PDA

View Full Version : [Pro Journal] - April Mathis Training Log

Pages : [1] 2

April Mathis
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Because Brian said it was a good idea to post this here, This is just a copy of mine at supertraining.com, so it's the same thing obviously for whoever reads that.

My next meet is still going to be raw full-power, so that is what I am focusing on. I'm trying to learn a bench shirt and once in awhile I squat with briefs in between too, but today was only the fourth time since my last meet that I put a shirt on and I hadn't been using it for awhile before then. One of my training partners brought a different shirt for me to try and I also tried another one I had that I hadn't tried in a long time, so that part wasn't real good today. I need to practice with it more, but I'm not too focused on it right now.

I had a shoulder injury at the last meet, and it still hurts alot benching much of the time, but I feel strong benching also right now, so I try to be more careful and take a week off benching more often in between as it's not really affecting my strength or performance at all. Mostly putting a shirt on helps some so I can do some more volume on bench and help improve my lockout. That is mainly what I have been using it for lately.

My goals for my next meet are a 730 squat, 430-440 bench, 605 deadlift, and total at least 1750 raw. I am planning to do the women's pro-am meet in Cincinnati, Ohio on 04/14/2012 as long as I can afford to travel there. Otherwise I will do a closer meet sometime near then.

April Mathis
12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
12/29/2011 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
275x2
Add carpet (sinks to ~1" off chest)/paused reps
315x2
365x1
405x2 PR
420x1 PR
Add loose denim shirt/2-board
455x3
switched to different denim shirt
495x1 but didn't touch
545xmiss- out of groove and dumped it forward

Flat DB Press
140sx5 db in left hand was very unbalanced so stopped there
140sx8 better
165sx2 PR

PecDec
90x20x3sets

My raw benching was good but left shoulder is still hurting a lot. I got frustrated with the shirt today, so I just stopped there. I tried a third poly shirt besides this that was too small and couldn't even move the bar down more than a cm or so from lockout, lol. I think I will have to just use the loose one for awhile, because the weight is easy I just have a problem with touching.

NickAus
12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Strong PR!!

Brian Hopper
12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Strong session April.

Brian C
12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Great to see you posting here April! Your numbers are truely incredible. Look forward to following your log.

mastermonster
12-29-2011, 10:19 PM
April you are a 'She Beast'! In the most complimentary sense of the term!

April Mathis
12-30-2011, 06:31 PM
lol @ Buddy. I have had a couple different nicknames at places I've trained. 'Beast' was one of them from a few people that trained with me in Tampa.

12/30/2011 Back/Biceps

Shrug Machine
225x15x2sets
315x15x2sets

Pullups neutral-grip
BWx8,7,6,6

DB Rows (each arm)
140x8x3sets too easy should have used heavier db

DB Concentration Curls
30sx10
40sx8
50sx8
65sx6

That's all. I went light today because I pull in 2 days.

NickAus
12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Nice back work, looking forward to the pulls!!

April, do you prioritize trap work on upper back back days? I have been lately as I feel traps are really important for me.

Keen to hear your thoughts there!

April Mathis
12-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Nice back work, looking forward to the pulls!!

April, do you prioritize trap work on upper back back days? I have been lately as I feel traps are really important for me.

Keen to hear your thoughts there!

I'm not good at pulling...no one should be interested in what I do with that lol. Actually I think I can pull over 600 if not now extremely close so it's getting better.

When I do back stuff, I usually try to do some kind of horizontal pull (rows), some kind of vertical pull (pulldowns or pullups), something for traps (shrugs), and something for biceps (curls), and sometimes another variation of one or two of those things. I don't really prioritize anything. Usually if I do barbell rows, I do those first in the session. If not, sometimes I do shrugs first and sometimes pulldowns. I'm strong at upper back stuff and biceps for that matter, so I don't overthink it. There is not really one thing I have to really focus on working on.

April Mathis
12-31-2011, 04:49 PM
I have a series of e-books that teach you how to build a big raw squat. The first one I just listed on my website. The price is $25 by paypal or $20 by money order. (You have to contact me to pay by money order.)

Check out my website. Click on the link in my signature and scroll down to the bottom of the page under the "Training Programs" tab. It is the last one at the bottom.

Included is a 19-page e-book and I will give you the password to access it after purchase. It gives you the basic outline of the routine (16 weeks) and a thorough explanation of the following: how to set up the lifts, alternate set ups and modifications for limited equipment, what percentages to use, how and when to change the percentages if you miss a lift or it is too easy, what assistance work to do and how much, how to warm up and work up to the heaviest sets (with examples of many different strength levels), when to use the program, how to integrate a meet into the training cycle, what to do once you finish the program, and much more.

This type of training is a large part of how I took my squat from 460lbs. to over 600lbs. and currently around 700lbs. raw all at around the same bodyweight It is also how I got my beltless squat from 330lbs to 510lbs. (before I squatted 611lbs. under very strict judging in a meet). The deadlift portion was also a part of my most successful deadlift training cycle that I've had.

NickAus
12-31-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not good at pulling...no one should be interested in what I do with that lol. Actually I think I can pull over 600 if not now extremely close so it's getting better.

When I do back stuff, I usually try to do some kind of horizontal pull (rows), some kind of vertical pull (pulldowns or pullups), something for traps (shrugs), and something for biceps (curls), and sometimes another variation of one or two of those things. I don't really prioritize anything. Usually if I do barbell rows, I do those first in the session. If not, sometimes I do shrugs first and sometimes pulldowns. I'm strong at upper back stuff and biceps for that matter, so I don't overthink it. There is not really one thing I have to really focus on working on.

Thanks April, makes sense.

Really pleased to have you here!!

April Mathis
01-01-2012, 01:32 PM
01/01/2012 Light Squat/ Heavy Deadlift

Squat w/Buffalo Bar
barxsome
145x5
235x5
325x5
415x5 loose belt

Deadlift (reset each rep)
245x3
325x2
425x1
485x4x2sets loose belt

No assistance today. My back was hurting more than usual and everything felt like shit. 485 should have been 2 sets of 5 today on the deadlift. The second set I didn't even finish the lockout on the last rep. I've had a lot of good training days for awhile though. Need to take a couple extra days off this week I think.

P.S. See Nick I told you my deadlift would not be very interesting, lol. It's pretty messed up what I consider a light squat and a heavy deadlift is almost the same weight.

NickAus
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
You can learn a ton from people who are not built to deadlift yet have built up their pull (think J Bryant).

I have seen your vids and you look better built to squat, and yeah that is pretty funny how the "light" squats with a special bar are close :).

April Mathis
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
You can learn a ton from people who are not built to deadlift yet have built up their pull (think J Bryant).

I have seen your vids and you look better built to squat, and yeah that is pretty funny how the "light" squats with a special bar are close :).

I am definitely not built for deadlift. Today was just a bad day though. But I should be better at it then I am. Light squats are really always the same for awhile sets of 5 up to 375 or 415 usually for a couple sets of 5. I only did one set because my back hurt enough already and was hoping deadlift wouldn't suck too much after...but it did. I am planning to outsquat my pull by over 100lbs. raw at my next meet, lol.

Plan for next week is 505+500 chain raw squat or as close as possible to that. And I will try to get someone to video tape it.

April Mathis
01-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I have just finished listing the 2nd e-book in my squat series on my website: http://mathistrainingsolutions.com/. It includes a 5-week transition phase, and a 12-week meet peaking cycle. The name of it is "Meet Peaking Cycle for the Raw Squat+Deficit Deadlift Routine" (it is at the bottom of the page under the Training Programs tab). If you buy or have bought phase 1, then this is how to transition from that to a meet and hit a big squat PR. The price of this one is only $20 (or $15 by money order if you contact me). Since it is meant to follow the first program, this will give you a $5 savings.

April Mathis
01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Now for today's training:

01/02/2012 Triceps/ Shoulders

Modified Triceps Press
barxsome
95x8
135x8
185x8
235x8 PR

Band Pushdowns
Blue bandx20x5sets

Lying DB Extensions (each arm)
30x8
40x8
50x8

DB Side Raises
20sx10x3sets

Face Pulls
75x15x3sets each side

Rotator stuff

Good assistance work.

I usually do more shoulder work but I'm not for a short time except a few light things because of the shoulder injury. I'd rather at least be able to bench.

mastermonster
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Great stuff April! I'll post here before friday if it looks like I can get over there sunday if the invite still stands.

April Mathis
01-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Great stuff April! I'll post here before friday if it looks like I can get over there sunday if the invite still stands.

Yeah anytime. I just have to make sure with Jon that he can train at noon also this week. Once in awhile he works on Sunday and has to train a different time, but not usually.

April Mathis
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks to all the people that bought the first squat program so far. And anyone else thinking about it, it is unlike anything I have ever seen written by anyone else. I always do my own thing with training and have figured out some good ideas not seen elsewhere.

Since I have been having more success with this, I decided to also lower the prices of the custom programs by 50%, so they are now a lot cheaper. Anyone interested check it out. Thanks.

April Mathis
01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
01/05/2012 Bench

Bench Press

barxsome

135x8

225x3

Add slingshot

315x3

365x3

405x3

440x2 PR

Blast shirt/3-board

455x1

1-board

455x1

full-range

455xmiss i know these aren't great anyways, but shirt was too big

Flat DB Press

140sx7,8

Paused reps drop set:

70sx20/55sx15/40sx15

PecDec (paused reps)

90x10

120x10

150x8

Drop Set: 75x6/45x8 +15 pushups

Benching was ok. Small pr double with the slingshot. I tried a blast shirt after that was too big to fit me. Didn't feel like it helped at all. I tried one before that was a little better. Need to see if Jon still has it. Shoulders are beat up though. Most likely will take a week off benching next week.

April Mathis
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
01/05/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
Add slingshot
315x3
365x3
405x3
440x2 PR
Blast shirt/3-board
455x1
1-board
455x1
full-range
455xmiss i know these aren't great anyways, but shirt was too big

Flat DB Press
140sx7,8
Paused reps drop set:
70sx20/55sx15/40sx15

PecDec (paused reps)
90x10
120x10
150x8
Drop Set: 75x6/45x8 +15 pushups

Benching was ok. Small pr double with the slingshot. I tried a blast shirt after that was too big to fit me. Didn't feel like it helped at all. I tried one before that was a little better. Need to see if Jon still has it. Shoulders are beat up though. Most likely will take a week off benching next week.

Brian Hopper
01-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Strong PR April!!!

mastermonster
01-05-2012, 06:56 PM
The bench training looks almost super-human! Awesome! I'll have to take a raincheck on training there Sunday. Got some roadbumps in some dealings here I need to stay close to home on for a bit. Hopefully we can a little later.

April Mathis
01-06-2012, 12:04 AM
The bench training looks almost super-human! Awesome! I'll have to take a raincheck on training there Sunday. Got some roadbumps in some dealings here I need to stay close to home on for a bit. Hopefully we can a little later.

Lol I don't know about superhuman but thanks. Damn I was looking forward to it (although I still look forward to squatting heavy anyways). But that's cool. I might try to come there sometime in the near future. I need to make some more money right now. Otherwise even though it's not that far, it's still at least $15-20 in gas I can't spend.

And thanks Brian I guess I should be happy with it. Everything felt heavy today though because my shoulders felt beat up. Then again I only get about 30lbs. from the slingshot and I've benched 405x2 recently so it is about right.

NickAus
01-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Great bench work there!!

GazzyG
01-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Checking in to see how you train. Great stuff!

April Mathis
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Checking in to see how you train. Great stuff!

I'm more random about things when not close to a meet. When I train for a meet it's different, just fyi.

April Mathis
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
01/06/2012 Back/Biceps

Barbell Rows
135x10
225x5
315x5
405x5x2sets strict form

Barbell Shrugs w/Cambered bench bar
behind back superset w/ in front
225x10/10
315x10/10
405x10/10
495x8/8

Lat Pulldowns neutral-grip
150x8x4sets

DB Hammer Curls
30sx8
40sx8
50sx8
60sx8

First time I did rows in awhile, so didn't go too heavy. That was enough today though because I'm squatting heavy Sunday.

NickAus
01-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Big rows.......ill catch you!!

mastermonster
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Not heavy on rows my ***! LOL!

SELK
01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
those are insane rows. Im surprised your deadlift isn't higher given that kind of back strength (not say say your deadlift is weak at all!). I pull like 170lbs more than you but wouldnt have a hope in hell of rowing 4 plates for a single.

April Mathis
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
those are insane rows. Im surprised your deadlift isn't higher given that kind of back strength (not say say your deadlift is weak at all!). I pull like 170lbs more than you but wouldnt have a hope in hell of rowing 4 plates for a single.

My deadlift sucks, I know. You can say it's weak - I make fun of my deadlift all the time. I'm not really sure why I'm not better at it. I'm strong at pretty much all back stuff except deadlift. And I can pull pretty much the same completely stiff-legged than with better form, which is messed up. My rows and deadlift is almost the same for reps (I've done 455x5 on rows) and my squat is mostly back than anything else. Can we change the 3 lifts to squat, bench, row or squat, bench, goodmorning? I'm really good at those too.

Nick- No you won't, but you can try. I've not trained with anyone that could beat me on them. I know of only a few people that do them heavier.

Buddy- Lol, it's not for me.

tom183
01-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Truly impressive numbers.

GazzyG
01-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Those rows are ridiculous. Must have massive back strength to do that!

mastermonster
01-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I know your young and tough but be careful with the rows that heavy and the extremely heavy hammer curls. I was already over 50 and more injury prone but around 06 I was going up to 465 for bent rows from the floor and 150 lb. hammer curls. When they did my shoulder scope in 06 they found that I'd frayed the tendon of my upper bicep. I do both moves lighter now for more reps. I'd make sure that shoulder problem you're having isn't that possibly.

NickAus
01-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Love your attitude!!

I will try lol.

April Mathis
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I know your young and tough but be careful with the rows that heavy and the extremely heavy hammer curls. I was already over 50 and more injury prone but around 06 I was going up to 465 for bent rows from the floor and 150 lb. hammer curls. When they did my shoulder scope in 06 they found that I'd frayed the tendon of my upper bicep. I do both moves lighter now for more reps. I'd make sure that shoulder problem you're having isn't that possibly.

Well my right shoulder has been messed up for a long time. The rotator is partially torn and it always aches and takes a long time to recover. However, recently, at the last meet I did I tore something in my left shoulder while pressing 415 on my second attempt (I was smart enough to pass on the 3rd even though it was still easy). It was bruised a small amount for maybe a week or just over. I benched 2 weeks later and felt fine benching. The next week I went heavier and it hurt a little but not bad, mostly about the same as my other shoulder is most of the time. After that it's been acting up quite a bit when I bench. It really felt like it was just a minor muscle tear when it happened, but it's lasted a long time (although I've also been benching heavy a lot so that may also be why). After a week off of benching it feels fine again, regardless of what else I do, so I dunno. I'm not really willing to not bench heavy when it's not really been getting any worse by benching heavy (been about the same, but not better) or interfering with strength in any way. So I've just been taking a week off a bit more often in between.

And the hammer curls I wasn't doing heavy. I very rarely do those heavy. I've done 100s a few times, but I have never seen anyone do 150s, damn. I thought I was pretty good at curls until I read that. I have aggravated my biceps tendon a few times where it attaches near the shoulder. I don't know that's not the problem, but it doesn't hurt at all to do rows or curls of any kind, just benching. I really do not remember what it hurt to do other than benching the other times. It was too long ago.

April Mathis
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
01/08/2012 Heavy Squat (1st session)

Squat
barxsome
145x3
235x3
325x2
415x1 loose belt
415+140lbs. chainx1
415+220lbs. chainx1
415+300lbs. chainx1 tighter belt
435+380lbs. chainx1 belt/loose wraps
455+460lbs. chainxmiss belt/tighter wraps

Weighted Decline Situps (weight held at arms length behind head)
BW+10x10
BW+25x10
BW+35x8

Did not get what I wanted on the squats today. They felt a little better the last time I used chains and had gotten 465+420lbs. chain, but it was still a decent jump in weight I went for on the last set. It felt ok on the setup and unrack, but I got too far forward on the way down (which is usually what happens if it's too heavy and I miss) and couldn't get it from there. My plan was to follow this set with somewhere between 475-505+ 500lbs. chain, but I guess that might be a little while longer. I might need to add in some goodmornings again for awhile.

Heavy Deadlift (2nd session)
135x5
225x3
Add purple bands (~150lbs. tension)
225x3
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x1 loose belt
455x1
505xmiss above knees, but close

Leg Raises- 3sets for time

I was helping a friend later and decided to deadlift since I'm taking a break next week (that way I don't skip pulling week). The purple bands are estimated tension similar to 150lbs. due to we have a very large platform they are stretched across, so there is already a decent amount of tension on the bottom also. I just wanted to work up to a heavy single and see what it felt like. The 455+bands I think ties my best previous and it felt pretty easy so I was happy about that. I tried 505 after(because 25lbs. plates were closest lol), and barely missed it. I really had no desire to try 485 or 495 after, so I just stopped there. I still felt much better about my deadlift this week than last week. Knowing I hit a 455+bands just before hitting a 585 deadlift in the gym in the past, I think I can pull 600+ right now.

NickAus
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Strong squats!!

I personally love band pulls, my setup with purples is 110-120.

Great work!

April Mathis
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Strong squats!!

I personally love band pulls, my setup with purples is 110-120.

Great work!

We have about a 10 foot platform and the band loops are on the edges of it. One of my training partners said that is about what they are. It feels about that but no idea. It's not the same as straight weight so can only compare it to itself and can sometimes attempt to draw a correlation if you have gotten stronger at it. Even though I can't get more than 4 reps with 485 straight weight, I am extremely good at singles in comparison.

GazzyG
01-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Very strong training session! Very impressive stuff! At what point in your training did you begin training with chains and bands?

April Mathis
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Very strong training session! Very impressive stuff! At what point in your training did you begin training with chains and bands?

When I've had access to it, which means I didn't use it at all the first few years. The first time I bought some bands was to use for reverse bands on benching to help get back to heavy weight without as much stress on the bottom after an injury I had. Other than that, I haven't used bands and chains very much until recently. I have done a couple training cycles of pulling against bands (and these were probably the best gains I've had on deadlift except for the first few years). I also have used chains with benching from time to time (usually I only had 50lbs. of chain to use for awhile). Squat I have done mostly all straight weight until the last 4 months, except I did 1-2 sets of reverse bands after all my straight weight sets for one squat cycle. So, in the last 4 months I have been using them a lot more than before.

April Mathis
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
01/09/2012 Triceps/Light Shoulders

Modified Triceps Press
barxsome
95x8
135x8
185x8
245x8 PR

Shoulder Press Machine
150x10x3sets

Band Pushdowns
Blue bandx20x5sets

Plate Raises
45x12x3sets

DB Side Raises
20sx10x3sets

Face Pulls
75x15x3sets each side

Shoulder Horn
10sx15x3sets

Just some assistance work. Going light the rest of this week. No bench, squat, or deadlift this week.

April Mathis
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Added a bench program e-book to my website today. It's a 12-week meet cycle that focuses on strengthening the mid-range (2-6 inches off chest) of your bench if that is your weakness and peaking for a meet. It is $20 (by money order it is $15)and covers assistance work as well. It is located under the squat programs at the bottom of the training programs tab on my website.

April Mathis
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I was in a pretty bad car accident on Tuesday night. I'm ok, just sore, but really pissed off about it. The other driver just pulled out in front of me when I was driving 45-50mph. Good thing I drive a large truck. I wasn't gonna bench today, but this screwed up a lot of stuff as far as work and everything for me for awhile since my truck is being totalled from it, and I wanted to do something because I was really pissed off. Need to take a week off next week though, because my shoulders really need it. I could tell because even using something that helps with shoulder pain, my shoulders were still very sore.

01/12/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
Add foam
225x3
315x3
365x3
405x3
435x1
450xmiss
365x7

PecDec (paused reps)
90x10
120x10
150x10
180x10

R/C stuff

A few guys tried benching with this piece of foam we have at the gym last week. So I thought this would be an interesting thing to try and it wouldn't feel too bad to bench with since my shoulders were sore. I might be able to get the 450 on a better day, but considering I'm not good at lockout work and bring it down too slow to take advantage of bouncing it, a pretty easy 435 still wasn't bad.

April Mathis
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Here's a video my training partner Glenn taped of one of the sets. I'm not sure why he still can't spell my name right.

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5709

NickAus
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Hope your ok, sounds nasty.

mastermonster
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident April. Thank God you weren't hurt worse! Take care and heal up quick!

Brian Hopper
01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Sucks to hear about the accident, im glad to hear your ok.

GazzyG
01-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Sorry about the car accident, April! They always shake you up, even if you're not hurt.

April Mathis
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, thanks. Not training today. Need a few days off. Also don't have anything to drive so I can only get a ride 2 days each week right now. I can take a bus and walk otherwise, but I need a little time off anyways the next week. After that I might. Sunday I will just do a little assistance stuff. My back is still really sore and my knees also from the accident so I'm not gonna squat or deadlift. I wasn't planning to anyways this week.

April Mathis
01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
01/16/2012 Deload Week - Assistance Work

Lat Pulldowns behind head
100x10x3sets

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
150x10
180x10
200x10

High Cable Rows (paused reps)
100x10x3sets

Seated Shrug Machine
225x20x3sets

EZ Bar Curls
70x8
120x8
170x6x2sets
Drop Set: 120x10/ 70x10

Weighted Decline Situps (weight at arms' reach above head)
BW+25x10
BW+35x8x2sets

Light day. I will do a bunch of different assistance stuff on one day later this week. Taking the rest of the week off otherwise.

April Mathis
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
01/19/2012 Deload Week - Assistance Work

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press (starting from shoulders)
barxsome
95x8
135x8
185x8
225x4
245x2

Flat DB Press
40sx50x2sets

Face Pulls
75x15x3sets each side

Rope Triceps Pushdowns
60x15x4sets

R/C- 4sets

First time in a long time doing some shoulder pressing with a bar. It went ok. At least it didn't hurt since I didn't bench this week. That's it till Sunday. Thinking about doing something heavy between 500-600 straight weight for reps on squats.

GazzyG
01-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing the squats.

How you feeling after the crash now?

April Mathis
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing the squats.

How you feeling after the crash now?

Ok. Needed a week off/light anyways. I'll probably start training now this next week for the meet I want to do in 12 weeks from this Saturday.

Brian Hopper
01-19-2012, 05:41 PM
What meet are you doing?

April Mathis
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM
What meet are you doing?

I want to do the women's pro-am in Cincinnati being held by Laura Phelps.

Brian Hopper
01-19-2012, 06:10 PM
That's cool.

NickAus
01-20-2012, 12:35 AM
April, you mentioned you did not really have a spare $15-$20 to spend on petrol to get to your next meet.....

I would really like you to write me up how you built your rows up so heavy and a general program to follow to get my piss poor rows up where they should be.
Any tips included would be great.

Please let me know if you could do that and ill pay you to paypal.

Thank you.

NickAus
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM
BTW I have a day dedicated to upper back.

mastermonster
01-20-2012, 11:46 AM
April, haven't found lead on a truck yet. Tim said they don't keep and deal their trade ins. Have you found anything yet? I'll keep an ear out if you haven't.

April Mathis
01-20-2012, 12:46 PM
April, you mentioned you did not really have a spare $15-$20 to spend on petrol to get to your next meet.....

I would really like you to write me up how you built your rows up so heavy and a general program to follow to get my piss poor rows up where they should be.
Any tips included would be great.

Please let me know if you could do that and ill pay you to paypal.

Thank you.

I was talking about going to train with Buddy. My next meet will cost at least $200 in fuel to go to, lol. That's why I'm not sure if I will be able to go by then, even though I want to. It is in Cincinnati, Ohio. I live in Kennesaw, Georgia. If you look on a map you can see how far that is.

I can do that though. Give me a day or 2.

April Mathis
01-20-2012, 12:49 PM
April, haven't found lead on a truck yet. Tim said they don't keep and deal their trade ins. Have you found anything yet? I'll keep an ear out if you haven't.

Yeah I did. I actually put a down payment on a truck yesterday. Although I have to pay it off before I can drive it, which sucks I don't have anything to drive for at least another week.

NickAus
01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Ok great.

April Mathis
01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Ok great.

I actually will finish that for you tomorrow evening. It takes me a while to look back through stuff and everything.

April Mathis
01-22-2012, 05:42 PM
01/22/2012 Heavy Squat

Squat
barxsome
145x5
235x3
325x3
415x3 loose belt
505x3
555x3 tighter belt/loose knee wraps
325x10 no belt or wraps

Leg Press (paused reps)
315x15
405x15
495x15

Weighted Decline Situps (weight behind head)
BW+25x8,7,6

Hip Abductors/Adductors
Large mini bandx15x2sets each per side

I was thinking of either doing 5s or going up another 50lbs. for 3s on the squats, but it felt kind of heavy and not great today, so I thought 555 was a good place to stop. I probably should have picked a bit heavier down set because 10 reps was way too easy with 325. This was a good place to start training for the meet though.

Brian Hopper
01-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Good start April!!!

April Mathis
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
01/26/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x5
275x5
315x5
365x3
1-board
385x2 paused
2-board
405x2 paused
3-board
425x2 paused
full-range drop set
315x8/225x6/135x8

Rope Triceps Pushdowns
60x12x3sets

PecDec (paused reps)
90x10
120x10
150x8

Everything felt good. Didn't go super heavy. Could have done another rep or 2 on all the heavy sets, but wanted to get more work in today instead so I wouldn't burn out with 365 or 385 before finishing. The good thing about after a week off of benching my shoulders don't hurt, although I'm sure it won't be the same by next week again.

Brian Hopper
01-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Solid bench training!!!

April Mathis
01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks Brian.

01/27/2012 Back/Biceps (light day)

100x10x4sets

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
150x10x4sets

Straight-arm Pulldowns
50x10x4sets

DB Concentration Curls
30x10x5sets each arm

Rear Delt Band Pullaparts
Mini bandx20x5sets

Just an easy day. I think I may be training 2-3 days a week for awhile soon. I'm going to have some more work to do if things work out. I'm probably gonna start doing my back work on Tuesday instead. I may lift twice - once in the late morning and once in the evening - on days I do train though.

NickAus
01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Training is looking good April!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out the upper back work for me, looking forward to reading up.

My personal email is brownsonnick@yahoo.com.au

Thanks again!!

April Mathis
01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Training is looking good April!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out the upper back work for me, looking forward to reading up.

My personal email is brownsonnick@yahoo.com.au

Thanks again!!

I sent you a email.

April Mathis
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
01/29/2012 Light Squat/ Heavy Deadlift

Squat (all sets no belt and deep)
barxsome
145x5
235x5
325x5
375x5x3sets

Deadlift w/Trap Bar
250x3
450x2
540x2 PR loose belt
630xmiss twice
630x1 PR by 20lbs.

Abs on lat pulldown
80x15
100x15
120x15
140x15

Hip Abductors/Adductors
Big mini bandx15x2sets each per side

Side Bends
95x10x3sets each side

Good day. The misses with the trap bar were due to technique. The bar kept pulling me forward on my toes. The last set I moved my grip forward on the bar and my feet forward and that made the difference. Probably still would not have had 5lbs. more than this either way. It was definitely a max rep.

Brian Hopper
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Nice pulling! How do you like using the trap bar? I've done farmer deads before with Weech and they are similar. They messed my shoulder up a little.

April Mathis
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Nice pulling! How do you like using the trap bar? I've done farmer deads before with Weech and they are similar. They messed my shoulder up a little.

Thanks. I like it because I can pull more, lol. I would never do them heavy for reps though. Every rep feels like it sucks and unlike a regular deadlift it is hard to start the lift, so it always feels like a slow grinding lift. I've tried a deadlift with some type of farmers implement before and those are extremely easy compared to a trap bar.

Also, you have to use at least one or two 100lbs. plates on each side. Otherwise you will run out of space on the bar. And grabbing the bar close to the front and standing forward of the middle seems to be better at least for me. It made a difference enough to finish the last rep that was otherwise 10-15lbs. off. One of my training partners said it can make a 50lbs. difference for him if he stands and holds it right from the start compared to otherwise. I think because the weight likes to shift too far forward otherwise.

April Mathis
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
01/30/2012 Triceps/ Shoulders

Modified Triceps Press
barxsome
95x15
135x15
185x10x2sets

Shoulder Press on Machine
120x10x2sets
150x10x2sets

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Blue Bandx20x5sets

DB Side Raises
20sx10x2sets

DB Front Raises
20sx10x2sets

Reverse PecDec
60x10x3sets each side

Just a light assistance day today.

April Mathis
02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
02/02/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x5
Add carpet (all paused reps)
275x5
315x5
365x6 PR easy
385x3 PR - basically full-range (my training partner held it backwards and the end I pressed on is 1/4" or less thick)
405x1 burnt out from the set before
315x7

Flat DB Flyes (paused at bottom)
30sx8
45sx8
60sx8
75sx8

Rope Triceps Pushdowns
60x15x4sets

Shoulder Horn
10sx15x3sets

I felt strong benching today. 365x6 was easy. I was planning on a few sets moderate weight. I was pissed off at one of my training partners holding the carpet the wrong way on the 385. I stopped after each rep and said turn it around but he never listened, so it ended up being basically 3 paused reps full-range, as there is no padding on that side and not more than 1/4 thick of the thin carpet part that sticks out. Since I have not yet done 385x3 before full-range, it was actually a good bench. However, I was planning on hitting 4-5 reps otherwise and doing a triple with 405. But it took too much energy on this lift and also I was using this today so my shoulders would continue to feel better instead of heavy full-range again, so I was not happy with that part.

Brian Hopper
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Great job on the PR's, sucks about the partner. Either way, still some impressive benching. Was it Glenn? lol

April Mathis
02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Great job on the PR's, sucks about the partner. Either way, still some impressive benching. Was it Glenn? lol

LOL. No. Glenn handed off for me. Funny you assume it's Glenn though. If the guy holding it wasn't 75 and probably didn't hear me, meaning anyone else there I would have yelled at for awhile.

NickAus
02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Great bench work!!

mastermonster
02-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Strong benching April!

April Mathis
02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
02/03/2012 Back/Biceps

Hammer Strength 1-Arm Rows (each arm; paused reps)
45x10x2sets
70x10x2sets
90x10
115x10

Shrug Machine (paused reps, supersetted with the rows above)
135x10x2sets
225x10x2sets
315x10x2sets

Pullups
BWx8,6 Neutral grip
BWx5,4 Overhand grip

Straight-arm Lat Pulldowns
50x10x2sets
60x8x2sets

DB Concentration Curls (each arm)
30x10
40x10
50x10
60x8
20x50 rest pause set

Lighter day. Just did a lot of volume. I think next week I will likely be switching to 3 days per week on most weeks until the meet. So I will do some heavy back work Tuesday then.

April Mathis
02-05-2012, 04:42 PM
02/05/2012 Heavy Squat

Squat
barxsome
145x5
235x3
325x3
415x2 loose belt
465+60lbs. chainx1
505+100lbs. chainx1 loose belt/loose wraps
555+100lbs. chainx1 tighter belt/tight wraps

Giant Sets- Squat (no belt or wraps)/Leg Press/Leg Extensions
325x10/585x15/45x15
325x10/585x15/45x15

Squat went ok. Didn't feel great today, but still not bad. Top set of 555+100lbs. chain was hard today. However, it was all the way down well below parallel and very close to straight weight the way we had it set up (probably 615-625 at the bottom and 655 at the top). I would like to open around 640-650, so doing basically an opener weight 10 weeks out is not bad. Less weight and more chain is definitely a lot easier to load up on weight at the lockout, but I think it is better now to stay closer to straight weight until the meet.

Brian Hopper
02-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Some strong squats!!!

April Mathis
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks Brian.

02/06/2012 Bench Lockout/Triceps/Shoulders

Close-grip Bench Press
barxsome
Add 4-board
135x10
225x10
315x10
405x7 PR

Shoulder Press on machine
120x15x4sets

Reverse PecDec
75x10x4sets each arm

PecDec
75x20x3sets

Bunch of rotator stuff and shoulder stretching

So I decided I would still keep 4 day training schedule the next few weeks. I want to try to do some lockout work like this for about 3 weeks while doing more reps and not as heavy weight on my regular bench days. I stopped at least a rep or two short of failure with 405, and will continue to do the same the next few weeks. It may still be too much for my shoulder. I will see on Thursday. The good part though is this is the best my lockout has ever been.

April Mathis
02-09-2012, 04:29 PM
02/09/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
Add big red mini band (all reps paused)
225x3
275x3x3sets
295x3
315x2

Flat DB Press
140sx6,7,6

Triceps Pushdowns
Green Bandx30x4sets

PecDec (paused reps)
120x10x3sets

Everything felt pretty good. Shoulders were still sore from Monday, but not that bad. I hope to still do this along with lockout work on Mondays for 2 more weeks. The band I used is about halfway between a regular mini band and a purple band. It was stretched under the crossbar at the bottom below the bench. I think it is somewhere close to the equivalent of 80-100lbs. at the top.

April Mathis
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Glenn took video of my last set:
http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5758

April Mathis
02-10-2012, 06:38 PM
02/10/2012 Back/Biceps (light day)

100x10x2sets
120x10x2sets

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
160x8x4sets

Bodyweight Rows (paused reps)
BWx8x4sets

Curls w/Green Band superset w/KB Curls
Bandx15/26sx10 - 3sets of each

Also did a lot of shoulder stretching and stuff to help recovery

I'm gonna pull heavy Sunday, so this was enough today. I think I might do some heavy shrugs after pulling.

mastermonster
02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Great work and great benching April! They looked too easy on the vid! P.S. Who stole Glenn's bench belly! LOL!

NickAus
02-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Looking good!!

Brian Hopper
02-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Looked strong April!!!

-JM-
02-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Mind-blowing stuff, April. Truly inspiring.

April Mathis
02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks.

Buddy I said it was easy that day, lol. Glenn decided he wanted to be 220/242 again for some reason.

02/12/2012 Light Squat/Heavy Deadlift

Squat w/Black Cambered Bar
barxsome
150x3
240x3
330x3
380x3 loose belt
420x3
470x3 PR just because it's the heaviest I've tried with this bar

Rack Pulls (from top of knees)
245x3
445x3
535x3
625x3 PR
695x1 PR by 35lbs.

Pullthroughs w/sled+90lbs.
5 sets of 10

Abs on lat pulldown
100x15x4sets

Felt strong on everything today. I decided to squat with the bar from hell again. I don't know why I wanted to really but sets of 3 on it are definitely a lot less painful than sets of 5, so I went a little heavier. 470 was a moderate triple though, so a little more than just light today. Rack pulls were very good. Big pr with 695, although I would have put 700 had I bothered to add the plates first. The pullthroughs were extremely awkward. I've never tried them before and Jon wanted to do them so I did, but I'm pretty sure I never did them right the entire time.

Brian Hopper
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Good job on the PR's April!!!

April Mathis
02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks Brian.

02/13/2012 Bench Lockout/Triceps/Shoulders

Close-grip Bench Press
barxsome
Add 3-board
135x10
225x8
315x8
405x3x2sets PR easy

120x15x4sets

Triceps Pushdowns
Blue bandx20x5sets

PecDec
60x20x3sets

Rear Delt Band Pullaparts
Mini bandx15x4sets

Rotator stuff

Good day. Shoulders didn't feel too bad after warming up. I think some of the recovery stuff after my last bench day helped. Hope it feels the same this next week so I can do some lockout stuff one more week. Then I will definitely only be benching once per week the last 5 weeks before the meet. I'm actually very happy my close-grip benching has been this good. I have always really sucked at it. As recent as less than a year ago 275 for a few reps full-range was difficult, and now I'm pretty sure I could hit 405 for a single full-range, as I could have done another rep on each set of 405 tonight.

April Mathis
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
02/16/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barsome
135x8
Add purple band (all reps paused)
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3x2sets
295x3
315x3 PR fairly easy

Flat DB Press
60sx25x3sets

Triceps Pushdowns
60x20x3sets

PecDec (paused reps)
120x12x3sets

Shoulder Horn
10sx12x3sets slow

some other shoulder stretching and stuff

Good day. Used a larger band than last time. I guess this one is supposed to be something like the equivalent of 100-120lbs. at the top. It did feel about that. Shoulder did hurt a lot today though. I think I'm done with the close-grip benching on Mondays and not going to do it the last week. I'll just wait till Thursday and try to hit these same weights or more with the green band next time.

April Mathis
02-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Video of 315x3 against purple band. Glenn still cannot spell my name right after the 3rd time I told him last week.

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5772

Brian Hopper
02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Strong benching April!!! Your shoulder pain is probably coming from the band tension.

April Mathis
02-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Strong benching April!!! Your shoulder pain is probably coming from the band tension.

No..it's from benching 2x per week. My right shoulder is fucked up and doesn't recover enough to do that well. I know this by now. I've tried it before. I was only planning to do it for a few weeks while not benching too heavy with the bands. I'd rather just not do the close-grips next week and bench heavier with the bands instead for the last week before a week off. The bands actually hurt less than straight weight would today for sure.

Brian Hopper
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Makes sense, I didn't even realize you were benching 2x a week. I have been doing the same, and today I think showed that I need to back off, lol.

April Mathis
02-17-2012, 08:16 PM
02/17/2012 Back/Biceps

Hammer Strength Rows (each arm)
45x10x2sets
90x8
135x5
180x5x2sets

Lat Pulldowns (wide neutral grip)
100x8
140x8
180x8
220x8
260x6

Shrug machine
225x20x5sets

DB Preacher Curls (each arm)
20x8
30x8
40x8
50x8

Roll on PVC pipe and some shoulder stretching

I wanted to do heavy barbell rows and shrugs today, but my back is aggravated pretty bad this week and I still want to try to squat heavy in 2 days, so I just went heavier on some of the machine stuff instead.

April Mathis
02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
02/19/2012 Heavy Squat

Squat
barxsome
Add purple bands
145x3
235x2
325x2
415x1 loose belt
465x1

Remove purple bands/Add green bands
505x1 loose belt/loose knee wraps

Remove green bands/Add blue bands
535x1 PR loose belt/tight knee wraps

Remove bands - straight weight
415x1 loose belt
505x1
595x1 loose belt/loose knee wraps

Abs on lat pulldown
100x15x4sets

Squats went good today. The 535 w/blue bands was heavy, but a good pr. 595 straight weight felt easy even after the heavy sets w/bands.

Brian Hopper
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Killing it on the volume, nice squatting April!!!

April Mathis
02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Brian. The extra straight weight sets were Jon's idea, not mine, lol.

02/20/2012 Triceps/Shoulders (light day)

60x10x2sets
90x10
120x10
150x10
180x10

Lying DB Triceps Extensions (each arm)
20x10
30x8
40x8
50x8x2sets

Triceps Pushdowns superset w/Overhead Extensions
Green Bandx30/Green Bandx20x3sets of each

Reverse PecDec
60x15x4sets each side

Some rotator stuff

Real easy day. Let my shoulders recover some for heavier benching later this week.

April Mathis
02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
535+blue bands squat from yesterday (belt and knee wraps):

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5779

thecityalive
02-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Wait can't tell what is going on here, is that resistance or assistance? Perhaps the monolift is obstructing my view. Regardless...INTENSE! (Thanks for all the help you have given me, I can't thank you enough, April.)

mastermonster
02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Great training April! I'll watch the vid when I get home. Can't view them here. Looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks!

April Mathis
02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Wait can't tell what is going on here, is that resistance or assistance? Perhaps the monolift is obstructing my view. Regardless...INTENSE! (Thanks for all the help you have given me, I can't thank you enough, April.)

Yeah..not my fault, seems like anyone that has a camera at my gym can't take a decent video, lol.

See where there's 3 plates then a break in the plates, the bands are around there and choked around the bottom of the monolift (which you can't see except a tiny bit the last second of the video) because the stands for the monolift are in the way. So, it's against bands. It's something like mid-high 700s at the top.

April Mathis
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Great training April! I'll watch the vid when I get home. Can't view them here. Looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks!

Thanks. I will be there.

Brian Hopper
02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Strong squat April, is your stance always that close?

NickAus
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Damn fine work April!!

April Mathis
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Strong squat April, is your stance always that close?

Thanks. I don't think my stance is very close. It's always pretty much the same, not real wide or close. I think it looks closer because you can't see my feet because it's zoomed in too much, but my feet are a little more than shoulder width.

Damn fine work April!!

Thanks.

April Mathis
02-23-2012, 03:31 PM
02/23/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
Add green band (new one)/ paused reps
135x3
185x3
225x1
275x1
295x1 PR

2-Board (no band)/ paused reps
315x5
365x5
405x2 tired

Skullcrushers
barx8
70x8
120x6x3sets

PecDec (paused reps)
120x10x4sets

Shoulder Horn
10sx12x3sets

Rotator stuff

Benching was good. A lot of tension with that green band. I purposely used one that is almost new, and that's a big difference compared to the worn ones, lol. I guess the top is supposed to be around the equivalent of an additional 140-150lbs. It did feel like that, since even 405 straight weight after felt significantly lighter to hold. 295 with the band was hard enough that I know 315 would not have went. I probably had another 5lbs., 10lbs. at most as an actual max.

April Mathis
02-24-2012, 11:10 PM
02/24/2012 Back/Biceps (light day)

100x10x4sets paused reps

Lat Pulldowns wide grip
160x10
180x10
200x10x2sets

Straight-arm Pulldowns
50x10x4sets

20x10
30x10
40x10
50x10

That's all. Heavy pulling Sunday.

Brian Hopper
02-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Good job on that bench PR!!!

April Mathis
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
02/26/2012 Light Squat/ Heavy Deadlift

Squat w/Buffalo Bar
barxsome
Add parallel box/paused reps
145x3
235x3
325x3x4sets loose belt

Deadlift against purple bands
135x3
225x1
315x1
405x1x2sets loose belt

Decline Situps
BWx10x5sets

Calf Raises
150x20x3sets

My back has been aggravated a lot this week. It hurt bad squatting with just the bar, so I went lighter than usual today. It felt a little better by the 3rd and 4th set with 325. I wanted to go heavier on the deadlift, but I knew better today. 405 plus the bands for 2 singles is still about 550 at the top, so it was ok for today.

thecityalive
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Still an overall good day, right? I feel like sometimes you have those days where a certain weight is enough. Definitely something everyone can relate to. Solid work, April.

mastermonster
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Great work April! Congrats on your BP PR!!!

April Mathis
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Still an overall good day, right? I feel like sometimes you have those days where a certain weight is enough. Definitely something everyone can relate to. Solid work, April.

It just ended up being a lighter day than otherwise. No big deal. I know not to make it worse so I can squat heavy next week, lol.

Great work April! Congrats on your BP PR!!!

Thanks. Bench has been good lately. I'm hoping doing the board work and the bands the last few weeks will translate into something good straight weight. I'm taking this week off benching and doing some shoulder press instead to give my shoulders a break for a week.

April Mathis
02-27-2012, 09:23 PM
02/27/2012 Triceps/Biceps

Triceps Pushdowns on lat pulldown
60x10x2sets
80x10
100x10
120x6

DB Curls
20sx8
30sx8
40sx8
50sx8

KB Triceps Extensions (each arm)
18x8
32x8x3sets

30x8
40x8
50x8
60x4

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Green bandx30x4sets

Cable Curls with rope
60x10x4sets

Rotator stuff

Yes I did a day of just arms, lol. I'm gonna shoulder press on Thursday and take the week off benching and since I'm giving my shoulders a break this week I didn't want to do any other pressing today.

April Mathis
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
03/01/2012 Bench Deload/Shoulders

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press (starting from bottom)
barxsome
95x8
135x8
185x6
225x6
255x1

Flat DB Press
60sx20x3sets

Plate Raise
45x12x3sets

Flat DB Flyes (slow reps)
25sx15x3sets

That's all today. Back to heavy benching next week.

April Mathis
03-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Took Friday off, because I helped apot and load and handoff at the gym meet we had on Saturday. I got arrested on Sunday for stupid traffic bs. So I had to squat today.

03/05/2012 Heavy Squat

Squat w/Safety Squat Bar (with handles; walked out in power rack)
barxsome
155x5
245x3
335x3
425x3 loose belt
515x3
605x3 loose belt/loose wraps PR
695x2 tighter belt/tighter wraps PR

Standing Leg Curls
3sets of 12 each side

Had to get a ride home so that's all I had time for. Squat was very good today. All reps were very deep too. Only bad part something popped on the side of my right shoulder on the 2nd rep of 695. Hurts pretty bad still, but it probably won't be that big of a deal.

Brian Hopper
03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your traffic incident, but you still got some PR's...lol!!!!

April Mathis
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks Brian. Yeah and it was a big PR. I only did 565x3 last time with loose wraps, and I know I wouldn't have got more than 6 plates per side for a few if I had put tighter wraps on then. This time did 7 plates per side. It was hard, but went good. Shoulder still hurts a lot today though, which sucks.

Brian Hopper
03-07-2012, 04:53 AM
That sucks about your shoulder. Is there any bruising?

April Mathis
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
That sucks about your shoulder. Is there any bruising?

No, it's geting better. Still hurts but not as bad as the last 2 days.

April Mathis
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
03/08/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
Add foam
135x5
225x5
315x3
365x3
405x3

Flat DB Press
55sx20x3sets

That's all today. Shoulder still hurt a lot benching. Everything still felt pretty easy and actually was a little better after warming up. Hard to touch my chest with the bar at first, so that's was a good reason not to bench full range. Should be better in the next week or 2 though.

Brian Hopper
03-08-2012, 01:17 PM
No, it's geting better. Still hurts but not as bad as the last 2 days.

That's good to hear.

GazzyG
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Good work on the PRs, but sorry to hear about the shoulder. Hope it heals up quick for you!

April Mathis
03-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks Gazzy.

03/11/2012 Squat (should be deadlift this week, but no pulling due to shoulder injury)

Squat w/Cambered Bar (new one)
barxsome
155x3
245x3
335x3
425x1 loose belt
515x1
565x1 easy PR tighter belt/loose wraps

Band Leg Curls
Green bandx20x3sets

Band Abductors/Adductors
Big Red Mini bandx15x3sets each per side

Decline Situps
BWx20x3sets

I couldn't get my right arm back far enough to get under a regular squat bar, so my only options today were the cambered bar or safety squat bar again. So I chose the cambered bar. Dave made a new one for the gym. Actually even though I don't really like the other one, I think I like it better than this one. This one still hurts just as bad and is too smooth so it feels like it's going to slide easy on your back. It might be a little better if someone puts tape on it. It may have also wanted to slide more because I could only get two fingers barely on the bar on the right side and I think I leaned forward even more than usual so it wouldn't slide. Other than that everything was easy. I could have went to 605 no problem, but I thought it was a better idea to stop as my shoulder was really hurting by then after getting under the bar about 20 times (most of which were just attempts to be able to hold the bar before I even squatted). Also, it's not really my heavy squat week.

NickAus
03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Hope you heal up real quick!!!!!

April Mathis
03-13-2012, 04:42 PM
It's getting a little better everyday. I think it won't be bad at all by the time I bench and squat later this week.

03/13/2012 Back/Biceps (light day)

Shrug Machine
225x10x5sets

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
100x15x4sets

Hammer Strength Row Machine
45x15x4sets each side

DB Concentration Curls
30x10x4sets each arm

Abs-3sets at bw

Had to stay real light today because of the shoulder still. At least I did something though. Reps on everything were slow and paused to at least make it a little harder. Range of motion is getting better too slowly. I would not have been able to do lat pulldowns at all or even grab the bar above my head a few days ago.

GazzyG
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Very strong squatting, April. Good stuff working round the injury.

Glad the shoulder's healing up.

April Mathis
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Very strong squatting, April. Good stuff working round the injury.

Glad the shoulder's healing up.

Thanks. And I didn't go heavy on the squat, lol.

NickAus
03-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Glad to read of the improvements!!

April Mathis
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
03/15/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
Add carpet/all reps paused
275x3
315x3
365x3
395x3 PR easy
415x2 PR

Down set with slingshot/full-range
315x17

Rope Triceps Pushdowns
60x15x4sets

PecDec (paused reps)
60x25x2sets

Benching went great today. PR for triple and double on the carpet press and my shoulder is feeling quite abit better. Only hurt a little bit benching and didn't feel like it affected my strength at all like last week. I wanted to get 315 for 20 with the slingshot. Next time I try it I will. I have to remember to breathe when doing high reps like that. It felt like I ran out of air more than strength at the end because it was still moving pretty good. Had to keep the assistance light still and be careful on the range of motion, but I think I should have an easier time getting under a bar to squat this weekend.

Brian Hopper
03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Good job with the PR!!! Glad to see the shoulder is feeling a little better.

thecityalive
03-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah...breathing is important :D

I've been considering a slingshot...yay/nay?

April Mathis
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Good job with the PR!!! Glad to see the shoulder is feeling a little better.

Thanks. Me too. I knew it wasn't bad but takes a few weeks.

Yeah...breathing is important :D

I've been considering a slingshot...yay/nay?

I like the slingshot. I use it every so often. I just did the high reps set for fun today. Usually I use it to go a little heavier than what I could do otherwise or if my shoulders are sore and still want to bench full-range it helps. And it helps some to overload lockout. I guess it would be comparable to a blast shirt but easier and more comfortable to put on. I have the original red one, which is the first one they made. I get about 30lbs. out of it. I think that is about perfect as far as raw benching. Some of the newer ones I know people can get 100lbs. or more out of it. But it is so far over what you can bench without it, I don't know if it would be as useful. If anything, it would probably be more like a shirt then but easier to touch. Although I may get one of those sometime just to see.

The only time I used it a lot for a good period of time was before one meet I did, at least 2 weeks out of 3 I put it on for 1 or 2 sets after my last heavy raw set to get used to heavier weight and hit lockout more (which is my weakness) for the whole training cycle. I think it was useful, and did exactly that. Will it make your regular raw bench go up 50lbs. just using it for awhile, probably not. But I still recommend it as a useful training tool.

April Mathis
03-18-2012, 11:59 AM
03/18/2012 Heavy Squat/Light Deadlift

Squat w/Cambered Bar (newer one)
barxsome
155x3
245x3
335x2
425x2 loose belt
515x1
585x1 loose belt/loose wraps PR
615x1 tighter belt/tighter wraps PR

Sumo Deadlift (no belt on all sets)
225x3x2sets
315x3
375x1

Abs on lat pulldown
100x15
120x10x3sets

Used the same bar as last week. Jon and a few other people were using it too, and I still can't get my right arm under a regular bar, so this was fine. Shoulder still hurt getting under this bar too, but I could get my whole hand on the bar this week instead of just 2 fingers, and actually hold the cambered part instead of just barely touching the collar. Squats all felt good. I think I went a little too light on the last set. Should have gone up another 20lbs. or so. 615 wasn't really easy, but definitely not a max rep. I know 700+ is there on a regular bar. I just wanted to pull light after, since I haven't pulled in several weeks. My shoulder didn't hurt at all pulling, which is good. Sumo sucks though. Still hate it and always will. 375 was hard, lol.

April Mathis
03-20-2012, 06:24 PM
03/20/2012 Back/Biceps

Barbell Rows
135x8
225x5
315x5
365x5
415x5

Shrug Machine (paused reps)
275x10x5sets

Lat Pulldowns wide-neutral grip
150x10x5sets

30x8
40x8
50x8
60x8

Everything felt good today. Shoulder is continuing to get better. Still hurt some with 365 and 415 on rows so stopped there today, and a little on the shrugs and pulldowns, so I still kept those lighter. Curls felt real easy. I had to get a ride home otherwise I think I would have tried 1 more set of 70s for 8 or more.

April Mathis
03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
03/22/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8x2sets
225x8
275x8
335x7 PR stopped 1 short of failure
355x4
315x6
275x7
225x10

Elbows out bench to chin height
135x8x2sets

This was just for fun since Jon has been doing these since a shoulder injury. I just wanted to see how awkward it was.

PecDec (slow, paused reps)
90x10x3sets

Triceps Pushdowns
Green bandx20x5sets

Just did a lot of reps today. Felt good. I wanted to go up a little more after the 335, because 8 definitely would have been to failure. Still the most reps I've done with 335, since usually my reps suck above 315, so that was good.

Brian Hopper
03-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Good job on the PR April!!!

April Mathis
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks Brian.

Video of my 615 raw squat last week with cambered bar:

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5816

GazzyG
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Strong squatting and benching. That cameraphone from the 1800's?

Also, can't wait till I bench 225 for 1, let alone ten reps as a warmdown set lol!

Brian Hopper
03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
That looked pretty easy!!!

April Mathis
03-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Strong squatting and benching. That cameraphone from the 1800's?

Also, can't wait till I bench 225 for 1, let alone ten reps as a warmdown set lol!

Lol. It's one of my training partner's phones. Sometimes it tapes better, so I'm not sure if it was just on the wrong setting or what. And the reps sucked by the time I got to 225. Usually I would get at least 20 after going heavy. But that was a lot of reps before. Really sore today though, lol.

That looked pretty easy!!!

Thanks, I told you it was. When I said I should have went 635 at least I meant it. It would also be nice if I found someone that knows how to use a camera and actually show the plates sometime, but that might be too much to ask.

April Mathis
03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
03/25/2012 Heavy Squat

Squat
barxsome
165x3
275x2
385xunracked it and put it back- shoulder hurt too bad

I could barely get 1-2 fingers on my right hand on the squat bar today (which actually is a big improvement), but it was still way too painful to squat with more than a couple plates. The bar was sitting right on the area of my shoulder that's injured too, so any weight made it much worse, and I could not get it in the right position on my back to be comfortable to squat heavy with. So I had to switch bars.

Squat w/Cambered bar (black one) in power rack; walked out
barx3 felt much better on shoulder
245x2
335x1
425x1 loose belt
515x1 PR
565x1 loose belt/loose wraps PR
605x1 tighter belt/tight wraps PR
335x8 loose belt

Standing Leg Curls
30x12x3sets each leg

Calf Raises
225x20x3sets

Walking out with this bar was a horrible experience. Not only do I hate walking out and it's very awkward, but this bar swings back and forward while walking out. But since both of the monolifts were being used with regular squat bars on them, this was the only choice I had to squat today. 605 was still not bad, but I definitely did not feel like going any heavier and walking out again. And after using the other cambered bar and trying this one again, this one is definitely worse to squat with. But these are PRs for this bar, so not a bad day. I'm probably going to back off and not squat at all next week and just pull since I have squatted heavy 3 of the last 4 weeks, and even the other time was moderately heavy. I was going to pull light after squatting today, but I had to get a ride and didn't have time so only did a couple quick assistance things with the weight that was on there.

Brian Hopper
03-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Strong PR's considering the circumstances. How far out are you from your meet?

April Mathis
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Strong PR's considering the circumstances. How far out are you from your meet?

Thanks, I seriously hate that bar. I would have used the other one again, but it doesn't fit in the power rack. I don't know what I'm doing right now. I can't do the one in 3 weeks. I have to go to court a couple days before for the traffic shit, since they moved the date. And I don't think I'll be able to get under a regular squat bar with 700+lbs. by then. My shoulder hurts more again after trying today, so I don't think I will try again for another 3-4 weeks at least.

April Mathis
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Video of me benching from a couple weeks ago. 315x17 with slingshot after going heavy. Sorry no one recorded the heavy sets.

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5819/april-mathis-slingshot-bench-315x17

April Mathis
03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
03/27/2012 Back/Biceps

Lat Pulldowns wide neutral-grip
150x10x3sets

Standing Cable Rows (paused reps)
100x10x3sets

20x10
30x8
40x8
50x8
60x8
70x8

Shrug Machine
275x20x3sets

That's all today. Shoulder hurts quite a bit more again after attempting to squat with a regular bar on Sunday. Lower back feels fucked up too. Too many weeks in a row of heavy squatting with bars that cause extra back pain, lol.

thecityalive
03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
How much carry over do you feel shrugs contributes to your big3? Been considering implementing them back into my training. Always good to see some videos. Glad this one contains no puke hehe.

April Mathis
03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Rob - I don't know. I don't think shrugs do much for big 3. I haven't really been doing them heavy at all lately. Someone usually leaves somewhere between 2-3 plates on each side of the shrug machine thing, and I just did that the last few times. I do like doing them heavy more often usually like every 2-3 weeks. Just trying to not aggravate my shoulder more right now.

But bigger traps mean a better setup for benching and squatting. That's what I think it does. And I just like doing extra bodybuilding type movements, because I think it's important to try to keep muscle groups more balanced to avoid injuries and stuff like that. And being big AND strong goes together better than just one or the other.

April Mathis
03-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Anyways, definitely cannot compete in 2 and a half weeks like I had been planning too a little while ago. I have other problems in life right now with financial issues and going to court right before this meet. Also my shoulder still hurts too bad to squat with a regular bar, and I highly doubt I will be able to squat heavy with one in less than 3 weeks, so that leaves no reason in my view to compete in a full-power meet regardless. So I'm thinking of doing a meet in a couple months instead, sometime between June and August.

Here are the meets I am considering (due to they use monolifts and have knee wraps on the squat for raw):

June

APC nationals
SPF nationals

They are both the same weekend, so I could choose between them. The APC one is about 45mins. to an hour away, and the SPF I think is 2 or 3 hours. I'm not sure if you have to qualify in advance. I know the people who run the APC so that won't be an issue for that one, but not sure about the SPF one. The APC one always uses some red monolifts I don't really like, but I've used some shitty ones at meets before, and it's never really been an issue.

August

SPF raw pro-am

Instead of doing the pro-am in a couple weeks, this is the next one I could do instead. Or I could do this and one of the other meets above. I know there's some prize money that would likely pay for the trip if I win, but not sure what it is yet or how the formula will be done. I believe it is also a few hour drive. I think it is in South Carolina but don't remember for sure.

These are the only ones I know close by in the next few months that allow knee wraps and monolift. If anyone knows of something else that would be good, let me know. But one of my main goals for the meet is squatting over 700 raw with wraps. I wouldn't necessarily be against walking out again in the future, but I don't want to have to worry about it the first time.

All my goals are still 700+ squat, 440 bench, 600+ deadlift, 1750+ raw total. I may try to put on some bodyweight by the time the second one is, if I happen to do that one.

April Mathis
03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
03/29/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
Add 2-board
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x1
425x1
Add slingshot
440x1
460x1

Flat DB Press
60sx30x2sets

Triceps Pushdowns
80x10x4sets

Shoulder was bothering me a lot today again, so I didn't want to go full-range. 2-board was not too bad. 425 was harder than I think it should have been, but I think it was more due to the shoulder issue than anything. Still a good rep though. The slingshot sets were pretty easy, so I'm happy about that.

April Mathis
04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Internet not working at the place I stay. Here is what I did the last week:

04-01-2012

Deadlift
135xsome
225x3
Add newer medium bands
225x1
315x1
405x1 loose belt
425x1
445x1
no belt or bands
405x8

Leg Press 495x15x3sets

Glute ham raises on floor
BWx10x4sets with mini band asst.

Good deadlift for 1st heavy pull in awhile. 405x8 ties my pr for reps without a belt.

04-02-2012

Modified triceps press
barxsome
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x5 PR

Triceps pushdowns
Green bandx30x4sets

Shoulder press machine
90x10x4sets

DB side raises
10sx10x3sets

Reverse pecdec
45x10x3sets per side

Heaviest I've gone on the triceps presses and they were pretty easy. Went real light on shoulders because right shoulder still hurts quite abit.

04/05/2012 Bench

Session 1

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
Add 3-ply blast shirt
3-board
315x3
2-board
365x2
1-board
405x2
full-range
455x1x2sets didn't touch but within 1"
405x1x3sets touched twice after trying different technique

I also dumped it a couple times with 405/455 trying to touch. But at least I touched near the end. Weights were easy just my technique has to be better. A couple people wore this shirt before at 330-360lbs. and I have no idea how they got it on, because the arms were tight and hard to get on me.

Session 2

Bench Press w/Fat Bar
barxsome
150x5
240x5
330x3
Add carpet/paused reps
380x3
400x2 PR
420x1 PR
Full-range
240x20

PecDec (paused reps)
90x10
120x10
150x10

Seated Shrugs
4sets of 10 don't remember weight

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
150x10x2sets
200x10x2sets

Happy with the raw benching. Best I've done with the fat bar.

thecityalive
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
How does the shoulder feel since Monday? I recently put an order in for a slingshot. Should be a nice assistance tool. Pretty stoaked about that.

April Mathis
04-06-2012, 03:34 PM
How does the shoulder feel since Monday? I recently put an order in for a slingshot. Should be a nice assistance tool. Pretty stoaked about that.

Still bothers me. Probably will for a few more weeks at least. I'm not trying to squat with a regular bar for a few more weeks for sure. I also wanted to bench full-range but it was acting up with 330, so I used the carpet thing instead so it is close to full range but hurts a lot less.

Brian Hopper
04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Good job on the PR's!!!

April Mathis
04-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks Brian.

04/08/2012 Heavy Squat/Deadlift

Squat w/Safety Squat Bar (using handles in power rack, walked out)
barxsome
155x3
245x2
335x1
425x1 add loose belt
515x1
605x1 loose belt/loose wraps
715xmiss tighter belt/tigher wraps - bar slid up on my neck near the bottom
715x1 PR good rep and deep

Deadlift from deficit (used 2 small 75lbs. plates and added 35lbs. plates)
195x3
265x2
335x1
405x1
475x1 PR
565xmiss loose belt - only got it up about 3 inches
515x1 PR

I think everything would have felt better and easier had I not spotted and loaded at a meet that was about 9 hours long yesterday. I was told I only had to spot and they had enough people to load plates....well turns out they didn't. I was sore from that before training today, but still had a pretty good day. Only wanted to do singles and didn't feel like doing any other assistance work after this though.

thecityalive
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
You're a pro and also a genetic freak. You SHOULD be deadlifting more than I. LOL.

Powerdawg
04-09-2012, 06:00 AM
April I read above you are looking for meet in the summer in the southeast. Looks as though you want to National level meet, but Jesse and my self are running the SPF GA state meet in Buford on July 28th. At least that an opinion if the other don't work out. Be glad to have you!

Matt Christie

Brian Hopper
04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Strong squats April, that's huge!!!

April Mathis
04-09-2012, 11:53 AM
You're a pro and also a genetic freak. You SHOULD be deadlifting more than I. LOL.

I still do for now. That deficit thing just sucks when you have short arms and already suck at pulling. And I still pulled what you just maxed at and without using a belt after squatting 715...so there, lol.

April I read above you are looking for meet in the summer in the southeast. Looks as though you want to National level meet, but Jesse and my self are running the SPF GA state meet in Buford on July 28th. At least that an opinion if the other don't work out. Be glad to have you!

Matt Christie

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I think I will do the SPF nationals. I guess it's June 16-17 now. A few other people at my gym said they want to go to it too, so that's likely the one I will do.

Strong squats April, that's huge!!!

Thanks Brian. I should mention that this is easier than the regular way of using this bar, otherwise I probably wouldn't be getting much over 550 or so. I will have someone take video sometime and show you what the setup is.

muscle_g
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
April what does your weekly training split look like?

April Mathis
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
April what does your weekly training split look like?

I bench on Thursday, and Squat and/or Deadlift on Sunday. Usually one week is a heavy squat (and sometimes light deadlift) and the next week a light squat and heavy deadlift, but sometimes I do both heavy or both light or sometimes I just feel like squatting for several weeks and not pulling (lol). Then I do assistance stuff usually Monday (shoulders/triceps primarily) and Friday (back/biceps primarily). Sometimes I will just do assistance one day like Tuesday if I only train 3 days and that would be mostly back with a few other things then. I pretty much go heavy most of the time and do light days or a light week in between when I feel beat up.

April Mathis
04-09-2012, 08:32 PM
04/09/2012 Shoulders/Triceps (light day)

60x10
90x10
120x10x2sets

Lying DB Triceps Extensions (each arm)
20x10
30x10
40x10

Lying KB Triceps Extensions (behind head)
some lighter kbx10x3sets each arm

Triceps Pushdowns
Green Bandx30x4sets

Rear Delts with mini band
4sets of 10

Some r/c stuff

Had to go light today. Really beat up from yesterday and spotting and loading all day the day before. I think I'm gonna go light most of this week. Still pissed off shoulder is still bothering me too. I got under a buffalo bar and a regular bar today with a couple fingers on each just to see, which is getting better again, but it still hurts quite abit and I know would be much worse with weight on the bar. So still a few weeks at least till I can squat with either of those I'm sure. I do plan on trying around 645-655 maybe a little more on a cambered bar in a couple weeks though.

Brian Hopper
04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm wanting to try a new split, so I might steal yours...but mine would look like this...

Monday-Bench
Tuesday-SQ/DL
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Shoulders/Triceps
Friday-Back/Biceps

Or I would go back to my original plan of 3 days/week and I would do back/biceps on Thursday. I'm still not sure yet, I'm just throwing some ideas around.

April Mathis
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm wanting to try a new split, so I might steal yours...but mine would look like this...

Monday-Bench
Tuesday-SQ/DL
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Shoulders/Triceps
Friday-Back/Biceps

Or I would go back to my original plan of 3 days/week and I would do back/biceps on Thursday. I'm still not sure yet, I'm just throwing some ideas around.

I used to do that but Tuesday and Friday switched because I liked training squat and deadlift on Friday before a weekend off because that would have sucked otherwise at the last job I worked to go to work the day after. That is my favorite way to train if by myself or my best choice. Then I also switched the Monday and Thursday once I had a training partner for Thursdays and Fridays, and that worked ok too, except my back was sore a lot for squatting and pulling after arching for bench. I have people to train with here heavy bench on Thursday and heavy squatting on Sundays, so that's what I do, and just work in assistance work around that.

April Mathis
04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
04/12/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
Add carpet/paused reps
315x2
365x1
405x1
Add reverse green bands (hole 10 on monolift)/paused reps
455x1
480x1 PR
500x1 PR
520xmissed barely at lockout (last inch or 2)
515x1 PR hard but good

That's all. Didn't feel like doing any assistance. Felt real sore today after starting to bench, although felt better with the reverse bands sets. Need to take a week off next week. I don't do reverse bands much, but this was much better than 455 the last time I tried them.

Video from today. Sets on video are 455, 480, and 515:

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5875/april-mathis-reverse-band-bench-press

Brian Hopper
04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Solid pressing April, props on the PR's!!!

Brian Hopper
04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
April, what size slingshot do you use? I'm probably going to buy one this weekend.

April Mathis
04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
April, what size slingshot do you use? I'm probably going to buy one this weekend.

2XL. I need help getting it on though. I asked Mark and he said that was the one I should get before I bought it. But it also says on the website that you should be able to put it on yourself so I don't know, but it works fine. I think I have quite abit bigger arms than most people near my weight, because based on the measurement thing on it would suggest 3XL for me, though by bodyweight it suggests 2XL.

April Mathis
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM
04/15/2012 Goodmornings and Assistance

Chain-suspended goodmornings w/Cambered Bar
barxsome
155x5
245x3
335x3
425x3
515x3 loose belt
605x3
335x8 no belt

Bench Situps
barxsome
135x8
185x6
225x4x2sets
Drop Set: BWx15

Leg Curls
3sets of 10 each side

I guess the goodmornings were a little heavier than what was supposed to be a light day, lol. But I stopped at a moderately heavy triple, so it was alright. I think it is still a pr or ties a pr though for a triple. I don't remember if I did 600 or 605 before, depends what the bar weighed since it was a different bar. The bar came to upper ab height when standing next to it, which is about the way I have always done them. I believe it is about 40-41" off the floor from when I measured it in the past. It was fun to do these again after not doing them in over a year now.

April Mathis
04-16-2012, 08:05 PM
04/16/2012 Deload Week: Shoulders/Triceps light

Shoulder Press on Machine
90x10x3sets

Reverse PecDec
60x10x3sets each side

DB Side Raises
15x10x3sets each arm

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Purple Bandx40x3sets choked up high on band

Rear Delts w/mini band
3sets of 20

PecDec
60x50 slow reps

Few sets of abs just bw

Shoulder is doing better than last week. Everything was less panful and with using very slightly more weight this week in regards to shoulder movements. Still going to go real slow with it. Got under a squat bar once with most fingers on the bar, but still some pain in doing so and not ready to squat with it yet. Should be a few more weeks. I'm going to make sure it's completely healed up before attempting it again though. Will be going light on everything the rest of the week. Will probably squat heavy Sunday, since I took a break from squatting just a couple weeks ago.

April Mathis
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
04/17/2012 Biceps

DB Curls
20sx10
30sx8
40sx8
50sx8

DB Hammer Curls
60sx6x3sets

KB Concentration Curls
45x10x3sets each arm

I helped a few people today. so just did a few sets of curls while I was there. Nothing heavy. I will do some back stuff Thursday and that's all for the deload week.

April Mathis
04-19-2012, 09:21 PM
04/19/2012 Back - still deload week

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip (paused reps)
100x15
150x10x3sets

Hammer Strength Rows
45x10 each arm
90x10x3sets each arm

Shrug Machine
225x20x3sets

Straight-arm Pulldowns
50x10x4sets

That's it. Really needed the break this week. Not sure if I will squat heavy for sure on Sunday. My knee is still aching quite abit today, but my back feels pretty good. I may wait to go heavy the next week, but I will decide in a few days.

April Mathis
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
04/22/2012 Heavy Squat

barxsome
155x3
245x3
335x1
425x1 loose belt
515x1
585x1 loose belt/loose wraps
635x1 PR tighter belt/tighter wraps
Down set:
335x8 no belt or wraps

Side Bends
95x8x3sets each side

Abs on lat pulldown
100x15x3sets

Calf Raises
225x20x3sets

Hip Abductors/Adductors
Big red mini bandx15x2sets each per side

Good squat today. Felt like I got a little bit too far forward on the 635, but still got deep and it went up fine. Kind of getting annoyed I can't squat with a regular bar yet. My shoulder still hurts even getting under and unracking just the bar.

GazzyG
04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Hey April, great work with the squat PR!

Shoulder still giving you jip? Mine's only just feeling better now after almost four months.

Brian Hopper
04-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Strong squat April, I saw your knee was hurting you. How'd it feel squatting?

April Mathis
04-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey April, great work with the squat PR!

Shoulder still giving you jip? Mine's only just feeling better now after almost four months.

Thanks Gaz. It's getting better doing some stuff, except for squatting with a regular bar for some reason.

Strong squat April, I saw your knee was hurting you. How'd it feel squatting?

Thanks Brian. It was just sore. I had a small infection on my leg and couldn't walk right for a few days and that made my knee hurt some, but it's alright now.

April Mathis
04-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Video from squatting yesterday. My 635 squat is at the end of the video:

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5903/ngbb-sunday-night-crew

April Mathis
04-23-2012, 08:16 PM
04/23/2012 Shoulders/Triceps (still light)

90x10x2sets
120x10x2sets

DB Side Raises
15sx10x3sets

Plate Raises
35x10x3sets

Reverse PecDec
75x10x3sets each side

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Green bandx30x4sets

A little bit of shoulders stretching

That's all today. Shoulder is getting better with the shoulder-related movements, just squatting with that damn bar still is the problem.

Brian Hopper
04-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Looked strong in the video, Glenn's son is getting big.

NickAus
04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Congrats on the squat PR April!!

April Mathis
04-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Looked strong in the video, Glenn's son is getting big.

Thanks. I was happy with it, just felt like I was a little too far forward. Tyler weighs about 250lbs. now and 5'11" tall. He's big for just turning 16 about a month ago. He's doing good in football on defensive line from what Glenn says.

Congrats on the squat PR April!!

Thanks Nick.

thecityalive
04-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Fuckin genetic freak that kid is.

Brian Hopper
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, that's pretty big for 16 years old. Glenn better watch out, lol.

April Mathis
04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
04/26/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
Add carpet (paused reps)
405x3 PR
425x1 PR
435xmiss
435x1 PR

Flat DB Press
140sx9 PR
140sx8
140sx5

PecDec (paused reps)
120x10
90x10x2sets

Good bench day. Don't know why I missed 435 the first time, as 425 felt easy enough to double it. I think my setup was a little better on the second attempt, and got it, but it was slow and not easy. My shoulder felt good today full-range until 365, but still hurt some with that weight at the bottom. The small difference with the carpet press helps though so the heavier weights felt better after that. Db pressing was good too. I really wanted 10 with 140s on the first set though and it was feeling easy until the 9th rep then got hard fast, lol. Still 1 rep better than before.

April Mathis
04-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Video of me benching 365x3, 405x3, 425x1 (not on video), 435x1:

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5907/april-mathis-carpet-press-pr

Brian Hopper
04-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Great job coming back and hitting that PR!!!

mastermonster
04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Awesome training and great 635 squat! Hope the shoulder keeps improving!

April Mathis
04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks Brian and Buddy.

04/29/2012 Moderate Squat/Heavy Deadlift

barxsome
Add doubled green bands
barx3
155x2
245x2 loose belt
295x2
335x1x3sets

Deadlift off blocks (4" I think)
225x3
315x3
465x3 loose belt
535x1
605xmiss a couple inches off the blocks
565x1 think this might be a PR sadly

Shrug Machine
315x10x4sets paused reps

150x10x4sets paused reps

Well I learned that doubled green bands are really fucking heavy at the top, lol. I had no idea what they are, I just thought that since the bar was lower than a regular bar, it would be a good idea. I know that 335 plus the bands felt like quite abit more at the top than the 635 I did last week. Glenn told me later they add about 450-500lbs. I'm not sure it is that much, but felt like over 700lbs. on those sets anyways. Deadlift was ok. I wanted to get 605 off the blocks, but I only managed to get it up a couple inches. I think the most I have done on these before might be 545 though. If so, I guess the 565 wasn't too bad, but I don't remember for sure.

NickAus
04-30-2012, 03:19 AM
DOUBLED green bands...........nice!!

Brian Hopper
04-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Thats some sick tension April, nice work!!!

GazzyG
04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Very strong training, April! How much did the bands add at the top?

April Mathis
05-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks. Gazzy- I don't know. One of my training partners (Glenn) said it is the equivalent of about 450-500lbs. at the top. I'm not sure if it is that much, but it was heavy nonetheless.

04/30/2012 Shoulders/Triceps/Biceps

Modified Triceps Presses
barxsome
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
135x15

Shoulder Press on smith machine
135x8x4sets

Reverse PecDec
75x10x3sets each side

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Blue bandx15x4sets

DB Concentration Curls (short rest up to 75 reps)
30x10,10,10,10,10,9,8,8 each arm

Rear Delts with mini band
3sets of 20

Shoulder is getting much better. About halfway through I got under the squat bar a few times and hurts very little (where it's just barely noticeable) to hold the bar now, so it is almost healed enough to squat with it. I will probably wait about 2 more weeks to do so, however, so I don't reinjure it. This is also the first time I have done any shoulder pressing on a bar (yes it was smith machine but similar positioning to a barbell) and it felt good to about chin height, so I stayed no lower than that even though the weight was light.

Brian Hopper
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Glad to see the shoulder is feeling better.

April Mathis
05-03-2012, 01:04 PM
05/03/2012 Bench

Floor Press w/Fat Bar
barxsome
150x5
200x3
240x3
290x3
330x3
380x2
Add reverse green bands
420x3
460x1
490x1 cheated (my butt was off the floor to finish it)

PecDec
60x50x2sets

Bench with the barx50x2sets and some shoulder stretching

Good bench day. I have avoided floor pressing for years, because it always hurt my shoulder a lot to do them even with light weight, but today I tried it with Glenn and it was ok with the fat bar. I warmed up in smaller jumps to make sure. I guess everything from 330 up would pretty much be a pr, but it's not really comparable to that long ago.

April Mathis
05-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Later this evening I did some assistance work:

Flat DB Press
50sx10
80sx8
110sx8
140sx8
165sx2

Shrug Machine
405x10x4sets slow reps

Face Pulls
100x10x4sets

DB Rows
165x10x2sets each arm

Standing Cable Rows
100x10x2sets slow reps

Shoulder Horn
10sx8x3sets

I haven't been doing enough back stuff recently and I didn't do any assistance work earlier so this was alright.

April Mathis
05-06-2012, 11:08 PM
05/06/2012 Heavy Squat/Light Deadlift

Squat w/Cambered Bar (black one)
barxsome
155x3
245x3
335x2
425x1 loose belt
475+40lbs. chainx1
475+80lbs. chainx1 loose belt/loose wraps
475+140lbs. chainx1 loose belt/medium wraps
475+240lbs. chainx1 tighter belt/tighter wraps
480+320lbs. chainx1

Deadlift (no belt on all sets)
225x3
Add purple bands
225x3x4sets
275x2x2sets

Knee traction with mini band
3sets of 20 each side

Good squat today. I wasn't sure how easy or hard it was going to be at first with this bar so that's why the smaller jumps at first. And my knees were sore so I put the wraps on a little early. With deadlift I'm just going to pull a little heavier against bands each week until the meet. Two of my best gains on my deadlift were just pulling with bands like this for 5-6 weeks and then going for a heavy pull, so I will just try it again. Probably next week I will try to squat (or even just unrack and hold some weight) with the regular bar to see if my shoulder feels good enough to be able to compete or not 6 weeks from now. If not I will just lift at the one in August instead. I'm taking most of this next week off though. Deload a few weeks ago wasn't enough, because my joints are still hurting a lot. So that will leave 4 weeks heavy and then a week off before the meet, which is a good layout anyways.

GazzyG
05-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Mighty squatting, April! It'll feel weird for you when you're back using a normal bar again, I bet.

Brian Hopper
05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Great job April, thats some heavy weight at the top.

April Mathis
05-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks Brian and Gazzy. @Gazzy- It might. Probably feel alot better than these specialty bars (which all suck, but especially this black one).

Squat video from yesterday (last 2 sets): http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5928/april-mathis-cambered-bar-squatting-w-chains

mastermonster
05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Great squatting April! Hope the shoulder comes along fast!

April Mathis
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks Buddy.

05/13/2012 Moderate Squat/Heavy Deadlift

Squat w/Safety Squat Bar (using handles in power rack; walked out)
barxsome
155x5
245x5
335x3
425x3
515x3 loose belt
605x3 loose belt/loose wraps

Rack Pulls (from top of knees)
225x3
315x3
405x3
495x3 loose belt
585x3
655x1 (missed 2nd)
675x1
495x10 PR for reps

Later I did:

Barbell Shrugs with Cambered Bench bar (behind back)
135x8
225x8
315x8
405x8x3sets

Pullups
BWx8,7
BW+20lbs.x4,4

Weighted Decline Situps (weight behind head)
BW+20lbs.x8x4sets

Today was ok. A lot of volume. Squats were all easy. Didn't get what I wanted on rack pulls, but not too far off from the best I've done on them.

Still can't squat with a regular bar without my shoulder hurting. I tried when first warming up and it is a lot better than it was, but I want to wait till it fully heals. I also want to squat with a regular bar at least a few times before competing. So, I'm going to wait and compete at the SPF raw pro-am in August if everything goes well, instead of competing in June.

Brian Hopper
05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Probably a smart move by holding off on competing. Let that shoulder heal up and hit the numbers you know you can.

April Mathis
05-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Brian- Yep. And if I do the meet in August I can win money to pay for the trip so that's good too.

05/14/2012 Shoulders/Triceps

Shoulder Press on smith machine
barxsome
135x8
155x8
175x8
195x8

DB Side Raises
15sx8
20sx8
25sx8

DB Front Raises
20sx8
25sx8
30sx8

Reverse PecDec
60x10x4sets each side

Triceps Pushdowns close-grip
60x15x4sets

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Doubled black mini bandx20x4sets

Shoulder work is feeling much better each time. The shoulder raises and reverse pecdec didn't hurt at all this time and with slightly more weight on each, although still light.

April Mathis
05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
05/17/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x5
275x5
315x5
365x5 PR
Add slingshot
405x5 PR
435x3 PR
315x18

PecDec
90x10x3sets long pauses

Weighted Incline Pushups (paused reps)
BWx10
BW+20x10
BW+40x8
BW+60x6x2sets
drop set: BWxa bunch of reps

Good benching today. 365x5 wasn't too hard. Only slowed down a little on the last rep. Haven't tried to get 5 with it since last year when I got 4, so it was about time I finally did. And the side of my shoulder didn't hurt on anything today, which is good.

Brian Hopper
05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Strong PR April!!!

thecityalive
05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice PRS! I wanna let you know, I almost pulled a puker during my deads this week and thought of you. lolz. Glad to see everything is going well.

April Mathis
05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks. And doesn't matter as long as you finish the lift Rob.

05/20/2012 Deadlift and Back

Deadlift w/Fat Bar
150x5
200x5
240x5
290x5
330x5
380x5
430x3 loose belt
480x2

Barbell Shrugs w/Cambered Bench Bar
135x8
225x8
315x8
405x8
495x8
585x6

Barbell Rows off floor
225x5
275x5
325x5
375x5
445x2 sloppy- stopped there

150x8x4sets

DB Shrugs on Incline Bench
20sx20x4sets paused reps, just trying it today to see if I like this or not

20x8
30x8
40x8
50x6

40x8
50x8
60x8

A lot of volume today. The fat bar deadlift was pretty interesting. I was worried about having a problem with grip on it since I cant even touch my hands around the bar, but I didn't at all which was good. Still hard to pull with and I kept hitting my shins and knees on every set, which was unusual because it pretty much never happens on a regular bar. Back to squatting heavy next week. My knees really needed a break and hopefully feel better by then.

April Mathis
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
05/21/2012 Bench Lockout/Triceps/Shoulders

Bench Press
barxsome
Add 4-board
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5
455x2 (missed 3rd) PR heaviest I've tried
365x14

DB Side Raises
20sx10x3sets paused

DB Front Raises
20sx10x3sets paused

Reverse PecDec
60x10x4sets each side

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Blue Bandx20x5sets

Was hoping to get more reps with 455, but considering lockout is definitely not my strong point benching and it's the heaviest I've tried, it's not too bad.

April Mathis
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
A couple bench videos from last Thursday:

365x5 raw: http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5962/women%27s-all-time-highest-raw-bencher-april-mathis-doing-365-x-5

435x3 with slingshot: http://www.ironscene.com/videos/5964/april-mathis-benching-435-x-3-w-sling-shot

Brian Hopper
05-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Strong board presses April!!!

NickAus
05-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Ever impressive April!!

April Mathis
05-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks Brian and Nick.

05/24/2012 Bench

Bench Press w/Cambered Bench Bar
barxsome
135x8
225x5 shoulder hurt too much, switched bars

Bench Press w/Fat Bar
290x3
330x3
380x2 easy
Add carpet
420xmiss touched too low
420x1 pretty easy
425xmiss touched too high I think

Incline Bench
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5 PR
295x5 PR
315x4 PR

PecDec (each side, one side at a time)
60x10
90x10
120x8
150x6
60x50 both at same time

Really should have just benched full-range the whole time. For some reason I kept getting out of groove with that carpet press pad. I think I either need to use it earlier and work up or not at all. I was just trying to go a little heavier each time full-range before using it or the slingshot or something else to make sure my shoulder won't hurt bad, but I think it will be just fine with benching now (other than the cambered bar which is still a bad idea for awhile and makes me think squatting with a regular bar with any weight on it will still be that painful too). Very happy with incline benching though. I have always been horrible at them and this is the first time I have done them in over a year and I have never done 295 or 315 for 1 even before.

April Mathis
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
05/27/2012 Squat

barxsome
155x3
245x3
335x2
425x1 loose belt
515x1
585x1 loose belt/loose wraps
625xmiss (got too far forward at the bottom) tighter belt/tighter wraps
625x1 better
515x1 loose belt/loose wraps

Squat lockouts off chains w/Squat bar (no belt)
145x3
195x3
235x3x2sets
285x3x2sets
335x3x2sets

Abs- 2sets BWx some reps

Not the best day, but still came back and got the 625. I wanted to go up to 645 or so today, and the 2nd attempt with 625 felt easy enough to, but that was enough. My back and knees were bothering me a lot today, so I just left it there. I was going to do a few reps with 515 but that hurt enough too so I just stopped at 1. The squat lockouts were only to start trying to use a regular bar to squat with a limited range of motion, and my shoulder wasn't too bad with these (285 and 335 hurt some but not that bad) and it doesn't feel like it made it any worse today, so that's a good start at least. I should be able to squat with a regular bar very soon.

April Mathis
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
05/28/2012 Bench Lockout/Shoulders/Triceps

Fat Bar Dead Press off Chains
Pin 6 on monolift (about 2.5-board)
barxsome
150x5
240x3
330x1x3sets
Pin 7 (about 3-board)
350x1x2sets
Pin 8 (about 3.5-board)
370x1x2sets
Pin 9 (about 4-board)
390x1
Pin 2 (just over chest height)
240x10

Reverse PecDec
75x10x4sets each side

Band Pushdowns
Doubled black mini-bandx20x5sets

Rear delts with mini-bandx20x3sets

some r/c stuff

My shoulder doesn't like these kind of presses too much right now, so I'm probably not going to do them much. Still some good work done. Decided to keep it moderately heavy for a bunch of singles instead of heavier for less sets.

April Mathis
05-29-2012, 10:48 PM
05/29/2012 Deadlift/Back

Deadlift with Cambered Bar (black one) standing on 4" block (bar at lower part of knees to start)
155x5
245x3
315x3
385x3
455x3
515x3 loose belt

Rows on machine (each arm)
45x8
90x8
135x8
180x8

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
200x8x3sets

Bench Shrugs
barx10x4sets

Someone had the idea a couple weeks ago to try deadlifting with this bar. It is the hardest bar I ever had to grip as it is quite abit thicker than a regular bar and is completely smooth. I never lose my grip with anything, but I started to feel like I was about to lose my grip at the lockout of the 515 set. Other than that is wasn't too hard, other than it also swings as you lift it as expected. My back still hurt so this was probably not the best idea today, but since this next weekend I will be helping at a meet 3 days in a row and not going to squat or pull, I just pulled today.

April Mathis
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
05/31/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
185x8
225x8
275x8
Add carpet
315x8
365x7
385x4 (just missed 5th)

Bench Press w/Cambered Squat Bar
barx5
115x5
155x5
205x5
245x3
295xmiss too unstable had spotter take it
245x3x2sets

PecDec (each arm separate)
60x10
90x10
120x8
75x30 (both arms)

Shoulder was pretty sore today so did some higher reps. A lot of volume but went well. I tried benching with the cambered squat bar and that was interesting to say the least. Similar to benching with hanging kettlebells on the bar but felt even more unstable than that. By the last set of 245 it felt much better. I think I will try these for awhile in between as assistance.

April Mathis
06-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Helped at a meet for 3 days, so trained today instead of Sunday.

06/04/2012 Squat (light day)

Squat (all no belt and deep as possible)
barxsome
145x5
235x5
325x5
415x5
465x3

KB Swings
40x10x4sets

Leg Curls w/band
Green bandx20x3sets

Weighted Situps
BW+45lbx10x3sets barbell at arm's length

Some shoulder stretching and rehab stuff

Everything felt easy as it should even with my back being sore from the last few days. Felt a little awkward and off balance with a regular bar after not squatting with one in 3 months. Happy to squat with it again though with only a small amount of shoulder pain on the last 2 sets, but nothing bad.

April Mathis
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
06/07/2012 Bench

Bench Press
barxsome
135x8
225x3
275x3
Add carpet
315x3
365x3
405x3

Bench w/shirt (loose phenom)
2-board
405x1
455x1
1-board
455x1
full-range
455x1
475xmiss (shirt slid up and think I touched too high)
475x1 better

Shoulder hurt a lot today, need to take next week off benching. Stopped a little early raw with just 405. I wanted to try a new shirt someone I know just let me have. The good thing is I touched a lot easier than with the denim shirts I tried (and I did 2 out of 3 good reps touching, which is way better than my usual 1 out of 5-10). The bad thing, the sleeves are too big, so it doesn't help a lot. I can probably get a little over 500 with it, but not more than that without it fitting tighter or getting stronger. But I think I will like to learn it for awhile how it is, then I can get the sleeves tighter.

Brian Hopper
06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Some strong presses!!! When do u plan on doing a geared meet?

April Mathis
06-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Some strong presses!!! When do u plan on doing a geared meet?

End of the year or early next year or something like that. Before I compete I need a shirt that fits better. I think I like this one, because finally I didn't have such a hard time touching (it still sucks but not nearly as frustrating). I need to get the sleeves tighter before I compete with it though. I want to do bench-only the first time most likely and go for 620lbs. or above or something like that that will beat the record by a significant amount. All the weights feel easy, I just have to learn the technique better. I probably won't try the shirt again or at least not much before the meet I do in August. After that, I will use it a lot. And Glenn has a canvas squat suit I'm going to try to see if it fits and use that with just a suit and no briefs.

April Mathis
06-10-2012, 09:06 PM
06/10/2012 Squat

Squat
barxsome
145x5
235x3
325x3
415x1
415+100lbs.chainx1 loose belt
415+180lbs.chainx1
415+260lbs.chainx1
435+340lbs.chainx1 loose belt/loose wraps
455+440lbs.chainxmiss tighter belt/tight wraps

Box Squat w/Safety Squat Bar (long pauses on box)
barx5
155x5x3sets

Hip work w/Blue band
3sets of 15

Knee rehab w/Purple band
3sets of 15 each leg

Not happy about missing the last set, but the heaviest sets with just a belt and with loose wraps and belt were easy and good. I think I made a little too much of a jump on the last one. I decided not to try another one as my shoulder was a little aggravated on that set, but feels fine now. I realized after that even though I did 465+420lbs.chain before, the chains were set higher this time and the last time I used them, since the time I did that I was training with someone much taller so it was set lower so it wouldn't have to be changed. 4 or 5 more links of each chain off the ground makes a significant difference. Still not an excuse for missing though. Going to try something heavy straight weight in a couple weeks I think, probably at least 660-685lbs. range. I'm trying to add some extra hip work also until the meet to help my deadlift lockout.

April Mathis
06-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Deload week

06/14/2012 Shoulders/Back/Arms

Shoulder Press on Smith Machine
barxsome
135x10
185x5
205x5
225x3
245x3

Shrug Machine
225x15
315x15
405x15

Lat Pulldowns w/Fat bar
100x10
150x10x3sets

Bodyweight Rowsx10x3sets

Triceps Pushdowns
60x15x3sets

KB Curls
45x15x3sets each arm

That's all today. Light lower body day on Sunday then back to training heavy for 6 weeks for the meet.

NickAus
06-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Beast mode!!

April Mathis
06-18-2012, 12:30 AM
06/17/2012 Light Deadlift and lower body

Leg Press
225x15x2sets
405x15
585x15

Stiff-legged Deadlift (no belt)
135x8
225x8
315x8
415x8 PR

Hips w/blue band
4sets of 10

Abs on lat pulldown
80x15
100x15
120x15x2sets

Light day. Good pr for reps on stiff-legged deadlift though. Heavy squat next week.

NickAus
06-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Hard to believe you dont pull 700 with some of the movements you can smash!!

Brian Hopper
06-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Some strong SLDLs!!!

April Mathis
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Hard to believe you dont pull 700 with some of the movements you can smash!!

I still don't know why I suck at deadlift either. I'm good at pretty much every back movement besides that one. Maybe some day I will be better at it...

April Mathis
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Some strong SLDLs!!!

Thanks Brian.

April Mathis
06-19-2012, 09:04 PM
06/19/2012 Back/Biceps

Hammer Strength Row Machine (each arm)
45x10x2sets
90x8
135x8
180x8
225x5

Pullups
BWx7,5,4,4

Shrug Machine
135x10
225x10
315x10
405x10
495x10

DB Concentration Curls (light)
30x10x3sets each arm

Good back work today.

April Mathis
06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
06/21/2012 Bench

Bench Press w/ Fat Bar
barxsome
150x5
200x3
240x3
247+40lbs.chainx3
247+80lbs.chainx3
297+80lbs.chainx3
337+80lbs.chainx3 PR
357+80lbs.chainx1 PR

Incline Bench
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x6 PR easy

PecDec (each arm)
75x10
120x10x2sets

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Green bandx20x5sets

Felt real strong benching today. Last week off really helped. The chain only deloads about 30lbs. or so at the bottom and this is better than the last time I did heavy benching with chains with a regular bar even. I think 435-440lbs. will be there in 6 weeks when I compete.

Brian Hopper
06-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Strong benching!!!

April Mathis
06-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Brian.

06/23/2012 Heavy Squat/Deadlift

Squat
Barxsome
165x3
275x3
385x1
496x1 loose belt
606x1 loose belt/loose wraps
650x1 PR loose belt/tighter wraps

Rack Pulls (top of knees)
135x3
Doubled mini bands
135x3
Doubled mini bands+doubled monster mini bands
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x3 loose belt
495x3
545x1

Squats felt heavy throughout the warmups from 385 on. 650 actually felt pretty easy. I know I need to warm up more, jumps are too big when we use the kilo plates, but it just happened to be what the people I was squatting with wanted to use as they were going heavier with full gear on. I decided to stop there and just do some pulls because my shoulder was really aggravated squatting again today, which it hasn't been the last couple times so I wasn't too happy about that. My plan was only to go to an easy 645ish today, so I did basically what I planned on even a few lbs. more. Rack pulls were ok, not sure what weight to expect on them. I'm just going to alternate between deadlifts off the floor and rack pulls all against bands until the meet.

Brian Hopper
06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Great job April, that's a huge squat!!! Looks like you'll be going over 1700 by the time the meet comes around.

April Mathis
06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Great job April, that's a huge squat!!! Looks like you'll be going over 1700 by the time the meet comes around.

Thanks. Trying to total at least 1750. Going to do at least 675 squat before I compete. I may or may not do another higher than that. Depends how easy it is. So far considering something like 630, 670, 700 as my 3 attempts and a fourth at 730 if 700 is easy enough. If not I will be happy with 700.

April Mathis
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
06/26/2012 Back/Biceps

Reverse PecDec
60x15x4sets each arm

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
100x8
140x8
180x8
220x8
260x6

DB Rows (light)
100x10x3sets each arm

1-arm ez bar Curls (each arm)
Barx10
35x10
45x10x2sets
Drop set- 45x20 both arms

Done.

April Mathis
06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
06/28/2012 Bench

Bench Press
Barxsome
135x8
Add purple band (brand new one)
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1
345x1
Add 2-board
365x1
Add 3-board
375x1
Full-range/remove band
Drop set- 315x10/225x5/135x8

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Green bandx25x4sets

Good benching today. I don't know how much tension the band is but it was definitely heavy.

April Mathis
07-01-2012, 09:00 PM
07/01/2012 Squat/Deadlift

Squat w/Cambered Bar (newer one, no belt on all sets)
Barxsome
155x5
245x3
335x3
385x3
425x3 pr for no belt

Deadlift (no belt on all sets)
135x5
Add mini-bands
135x3
225x3
275x3
325x3x2sets

Glute-Ham Raises
BWx8x3sets

Weighted Situps (weight behind head)
BW+10x12x3sets

Lighter day. Back was still feeling sore today. Felt strong though.

Brian Hopper
07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Good way to start the month, lol. Strong session April!!!

April Mathis
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
One month left till my meet.

07/03/2012 Back/Biceps (light day)

100x10x3sets

Lat Pulldowns wide-grip
150x10x3sets

Shrug Machine
225x20x3sets

Straight-arm Pulldowns
60x10x3sets

Reverse PecDec
60x10x3sets each arm

Rear Delts w/mini-band
2sets of 30

Bicep Curls w/monster mini-band
4sets of 10 each arm

My back still feels pretty beat up. This was just enough today. Assistance work is much less important than competition lifts in the last 6 weeks before competing.

Brian Hopper
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah, one month out...are you ready?

April Mathis
07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah, one month out...are you ready?

Yep for the most part. I have a good idea of what I'm going to do. Still need to squat at least 675 or above once before I go and at least a little above an opener bench once.

April Mathis
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
06/05/2012 Bench

Bench Press
Barxsome
135x8
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x1
405x1
420x1 PR easy

Incline Bench
135x5
225x5
295x5
335x5 PR

PecDec
75x15x2sets each arm
120x15x2sets both arms

Band Triceps Pushdowns
Green bandx20x5sets

Side DB Raises
10sx10x3sets

Good bench today. Happy that 420 was as easy as it was. I could have got at least 430 today. I think 440 at the meet. 425 will likely be my second based on how today went and still being over 4 weeks out.

April Mathis
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Video of benching:
http://www.ironscene.com/uploads/mp4/iCzObqasShouhMywmdZy.mp4

Brian Hopper
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
That looked like a pretty easy PR, good job April!!!