PDA

View Full Version : How much NSAIDs do you take every week during a training cycle?

dammstrate
12-25-2011, 04:50 PM
For a long time I took 4 200mg ibuprofens in the morning and than 4 again
at about 2pm for a 6pm lifting session. Did this 3-4 times/week, but usually
nothing on the other 3 days.

Recently 2 50mg indomethecins or 3 75mg Voltarins seem to do a better job.

How much of what do you guys take every week while in a meet prep cycle?

NITF
12-25-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm a lifting novice... but that seems like a shit-ton of anti-inflammatory meds with potentially adverse side effects....

theBarzeen
12-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I am getting pretty bad tendonitis in my right arm ( from conducting my band at work I think).... so I'll take two 200mg ibuprophen before benching...... that's it. Asprin every day for my heart, but I try to use as little NSAIDS as possible.

I try to rely on ice massage, regular massage, contrasting showers, foam rolling, etc.... instead of drugs if at all possible.

mastermonster
12-25-2011, 10:57 PM
One prescription Mobic 15mg. per day and a low dose aspirin, every day. 2-200gm Ibuprophen 4 times per day on non-training days. Training days it's the same except the pre-workout ibuprophen dose is 4-200mg softgels. After the meet I take a break from it except for the Mobic and aspirin.

barryisawinnah
12-26-2011, 07:06 AM
None, occasionally maybe like 200mgs if I have a headache (which is rare, and normally from being under hydrated)

Before football games a couple years ago, I was taking 1,000mgs, lol

dammstrate
12-26-2011, 07:57 AM
According to my doctor, people with chronic arthritis take 1200-1600mg ibuprofen
every day, or if that causes stomach problems, 2-3 x 50 indomethecins, or 2-3 75mg Voltarens. I try to not exceed this on training days, and do almost nothing on off-days to try to even it out. I have heard of a few people who take WAY more than that
on training days.

ThomasG
12-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Usually None.

jkstrength
12-26-2011, 11:54 AM
None. Unless its really bad then R.I.C.E. plus 2400 mg daily for two weeks usually knocks any inflammation down.

Logan
12-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I take none, I also heard that Kelly Starrett said that ibuprofen causes improper healing. Food for thought.

dammstrate
12-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Who is Kelly Starret? Never heard of that person.

barryisawinnah
12-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Who is Kelly Starret? Never heard of that person.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/about

Don't know much about him, but I have also heard that NSAIDs inhibit hypertrophy, not sure where, or how true it is though. Also not sure of their effects on strength gains either.

Logan
12-26-2011, 04:24 PM
He said that Tylenol was because it only blocks pain, but Ibuprofen remove inflammation so it not good(I guess). I really don't no but I steer clear of it just in case.

K-R-M
12-26-2011, 05:52 PM
About Ibuprofen, it only stop healing if we're talking acute inflammation i.e. right after an injury. In the case of chronic inflammation, stopping the inflammation is usually a good thing.

I am getting pretty bad tendonitis in my right arm ( from conducting my band at work I think).... so I'll take two 200mg ibuprophen before benching...... that's it. Asprin every day for my heart, but I try to use as little NSAIDS as possible.

I try to rely on ice massage, regular massage, contrasting showers, foam rolling, etc.... instead of drugs if at all possible.

About aspirin, it only prevents heart disease if you've already had a heart problem.

vdizenzo
12-26-2011, 07:13 PM
No NSAIDs for me.

Sensei
12-26-2011, 07:40 PM
According to my doctor, people with chronic arthritis take 1200-1600mg ibuprofen
every day, or if that causes stomach problems, 2-3 x 50 indomethecins, or 2-3 75mg Voltarens. I try to not exceed this on training days, and do almost nothing on off-days to try to even it out. I have heard of a few people who take WAY more than that on training days.
I'm really wary of taking NSAIDs beyond what is absolutely necessary. Basically the only time I'll take them anymore is when I have a head-splitting migraine or I'm on the ground w. back spasms.

My wife has arthritis and doctors are, in my opinion and experience , very, very, very quick to prescribe drugs before looking for alternative medicines such as life-style changes (diet, breathing, posture, stress-reduction, exercise, etc.) that would potentially greatly reduce symptoms.

I haven't read the research personally, but a lot of people are really down on their use for strength/hypertrophy athletes. Not that fish oil alone is always going to cut it, but it's probably worth looking into supplements that would have fewer potentially negative side-effects.

SELK
12-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Ill take 400mg of Ibuprofen pre-wo if my tendonitis is acting up. I will also use a ton of heat rubs and wear elbow sleeves. It comes in waves and I likely end up doing this once every 2 months on average so I am not worried about side effects.

If I keep up with rolling out my elbows, icing them post-WO then this is not necessary. The problem is that I only use regular 7 foot straight bars to squat with and the way I squat (pushing elbows through to keep chest up) puts a pretty good amount of stress on them.

chris mason
12-26-2011, 08:23 PM
The idea that NSAIDs interfere with recovery comes from the fact they reduce inflammation and it is theorized that some degree of inflammation is a necessary component of the recovery process. A study, if I remember correctly, showed that NSAIDs reduced recovery or something of the like is what created the idea Kelley espouses. The problem is that I believe there have been subsequent studies which did not reproduce the negative recovery effect with NSAIDs.

theBarzeen
12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=
About aspirin, it only prevents heart disease if you've already had a heart problem.[/QUOTE]

I have a very high red blood cell count so I take asprin to keep the blood thin and I donate double red cells as often as possible..... and lots of studies on it's use as a preventative.... like this one.... http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000293430501079X

Niko_El_Piko
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I donīt take any NSAID. Only cardioaspirin (100mg).

LouPac
12-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I only take NSAIDs when in serious pain, never to relieve pain from training.