
Week2,Week4,Week6,Week8 : 10 RM's

In the above case, I could work each week as a minicycle in itself and hit my RM max once a week, which I think is probably too much when dieting or hit the maxes on week3/week4; week7/week8.

Option4 :

Week1 -week6 (cycle 15RM and 10RM each week)
Week7-Week8 5 RM's

Well, generally, however much you fiddle with the implementation you want to try and stick as closely to the principles of HST as possible. These include:
1)strategic deconditioning(Obviously, you've got this one covered)
2)sufficient frequency(All the listed options meet this criterion)
3)increasing load(Only option 2 meets this one.)

So, of your listed options I think #2 is the best one. I know you have commented that you don't have a training partner and so cannot perform negatives, but as someone who does not use a training partner either, I really found lifting with two arms/legs and lowering with one worked quiet effectively--even though I altered my exercise selection somewhat to accomplish this. So, I'd say you're best bet, since you have 8 weeks if I recall correctly, is to simply follow the 'cookie-cutter' HST guidelines. Otherwise, I'd suggest maybe extending all the micro-cycles by a week or two(This time through, I'm planning on 3 weeks per micro-cycle) Also, I'm not sure how wacky you were gonna get in terms of volume/frequency. I'm assuming it's nothing that would approach the sort of thing I'm currently doing. I think splitting up upper and lower body and training M-W-F might work quite well. It depends on if you feel that you're compromising your upper body by doing it after your lower body or vice-versa when doing both together. If you are dieting, though, I would generally recommend not attempting anything like what I'm doing, as given a calorie restriction it would probably be simply too much for your body to handle(This is why I switched to bulking.)

Hope that's of some help.

Maki Riddington
06-05-2002, 09:50 PM
God job thus far.

thalapathi
06-06-2002, 12:05 PM

Well, generally, however much you fiddle with the implementation you want to try and stick as closely to the principles of HST as possible. These include:
1)strategic deconditioning(Obviously, you've got this one covered)
2)sufficient frequency(All the listed options meet this criterion)
3)increasing load(Only option 2 meets this one.)

So, of your listed options I think #2 is the best one. I know you have commented that you don't have a training partner and so cannot perform negatives, but as someone who does not use a training partner either, I really found lifting with two arms/legs and lowering with one worked quiet effectively--even though I altered my exercise selection somewhat to accomplish this. So, I'd say you're best bet, since you have 8 weeks if I recall correctly, is to simply follow the 'cookie-cutter' HST guidelines. Otherwise, I'd suggest maybe extending all the micro-cycles by a week or two(This time through, I'm planning on 3 weeks per micro-cycle) Also, I'm not sure how wacky you were gonna get in terms of volume/frequency. I'm assuming it's nothing that would approach the sort of thing I'm currently doing. I think splitting up upper and lower body and training M-W-F might work quite well. It depends on if you feel that you're compromising your upper body by doing it after your lower body or vice-versa when doing both together. If you are dieting, though, I would generally recommend not attempting anything like what I'm doing, as given a calorie restriction it would probably be simply too much for your body to handle(This is why I switched to bulking.)

Hope that's of some help.

B&I- I actually thought all the options satisfied the option 2) you have mentioned. It seems I looked at it a different way. I was thinking of option1 as two mini-cycles of 4weeks without SD inbetween to make a 8week cycle. If you look at it that way it seems to satisfy the increased loading, though when I just step back from what I think, it doesnt seem as effective. But after thinking about it and also reading some posts on HST on the HST
forums where a few members analyzed my results and gave possible interpretations, I am looking at a cycle where I just go one workout short of 3 weeks for each of the minicycles and probably end up with that( like you have suggested above), so that I will just stick with what works. I am still not confident on the negatives, due to my being paranoid with doing things wrong and getting injured and setting myself back 2/3 steps which I think is because of my inexperience. I also read Lyle stating in a couple of posts that he would aviod the negatives of HST when dieting as he felt it doesnt help much.
I am just planning to load creatine during the first week of the 15's.
Thanks for your support and help.

thalapathi
06-06-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
God job thus far.

Thanks for the support Maki. I look forward to more feedback from you once I start my HST cycle and learn from it.

thalapathi
06-06-2002, 12:31 PM
Thursday

Diet

M4: 2oz Sunflower Seeds (15f/7c/6p)

Total:
Ratio:

Training : Moderate intensity cardio 20 mins.

Sleep : ~6.5 hours

Other Comments

I felt tired when I did cardio this morning and stopped when I hit 20 mins. Interesting note, today marks a year since I last had alcohol and I have changed my eating habits, my general health around quite a bit and my lifestyle has changed since too.

thalapathi
06-12-2002, 10:08 AM
I have started with my second HST cycle since monday-06/10.

This cycle will be for 8 weeks and will include 8 workouts each of
15RM,10RM and 5RM cycles.

I have decided to alternate the two sessions I have outlined below.
a)

Squat(2)
leg curls(1)
Benchpress(2)
Incline DBpress(1)
DB Row(2)
DB Shrugs(1)
DB Shoulder Press(1)
Barbell Bicep curl(1)
Tricep Pushdown(1)
Standing calf raise(1)

b)
Leg Press(1)
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts(2)
Benchpress(2)
Incline DBpress(1)
DB Row(2)
DB Shrugs(1)
DB Shoulder Press(1)
Barbell Bicep curl(1)
Tricep Pushdown(1)
Standing calf raise(1)

15RM prev/new
--------
Squat: 165/165
leg curls: 70/80
Benchpress: 135/140
Incline DBpress: 45/50
DB Row: --/40
DB Shrugs: 40/45
DB Shoulder Press: 40/45
Barbell Bicep curl 50/55
Tricep Pushdown --/55
Standing calf raise --/380
Leg Press 450/470
SLDL --/135

10RM
-------
Squat: 175/185
leg curls 90/90
Benchpress 155/165
Incline DBpress 50/60
DB Row --/50
DB Shrugs 50/55
DB Shoulder Press 45/50
Barbell Bicep curl 70/70
Tricep Pushdown --/65
Standing calf raise --/420
Leg Press 530/550
SLDL --/165

5RM
-----
Squat: 195/205
leg curls 100/100
Benchpress 185/190
Incline DBpress 60/65
DB Row --/65
DB Shrugs 65/70
DB Shoulder Press 55/60
Barbell Bicep curl 80/80
Tricep Pushdown --/70
Standing calf raise --/470
Leg Press 590/610
SLDL --/185

thalapathi
06-12-2002, 10:09 AM
I have started with the second HST cycle as planned and I will be updating this with my first workout on monday.

thalapathi
06-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Diet

Training

Leg Press(1)
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts(2)
Benchpress(2)
Incline DBpress(1)
DB Row(2)
DB Shrugs(1)
DB Shoulder Press(1)
Barbell Bicep curl(1)
Tricep Pushdown(1)
Standing calf raise(1)

Sleep

~9 hrs

Supplements

I started off with the EC fon friday. Started at 12.5 +100 EC/3 times a day and since monday at 12.5+100EC/ 5 times a day. I havent noticed the wired feeling/buzz/etc etc still, probably because of my chronic abuse of coffee over the past 4 years. The only noticable side-effects have been decrease in appetite past two days and increased sweating. Creatine has not caused any problems yet and I started it out on monday.

Misc.

I have been sticking with the diet pretty decently, during the final week of the quarter. It is when things usually tend to breakdown. I had the well needed break from training due to SD for second cycle of HST. I have lost between 1-1.5lbs during SD which is good. Lack of sleep and odd timing has messed up with my rest and mondays workout was wierd. But I am done, for the quarter and hopefully things should be back in order from today.

Blood&Iron
06-27-2002, 02:31 PM
What the hell happened?