PDA

View Full Version : Critique my plan

K Y L E
12-30-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm trying to set up a Westside style plan. This week for ME squat/deadlift, I did a few sets of deadlifts working up to my 3 rep max, 3x4 squats, 2 working sets of box squats for 5 reps, lat pulldown 8x8, and 2 sets of hanging leg raises til failure. For DE I plan on doing Box squat- 8x2 (40% of max), Speed deadlift- 5x1 (60% of max), hyperextension- 4x10, Leg raises- 4x10, and Lat pulls to abs- 2x15

Is this a good plan? What would you change?

RhodeHouse
12-30-2011, 08:10 AM
First, at 150lbs, I would make my number one goal to pack on some appreciable muscle. This is powerlifting, afterall.

Second, there are tons of articles out there with Westside templates. I'd read every article you can find and pay attention to what you see that is repeated. If it's repeated in different articles, and it is, this is what you should use to put your plan together.

In my opinion, if you're asking what we think of your plan on here, then you don't have confidence in it.

robertjr93
12-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I think the best thing to do is read! Westside is simple but complicated because of all the choices! Dont think too much about it or you will overthink things! At my gym for ME/Lower we do some type of squats 1 week and the next we do some kind of deadlift! DE/Lower we do box squats and speed pulls, ME/Upper we do a variety of benching excersises, floor press, bench with bands or chains board presses utalize whatever you have!

K Y L E
12-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Rhodehouse I did read some articles, and these were the exercises that were most used except for the hypers, I threw those into the plan because they help my back, and tweaked the rep/set variations a little bit. All I was really asking for is if this isn't overkill or if I should vary up the main exercise for ME/DE. But thank you for the feedback, and thank you robert.

kingns
12-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Noto to be a jerk, but if I was 150 lbs I wouldnt do westside. I would do a lot of volume and reps with the power lifts to build muscle. Your not going to do that with 8x2 on DE squats, 3 rm on ME day and with the amount of assistance work you have listed. Westside is fun, and sorta exotic considering all the cool stuff you do, but for some people its just not optimal. In my opinion

K Y L E
12-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey kingns, thanks man, at least you were being blunt and specific and I appreciate that. I can still research the Westside methods while growing.

K Y L E
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Would you recommend a plan like HCT-12 for someone with my build? 5'8 and 160

joey54
12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Are the stats in your signature your current ones?

kingns
12-30-2011, 04:12 PM
If i were you, and I was set on doing westside, I would do higher reps during the DE work, or replace it with repitition work entirely. And for assistance work do more compound exercises and less isolation stuff. Like for ME bench day do DB presses for 5x10, and on ME Sq/dl day sldl or regular squats for 5x10. Or just look up westside for skinny bastards which isnt exactly westside but has more of what you would need.
A lot of the people that go to westside have already built a ton of muscle and a solid base from doing the power lifts for years, that they can afford to just do the special exercises and weak point stuff. For people that are newer to weightlifting like you (im assuming) and even like me (Im 240 lbs and done 7 meets) we need more time just doing the 3 lifts for reps, and sets.

April Mathis
12-30-2011, 06:00 PM
If i were you, and I was set on doing westside, I would do higher reps during the DE work, or replace it with repitition work entirely. And for assistance work do more compound exercises and less isolation stuff. Like for ME bench day do DB presses for 5x10, and on ME Sq/dl day sldl or regular squats for 5x10. Or just look up westside for skinny bastards which isnt exactly westside but has more of what you would need.
A lot of the people that go to westside have already built a ton of muscle and a solid base from doing the power lifts for years, that they can afford to just do the special exercises and weak point stuff. For people that are newer to weightlifting like you (im assuming) and even like me (Im 240 lbs and done 7 meets) we need more time just doing the 3 lifts for reps, and sets.

This is a good answer. You can still go heavy some of the time but need to do alot of reps and assistance work too, no matter what "routine" you use.

K Y L E
12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Are the stats in your signature your current ones?

Yeah, I just haven't adjusted my weight in a while I'm 160 now although that doesn't make much difference.

Yes, I've been lifting frequently for just over a year now. Thank you man you've been a big help I'll definitely give this a try.

NickAus
12-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Great advice.

Rep work in place of speed work and westside is a good choice.

Lots of pressing, squatting and pulling (deads and rows) is what works.

Brian C
12-30-2011, 08:25 PM
And eat more. Start downing whole milk every day and having a protein shake at every meal. Get yourself up around 200 at least(shouldnt be hard)

K Y L E
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
And eat more. Start downing whole milk every day and having a protein shake at every meal. Get yourself up around 200 at least(shouldnt be hard)

I wish it wasn't hard for me. The only thing that has ever helped me gain weight is GOMAD with a 4000 calorie solid food diet and every night I'd feel like puking. Although, I am planning on going back to that diet.

joey54
12-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Conjugate training is great for anyone, but if doing it one must be cognizant of their weaknesses at all times. This allows for the program to be tailored to addressing those. Right now you barely squat more than you bench. You could reap tremendous benefits squatting 3 x's per week yet and have a lot of room to progress yet. If you do a 5x5 routine and start reasonably, you could be up to squatting 400 for 5 in about 4 months or so.

vdizenzo
12-31-2011, 08:14 AM
For your size I would read up on Westside for Skinny Bastards. It maintains the main principles but has more volume.

When I was with Brian Siders one day (if you don't know who Brian Siders is, you should) and he asked me how tall I was, I replied 5'8" to that he said, "You should weigh at least 365."