PDA

View Full Version : Question about bench form

jaco1159
12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,
For about a year now my bench hasn't made great increase (although its made some) my raw bench is anywhere from 305 to 315 I believe at the moment. I posted a video of my a dynamic bench set for anyone to critique because I'm really wondering if it is form related. I used 145 bar weight here (the smaller plates are because I was working with 2 other people on this day) with choked monster minis to change it up. I also used 15 sets of three this day for a bit more volume
On a side note I have been hitting triceps hard on both bench days making sure they are the first thing I hit after my max effort or dynamic bench work. My butt used to come off the bench a lot more than it is in this video and I decided to work on keeping it down more and building more tricep strength. On extra days I have been doing pull downs with a mini band for up to 100 reps, I know triceps recover fast.
In case its not a form related issue, and more from my leverages I'm 5'9"-5'10" and currently 178 lbs.

Thank you for any input from anyone (no matter how harsh or nice)

Lift hard!

jaco1159
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
woops didnt post the video I'll just post it on youtube and post a link...

jaco1159
12-10-2011, 04:51 PM
ok here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB2xAGYIa6Y

ScottYard
12-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Cut the volume down. 15 sets is a bit much. Drop the 2nd tri day as well. Let your self recover. For some gaining weight is the fastest way to boost a bench. Check at maximus in the site store as well. I think you are run down from the extra work and the extra calories will help you out.

theBarzeen
12-11-2011, 09:23 AM
agreed...... you are beating your head against the wall. Hit it hard then back off and let yourself recover.

vdizenzo
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Eeek, your form is awful! Dynamic bench is supposed to be as fast as possible while maintaining great form. I'd work on that if I were you. Also, like others have already stated, drop the work to 8x3. It's worked for many great benchers. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Please do not be discouraged by my response. Just listen to the advice given and keep up the hard work.

jaco1159
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the responses and input, I really appreciate it. Vince, if I can ask what should I fix in terms of form? A less aggressive arch maybe, or just focus on keeping my ass down completely?

I kind of mis-spoke when I was talking about my extra tricep work. I only lately started doing extra tricep work for the sake of making them my dominant bench muscle and I think its been going well.

Thanks again!

drew
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
You're all over the place. You look more like youre trying to hump the bar, not press it. Get your whole body tight and locked into the bench. There should be no movement of your lower body once you are set up. The other three guys who posted above me in this thread are incredible benchers, go find video of any of them benching and try to spot the difference between them and you.

mastermonster
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
You're all over the place. You look more like youre trying to hump the bar, not press it. Get your whole body tight and locked into the bench. There should be no movement of your lower body once you are set up. The other three guys who posted above me in this thread are incredible benchers, go find video of any of them benching and try to spot the difference between them and you.

Pretty much this. Asking hear is a good start. Good luck!