PDA

View Full Version : Squat causing strain

rankinj13
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, I've been lifting consistently for just under a year and have gone from HCT-12 to 5x5 and am now on my fourth cycle of 5/3/1. I never had any problem squatting in the 5x5 program and got up to 200+ which wasn't difficult for me. For some reason when I squat now it feels like I'm straining my upper part of my hamstring. It runs from right below my butt to about midway to my knee. I know the weight is not too much as I was doing more weight and sets during 5x5. I am also warming up properly with jump rope and sprinting form drills followed by stretching and a gradual build up of weight. What could be the problem?

RhodeHouse
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
You have an injury that you keep aggravating. You're gong to get hurt lifting. It's part of the game. Back off, let it heal up, then get back after it.

Murderous
12-13-2011, 05:20 PM
You have an injury that you keep aggravating. You're gong to get hurt lifting. It's part of the game. Back off, let it heal up, then get back after it.Agreed, taking time off now will help yourself heal faster.

ScottYard
12-13-2011, 06:53 PM
ICe ICE and then ICE some more. hammys are tricky. Rest and ice and maybe get a roller or a stick and get rolling.

chris mason
12-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Your form is likely horrible. The fact you have done all of those routines and are only squatting in the 200s clearly shows you are doing something wrong. Take a video of you squatting and let us see it.

Oh, and static stretching before resistance training is not a good thing. All of that crap you are doing prior to actually resistance training is excessive and unjustified.

rankinj13
12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think ill take the next three weeks off of squatting to recover. I'll try to get a video up here when I can, but I don't think my form is horrible, definitely not close to perfect either. The thing is I didn't squat during the time I did HCT-12. I also started 5x5 at the very beginning. So 45 lb squats. When I switched over to 5/3/1 I had probably squatted up to 220 for 5x5. So right now in my fourth cycle my squat is at about 220-230 for my calculations. And I can typically do 10+ on the 5/3/1 week. Not trying to prove anything of course as I am new to lifting, just don't think my form is horrible haha. Thanks again guys, and extra thanks to you Chris, i love your products.

rankinj13
12-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Hate to double post, but do you guys think I should drop leg press and leg curls too? Those are my assistance exercises for squat. They don't seem to bother me when I do them.

RhodeHouse
12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
I think the Leg Press has it's place. I think it's a better assistance movement for the deadlift, but that's debateable.

The Leg Curls are a waste at this point in your lifting career. SLDL, Light Good Mornings, Back Raises are much better exercises and address other muscle groups as well.

If you want to get stronger, choose exercises that use multiple muscle groups to perform. Leg Curls use one and in my opinion are a complete waste.

rankinj13
12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm just following the template given on http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength. I am only looking to get stronger and really don't care about size. Do you have any advice on switching up the assistance exercises to something else?

RhodeHouse
12-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, do some research and figure it out for yourself. The problem with following a program written on a website is you don't know who wrote it. You have no idea how big or strong they are. You don't know what their experience is under the bar.

Not to mention, all of us who are now big and strong, figured it all out for ourselves. We tried different things. We figured out what worked and what was a waste. It takes a lot of time. A LOT!

What troubles me the most about your response is that you don't want to get bigger?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Why would you lift weights? In my day, the only reason you started lifting was to get bigger and stronger. I don't get kids these days.

rankinj13
12-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Haha I think it came out wrong. I have no problem with growing in size and getting bigger I just meant that it's not one of my goals for lifting. I'm lifting to get stronger, and yes I know a side effect of that is getting bigger as well, which is not a problem for me. And I'm just curious what assistance exercises you thought were best for developing overall strength for someone new to lifting. I feel like I'm still at the point where everything will help me improve because I'm so new too lifting. Was just curious what assistance exercises you would recommend to a complete beginner power-lifter. Thanks again.