PDA

View Full Version : Critique my squat

kingns
12-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I occasionaly post training vids on here to get some feedback. I just got a new camera so filmed todays workout. Heres the vid, any comments would be appreciated! I have had a lot of trouble with going below parallel with good form and am working my stance out. In the past the only way I oculd get to parallel was with a close stance and way bent over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBaGkcARxc&list=UUKg7wAVrH4m2Fh1aL5TmJPw&index=1&feature=plcp

Murderous
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
At the start of your first set when you had already unracked the weight you fully arched your lower back right before when you were about to descend. Tighten everything before you unrack the bar...

mastermonster
12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
I think you need to work on posterior chain strength. It seems your lower back, glutes and hams are not up to par with your quad strength. You have much better form and stay more upright on your lighter sets and hit depth well. As the sets get heavier it starts breaking down. You start letting the weight bend you over and as a result the butt moves up and you can't hit depth. All fixable. Just focus more training time on the low back, glutes, and hams as well as working on sitting back (box squats may help) and staying more upright when the weight feels heavy. Good luck!

April Mathis
12-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Up until the last set which is borderline or a little high, everything else looked good to me. I squat leaning forward like that all the time (even with the bar). I actually think it is more of a sign of your lower back being stronger than the rest of your body more than anything, so your squat reflects that by using more back strength to get the weight up. To me it looks like you still lean forward even on the lighter sets, although a bit less (but the angles are different so it is hard to tell). As long as you stay on your heels and do not shift the weight to your toes during the rep at all (it does not look like you do or at least not enough for your heels to come off the ground), you actually have a very good stance and form for a powerlifting back-dominant squat.

Yes it does make it harder to break parallel. In person I could show you the trick to doing so at the bottom of the squat if you are going to squat with a substantial forward lean, but it is hard for me to explain without showing you in person or by video. I don't have any good videos right now that can show what I mean, but the best i can explain at the bottom you have to pretty much tuck your butt down while sitting back and down a bit more once you get to where you are just above parallel and bind up and that helps you get the last couple inches of depth easy (with practice for awhile of course). You could also try pointing your toes out more or moving your feet a few inches closer or wider and any of those could make a substantial difference in being able to hit depth easier.

There is not one right way to squatting. There are actually alot of very strong raw squatters that lean forward substantially. But it is not the right form for everyone. I am saying though that if that feels like a natural squat position and form for you, then you likely would do better staying with that style but working more on depth. If it does not and you are more comfortable staying narrow and more upright, then you should use that type of stance. You will know when you find the right stance as it feels like a comfortable position to be in and you feel like you have a lot more power from there.

theBarzeen
12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
nothing left for me to add... maybe just keep your head up..... good to see some really solid advise being shared on this board.....

kingns
12-30-2011, 11:31 AM
cool thanks. Its a never ending battle w my form