PDA

View Full Version : Starting box squats

K Y L E
12-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I purchased the Westside Book of Methods and I liked the idea of incorporating box squats into my routine. I've tried them before, but I tried them with the exact information I learned from the book and it worked out a lot better this time. I was pushing with my feet rather than my entire posterior chain. Since it was the first time I did it for real, I worked up to 185 lbs and did 12 reps. The box was a little higher than my knees at 21 inches. The book calls for 10-16 inch boxes. Since i'm just starting out, should I get used to the height of the box before I drop it lower, or should I just start doing it the proper way by training lighter, and immediately switch to a lower (16 inch) box?

RhodeHouse
12-18-2011, 10:09 PM
The box height should have you at slightly below parallel. Whatever height that is. I would start there and drop the weight and master technique before you increase.

RhodeHouse
12-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Taking a look at your lifts and your bodyweight, my first question is, what are your goals? At 150lbs my first and foremost goal would be to put on a buttload of size. If this is your goal, and God I hope it is, I'd drop the box squats. They don't do anything for building muscle.

Good old fashioned rep work is the answer, especially at your age and size.

Just my opinion.

K Y L E
12-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Well here's a quick background, I wanted to compete as a 60kg powerlifter, but I decided I'd be better if I gained weight, hopefully like 185, so yeah, I'm trying hard to gain weight. I'm eating 6,000 calories throughout 6 meals per day, mostly clean. 220-270 grams of protein, and a gallon of water each day. I'm thinking about doing a gallon of milk a day, or at least throwing in a half gallon. I lift anywhere between 3 and 5 days a week, consistently, focusing on the big 3 lifts and some isolation work for my quads, shoulders, and triceps. Any advice anyone could give me on getting the weight to stick would be my hero.

ScottYard
12-19-2011, 05:47 AM
ARE YOU GOING TO WEAR GEAR OR LIFT RAW?

vdizenzo
12-19-2011, 05:57 AM
I purchased the Westside Book of Methods and I liked the idea of incorporating box squats into my routine. I've tried them before, but I tried them with the exact information I learned from the book and it worked out a lot better this time. I was pushing with my feet rather than my entire posterior chain. Since it was the first time I did it for real, I worked up to 185 lbs and did 12 reps. The box was a little higher than my knees at 21 inches. The book calls for 10-16 inch boxes. Since i'm just starting out, should I get used to the height of the box before I drop it lower, or should I just start doing it the proper way by training lighter, and immediately switch to a lower (16 inch) box?

From Louie Simmons:

"Box squatting is the easiest way to learn to squat properly. Most everyone will start descending correctly, but at some point problems occur. To fix this, start on a box several inches above parallel. Squat down to the box. Then have a training partner take out a or 1 inch mat or board. Again sit back, not down, on the box. When this feels right, take out a mat or board again until you are breaking parallel. Anyone can squat correctly if your coach or training partner is smart. You can't teach what you don't know."

I have seen this method work very well in person. However, you need a training partner. Use either squares of plywood, gym mat, or carpet squares to build up the box height. Like stated above, as you do reps correctly have a partner pull out the squares thus lowering your depth while keeping correct form.

K Y L E
12-19-2011, 06:50 AM
I would compete raw, but as of now, I'm focusing on gaining weight. Thank you for the feedback vdizenzo.