PDA

View Full Version : Zercher squats. To do or not to do.

Phyde2
12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
So I am trying to decide whether or not to add Zercher squats into my routine or not. I would be doing them on a Wednesday after back squatting on Sunday's. I lift raw and am wondering how much carryover they will have to my raw lifts. Thanks in advance guys.

ScottYard
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
This is different for averyone. Give them a try. I did them for a while but as I.got stronger it was tough on my biceps. They might be great for you.

thecityalive
12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I honestly hate the pressure on my arms, I'd rather do BB hacks.

chris mason
12-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Why not use them as an alternative to your back squatting? Flip them into your routine every 3-4 weeks instead of the back squat.

Brian Hopper
12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd rather do front squats instead. I use to do zerchers for a while, but stopped because I didn't like the pressure on my biceps. But if your going to do them, then I would do what Chris mentioned.

Phyde2
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input.

Tom Mutaffis
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
So I am trying to decide whether or not to add Zercher squats into my routine or not. I would be doing them on a Wednesday after back squatting on Sunday's. I lift raw and am wondering how much carryover they will have to my raw lifts. Thanks in advance guys.

I never liked them for the same reason that Scott stated - they put a lot of pressure on your biceps and in my opinion do not provide any benefit that you would not receive from doing front squats or other squat/deadlift variations.

Some people do like them though, so it may be worth giving them a try to see how you respond.

barryisawinnah
12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Another vote for front squats over zerchers

RFabsik
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I read somewhere to help protect the biceps sometimes putting a sturdy board in the crease of the elbows and then the barbell helps distribute the pressure better.

Anyone love Zerchers enough that it is worth getting a Zercher harness?

Phyde2
12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Well I Think I am going to give them a shot. Did them the other day an I am a little bruised up but nothing to bad.

I have heard of the board thing but personally I would rather just wear a hoodie or something. It provided enough cushioning.

So everyone does not like the pressure it causes, is It the bruising or is there injury that has followed?

kingns
12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
my vote is not to do em.
If you get bored of front squats, box squats, hi bar, low bar, and adding bands/chains/reverse bands to any of those THEN I would add them, but feel like any of those would be more effective. But then again if you suck at them and they make you stronger they would be good.