PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Critique of my Box Squat...

RFabsik
12-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Did a ME Box Squat day to a 13" box. Wanting feedback to improve.
Is the depth adequate?
Do I need to sit back more?
Sometimes I feel like I shift forward then squat up--should I just be driving up?

It's about 2 minutes, long, I included warmups too, so fast forward if they are too boring.
I also showed a fail--which I think was mental. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fV4tk_Yx_k

vdizenzo
12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't like the way you look down when you squat. I find the chest goes with the head. Look up or at least straight forward imo.

chris mason
12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I am guessing your stance is too narrow. Vincent is right about your head. You also tend to lack control of the descent as you near the box. You kind of plop on it. Overall not bad.

RFabsik
12-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys.
I'll work on head position, and agree when I get stuck I'll look down and sometimes pop my hips up and tip forward.

I also noticed the box "plop" when I was putting the video together. First, I'll try working on a controlled descent and then if that doesn't help--should I heighten the box and slowly lower the height over time?

In regards to width, I don't compete and since box squatting my stance had gotten probably a footwidth on each sider wider, whereas before I probably squatted with my legs just outside of my hips. I know Louie is a big fan of a wide stance, I'll see if I can sneak it out more and maybe next time I squat get an alternative angle shot so you can be critical of my width.

Thanks a lot.

kingns
12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
You seem to be deloading on the box more than I would recommend. I once heard someone describe it like "if you had your feet on a scale when you unrack it, weigh 200 and have 405 on the bar the scale will say 605, when you sit down onto the box it should say somewhere around 500." When you are on the box there, it looks like the scale would say 50 lbs, you are completely sitting onto the box and no tension on your legs. Jeremy frey said you should squat onto the box like its covered in nails, or something like that. I probly butchered those descriptions but it should get the point across. For raw squatting you shouldn't completely relax on the box.
Depth looks fine
If you wanna focus on looking up, put a stick or something on the wall at a height a few feet higher than your head, and look up towards it
For stance, going wide might work if you have gear on, but for raw squatting you do not wanna box squat with a overly wide stance.

ScottYard
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Depth is good. Get those elbows down harder. This will get that head up.

mastermonster
12-20-2011, 10:49 PM
There are a couple of different trains of thought for box squats or maybe more. I'm of the 'don't deload on the box' train. To my mind, if the box makes you do anything other than your meet squat, technique wise; it's counter productive. I see the box as simply a depth imprinting tool and for re-enforcing sitting back during the decent. My meet squat looks just like my box squat. As soon as I feel the box I shoot the squat back up. I like the 'bed of nails' analogy. If your box squat technique would leave you on the floor on your #ss if the box weren't there it is training in bad habits that you'll have to 'un-learn' again to squat correctly. That's our soul purpose for using a box; and we use it a lot.

RFabsik
12-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I'll try to get those elbows down more. I feel when I pull them down more, I start to loose the shelf feeling in my upper back. Does that mean I should pull downand pinch the shoulder blades?

Even if I want to use the deload method, looking at my "plop down," I definitely need to work in keeping the tension in the posterior chain as I get to the box.

Thanks again.

Niko_El_Piko
12-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Interesting comment by Monster on the bed of nails analogy.
Regarding your Box Sq RF, I see that you are sitting down and not back. Your shins should be somewhere at a 45 degree angle. Your head and then your chest should lead the movement when you go off the box, so you should look up; and I also think you need a wider stance to get full benefit from the Box Sq, control your descent and really squeeze your glutes when you go up. I also agree, that your elbows should be under the bar.

Hogbody_308
12-25-2011, 09:01 PM
*Stop with the looking down stuff. Look slightly up the way Luke Edwards and Jimmy Grandick do. Thats why you missed 355 and the other sets looked a bit rough.

*Once your ass hit the box you loosened up. ALWAYS stay tight especially when you hit the box.

*The rocking crap will only f**k up your set. The rocking will loosen you up.

*From what I can tell you could stand a bit wider. Box squatting with a medium or close stance is a bitch.

Other than the stuff mentioned you DID NOT have a round back and your knees DID NOT cave in. That's always good.