PDA

View Full Version : Best Supplementary/Accessory Exercises For Raw Benching?

Murderous
12-30-2011, 12:44 AM
For chest what I currently do is I alternate between ultra wide grip bench press (hands one centimeter away from sides of rack), wide grip bench press (index fingers on rings) or my regular grip BP (pinkies on outer rings). For triceps I usually do my CGBP (hands about exactly between inner and outter rings) and JM press.

Do chest flies have good carryover to the bench press? What other exercises do you guys do when you lift raw? My powerlifter friend (who usually benches with Scot M.'s former coach) usually does decline benching, 2 board press, or just regular bench press when working on the bench press.

I know OHP is really great for tri's but I cannot do them heavy for a little while until I get my SI joints mobilized. I never did heavy tricep extensions for the sake of saving my elbow joints. Anyone have success with tate press, rolling tri ext.'s e.t.c.? What do you guys also benefit from doing that build your chest& tri's for raw benching? Thanks.

NickAus
12-30-2011, 02:09 AM
DB bench is great for building the raw bench and adding size.

Murderous
12-30-2011, 02:48 AM
DB bench is great for building the raw bench and adding size.This would be a tricep targetting exercise. Forgot about these lol thanks for remind me.;

NickAus
12-30-2011, 03:10 AM
More for the pecs but still hits the triceps.

Murderous
12-30-2011, 04:43 AM
To me it sort of imitates a CGBP though.

theBarzeen
12-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Heavy board work, training in a shirt or slingshot to get used to holding some heavy weights, Key presses, skull-crushers, and more heavy board presses.....

Murderous
12-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Will try out key presses for sure, will try board benching when I see the two powerlifters I mentioned at my gym (that is of course when they are doing it.) These two other powerlifters (who are brothers and hold World records) usually do the regular bench press, bench with bands for higher reps, sometimes they bench with the Titan RAM, and at the end they usually do tri extensions on the cable machine. Don't have access to a shirt and I don't know how to use them and I don't have a crew to train with to teach me/spot me well.

I usually just do tri extensions for prehab conditioning but will give them a try on my RE days since I won't be going so heavy.

Thanks to everyone for your posts.

thecityalive
12-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Weighted dips, Sweedish bar, Tate Press, JM press...

Murderous
12-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Weighted dips is another to add.

jtteg_x
12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
what program are you currently following?

Murderous
12-30-2011, 07:53 PM
what program are you currently following?Actually doing my own. Think of it as the West Side bench template where the DE day is replaced with RE and I added chest as a supplementary muscle the same way tri is a supplementary muscle in the west side template. On ME days I work up to a max half the time but I always do some work 90%+ of my max (1-3 reps a set.) All my supplementary/accessory work is heavy on my ME days as well. I progress 15lbish a month if I could make every training day. (seems a little faster that when I was doing DE and following the west side bench template exactly the way it is.)

Brian C
12-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Definately add weighted dips. Ive started doing them again and am up to adding 180lbs and my bench is starting to move again.

RhodeHouse
12-30-2011, 09:14 PM
More important than any pressing movement is a ton of back and lat work. That would be my first exercise after my main pressing movement. I'd do one heavy movement (5x5-10 reps) and one lighter movement (3-5x15-20 reps) twice a week for 2-3 years. Your bench will go as your back goes.

Niko_El_Piko
12-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I work supplementary after the main lift. Floor presses, pin presses or incline.
After that I hit a lot of work on the triceps. I select 2 exercises and rotate them every 2 weeks. One heavy with barbell and one in a higher rep range. Board and floor presses with close grip, extensions to the throat, skull, JM press, weighted dips, rolling extensions, etc.
Work heavy rows and lots of upperback/rear delt come right after, together with some hammer curls.
I donīt believe Flies have any carryover to the bench press.

Murderous
12-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Have heard from some that floor presses didn't help their raw bench much. I'll give boards a try when I see my powerlifter friend at the gym (that is, if he brings it with him.) Lol it sucks training at a commercial gym, but I live 5 minutes away from it and I pay less so it's the best I could do. The nearest powerlifting gym is Scot M.'s and I haven't heard good things about him from my friend and his former coach, but his gym is the only gym in my area with a good amount of powerlifters and actual powerlifting training equipment.

So far the new exercises that I should be able to do by myself along with the exercises I already said I do in my OP:

Weighted dips, DB press, Key press, rolling extensions, tate press (heard these thrash the elbows if you go heavy/do them for weeks, so I will do this one occasionally).

When I see my powerlifter friend around I'll try to use his boards if he brings them with him. I'll also start doing OHP once I heal soon from my injury.

I know a lot of you swear by board presses but even if I make them I'm going to have people hold it over me inproperly because they don't do this sport, and then I'll probably have to have a spotter help me unrack the weights since they are going to be close or even past to my full ROM 1RM.

Thanks a lot to everyone. I wonder if this topic should be stickied since it will be helpful for other raw lifters.

Cary Pond
12-31-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm a raw lifter too stuck at my #'s. Thanks for the input from everyone on this subject. I'll follow the above plan

vdizenzo
12-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Instead of board presses, roll up a thick towel and put it under your shirt. You can substitute that for board presses. Just don't let the weight sink too deeply into the towel.

For triceps you have so start doing extension work. Try rolling dumbbell tricep extensions. Also, i don't know why you don't do barbell extensions or jm's. You say you are trying to save your elbows, have you done them enough to know they are causing you a problem? Watch your weight and your form and you will most likely be fine. I don't recommend you doing them every week, but theay are important.

Lastly, be carefull who you listen to in the outside world. If you are a raw lifter emulate raw lifters and their programs. Have you tried floor presses in your program? They have always been a pretty integral part of every raw training cycle I have had and I have had pretty good success with raw benching.

Murderous
12-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok I will give floor presses a try soon as well. I said in my OP that I do JM press. I will also give towel presses a try. Thanks Vince.

Niko_El_Piko
12-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Instead of board presses, roll up a thick towel and put it under your shirt. You can substitute that for board presses. Just don't let the weight sink too deeply into the towel.

For triceps you have so start doing extension work. Try rolling dumbbell tricep extensions. Also, i don't know why you don't do barbell extensions or jm's. You say you are trying to save your elbows, have you done them enough to know they are causing you a problem? Watch your weight and your form and you will most likely be fine. I don't recommend you doing them every week, but theay are important.

Lastly, be carefull who you listen to in the outside world. If you are a raw lifter emulate raw lifters and their programs. Have you tried floor presses in your program? They have always been a pretty integral part of every raw training cycle I have had and I have had pretty good success with raw benching.

Murderous,

You are getting advice from people who REALLY exist in this world. Not just some dude from the gym who actually SAY they WERE powerlifters. Vince or Rhodes just to mention two.
Again, tell the guy who told you that Floor Presses donīt work for triceps/raw bench, to give them a try with close grip.

Murderous
12-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Murderous,

You are getting advice from people who REALLY exist in this world. Not just some dude from the gym who actually SAY they WERE powerlifters. Vince or Rhodes just to mention two.
Again, tell the guy who told you that Floor Presses donīt work for triceps/raw bench, to give them a try with close grip.It was people from a more body building oriented forum :tuttut:

So I have to do them close grip for best results? Are they not as effective wide? Thanks.

thecityalive
12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
CGPB engage more triceps as the motion allows you to tuck your elbows more (similar to a dip).

Niko_El_Piko
12-31-2011, 01:16 PM
It was people from a more body building oriented forum :tuttut:

So I have to do them close grip for best results? Are they not as effective wide? Thanks.

I work both grips. CG tends to involve even more the triceps in an exercise that focuses triceps like the FP.

jtteg_x
12-31-2011, 04:01 PM
floor presses: you can rotate grips (comp/medium/close) and supplement them as an accessory. I wouldn't get caught up doing them every week though.

JM press and DB rollovers are great to do off the ground to save a bit on the shoulder.

DB key press will place more emphasis on triceps than traditional DB bench.

I can't imagine DB flies bringing any carry over to a PL bench considering its more of a BBing movement.

Decline benching is a great assistance or accessory as well (same concept of floor pressing applies).

speed bench is king.

Listen to Rhodes and Vince:thumbup:

Dank27
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
I have a completely dumb question.

What is a key press?

For my accesory work i do the following

Skullcrushers
Rolling tricep extensions (from floor and bench)
Minor cable work for warm up
JM presses
DB presses
Floor presses (varied grips)

Of course these get cycled into my training. They are not all done everytime.

jtteg_x
12-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a completely dumb question.

What is a key press?

For my accesory work i do the following

Skullcrushers
Rolling tricep extensions (from floor and bench)
Minor cable work for warm up
JM presses
DB presses
Floor presses (varied grips)

Of course these get cycled into my training. They are not all done everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOQH-NBShVM
There are othe variations to it. Like keeping a paralell line throughout the whole movement.

April Mathis
12-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Mainly do flat bench, but sometimes switch up with things like board presses (or carpet presses, which is kind of like a soft board or rolled up towel that was already mentioned), slingshot, bench with chains. I have been benching with a loose bench shirt in between and that has been helping improve my lockout. Once in a while i do a incline or decline, wide grip or something else just for something different. I have some shoulder problems, so a lot of times I do thing that are not as hard on the shoulders like I mentioned.

Assistance in usually heavy flat db benching and either pecdec or flyes. I do some triceps and shoulder stuff on a different day, and also do a bunch of rotator cuff stuff once or twice per week. And do back work on a different day also.

I switch a lot between heavy and rep work different weeks.

Also, every big bencher I have ever talked to does something different and has done different things to get where they are. You have to see what works for you.

Murderous
01-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks April, you are an aspiring figure for female weight lifters.

So far what I've mentioned in my OP has worked exceptionally well for me, now it just come to nailing that 250 lb max on thursday. For everyone's info I started lifting (when I attained my gym membership) on January 6th and my bench was possibly 90 lbs max (if I had the perfect form I do now) and the most I did by myself was 235 lbs early december and 245 a little assisted but I knew I had that weight. I hit deadlifting 300+ in my third month of training and a 245Ũ5 low bar squat before my injury. I have a progress log on another forum but I might create one here because of everyone's great knowledge for the new years. Thank you for everyone's help for the whole time I have joined here, sometimes I feel lucky Chris doesn't charge people for membership on this forum. Current BW is about 190 (without being able to train legs/back much) @15 years old 6 3'.

Everyone have a happy new year and happy PR's.

RhodeHouse
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Have heard from some that floor presses didn't help their raw bench much. I'll give boards a try when I see my powerlifter friend at the gym (that is, if he brings it with him.) Lol it sucks training at a commercial gym, but I live 5 minutes away from it and I pay less so it's the best I could do. The nearest powerlifting gym is Scot M.'s and I haven't heard good things about him from my friend and his former coach, but his gym is the only gym in my area with a good amount of powerlifters and actual powerlifting training equipment.

So far the new exercises that I should be able to do by myself along with the exercises I already said I do in my OP:

Weighted dips, DB press, Key press, rolling extensions, tate press (heard these thrash the elbows if you go heavy/do them for weeks, so I will do this one occasionally).

When I see my powerlifter friend around I'll try to use his boards if he brings them with him. I'll also start doing OHP once I heal soon from my injury.

I know a lot of you swear by board presses but even if I make them I'm going to have people hold it over me inproperly because they don't do this sport, and then I'll probably have to have a spotter help me unrack the weights since they are going to be close or even past to my full ROM 1RM.

Thanks a lot to everyone. I wonder if this topic should be stickied since it will be helpful for other raw lifters.

If you live that close to Scot Mendelson's gym - THE BEST RAW BENCHER IN THE WORLD - you are stupid not to train there. That shows me you don't really want to improve. A gym full of guys who train the way you supposedly want to train and you're at a commercial place? And, please don't try to defend yourself to me. Nothing you say will change my mind. Don't waste your time.

thecityalive
01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Commercial lifting is a nightmare for so many fucking reasons. If you have the best facility to train at, I'm gonna got with Rhodes on this one and echo what he said. I'd give a lot to even have the opportunity of a great training facility in my proximity.

Murderous
01-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm 16 and the gym is probably less than 30 minutes away by freeway, and I don't have my license yet.

mastermonster
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm 16 and the gym is probably less than 30 minutes away by freeway, and I don't have my license yet.

When you get it (license) get to Scot's gym! I don't know who told you bad things about Scot but I've been around him a good bit and he's a great guy and knows more than most lifters/coaches I know about powerlifting in general. He's very willing to help lifters at meets (helped me with advice at Seniors to help me get the last 1/2 inch of depth to finally get my last squat in). I'm sure he'll be great to work with if you are a member of his gym. And another thing. You asked for advice and then basically insulted Nick with his suggestion to do DB BPs. Well I guess I'm an idiot too because they are my favorite accessary excercise for bench and my primary pec move. I'll say that before you go to Scot's to train and take advantage of all that knowledge 1st hand, work on being more receptive. I own a PL Gym and coach powerlifters. The quickest way for me to 'drop' a guy is for him to join and ask for coaching and then start telling me why what I'm telling him to do won't work for him. If you get the chance to learn from Scot...don't let that attitude blow it. Take this for what it's worth and good luck.

Dank27
01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
When you get it (license) get to Scot's gym! I don't know who told you bad things about Scot but I've been around him a good bit and he's a great guy and knows more than most lifters/coaches I know about powerlifting in general. He's very willing to help lifters at meets (helped me with advice at Seniors to help me get the last 1/2 inch of depth to finally get my last squat in). I'm sure he'll be great to work with if you are a member of his gym. And another thing. You asked for advice and then basically insulted Nick with his suggestion to do DB BPs. Well I guess I'm an idiot too because they are my favorite accessary excercise for bench and my primary pec move. I'll say that before you go to Scot's to train and take advantage of all that knowledge 1st hand, work on being more receptive. I own a PL Gym and coach powerlifters. The quickest way for me to 'drop' a guy is for him to join and ask for coaching and then start telling me why what I'm telling him to do won't work for him. If you get the chance to learn from Scot...don't let that attitude blow it. Take this for what it's worth and good luck.

A lot of great advice in this reply. Following this advice will not only help you in your lifting but also in life.

Im jealous you have a chance to train with someone like scot. If i had that chance id be all over it. Goodluck

Murderous
01-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I wasn't trying to insult Nick I was talking about the exercise. I don't mean to bring any drama into WBB. For sure I'll give his gym a visit soon after I get my license. As long as gym membership their is priced reasonably I don't see a reason not to train there for even once. The gym I go to is very convenient for me becuase I live 5 mins away by walk and I pay $10 a month, but of course to be the best you have to do what it takes to be the best. I am not calling mastemonster/NickAus an idiot, no disrespect intended, thank you for posts. I think he would possibly help me improve my bench somehow or by the exercises he does, his former coach trains in a single ply Overkill at my gym so I don't think he knows so much about raw lifting as Scot but I'll ask him a few questions next time I see him.

mastermonster
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Murderous; Before I opened Monster Barbell I drove 45 minutes each way to a gym to train with other quality powerlifters. Not just for the knowledge (I knew as much as anybody there), but for the hardcore atmosphere to feed off of. I drove by 2 major commercial gym within 1/2 mile of my house to go there. One of the gyms I drove by even has a powerlifting setup in the back room. But for me, that hardcore feeling wasn't there. The commercial atmosphere started bleeding over to the power room. I trained at the distant gym for 1 year while I got things in order to put my own club together. As far as what Scot's rate are, I don't know. But whatever they are, if you can possibly afford it; go there. You are not just paying for a 'place' to train. You are paying for a chance to learn from some of the greatest lifters (and knowledgable) in the world. I have an unusual setup here. I don't charge a gym fee (at this time). I keep the number of lifters at about 8ish. I don't have a ton of room, but there is a lot of knowledge to be had. I have the building on my property so it's convient for me. Some of my lifters have asked why I don't rent a bigger place and go for more members and make money from what I know. My answer is; nobody could afford what my time is worth to me. I open my gym for my select training partners and young lifters who show a real hunger and some talent and an attitude to learn. I let people 'try out' from time to time. But I don't have a problem with showing someone the door if they are not going to be a productive member of the team. To train here you agree to listen and keep your eyes and ears open for the things you need to know and learn. You load weights, spot, and support your teammates, help put on shirts and suits and DON'T complain or cause drama. You either compete at our meet or you work it, and you lift at meets we decide to compete in unless school or work interferes. If I decide to retire from competition some day and don't need this atmosphere for myself I might change my mind and expand to train clients for money (I'll make it worth my time at that point). Right now it is what I want as it is. A powerlifting 'cave' where me and the other 'gorillas' hang out, train our tails off and learn to get better at what we love and help each other get there. We are mutually beneficial to each other. They need what I know, and I need them there to train like I need to train. I hope that as I pass on what I know to them that they will someday take over and do the same to the next bunch of 'little monsters' to come along. If I can coach some of them to pass my #s and records someday that will be the greatest testiment to me as a coach and teacher. I think you have the same type of mentality just down the road in Scot. I hope you can take advantage of it.

Murderous
01-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Thank you for your wisdom mastermonster really appreciate it. Thanks to all of you people who posted in this thread.

mastermonster
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
You're welcome and I hope you bench a grand someday!

Murderous
01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
You're welcome and I hope you bench a grand someday!Thanks, but I want to go raw so not gonna happen lol.

Murderous
01-02-2012, 05:23 AM
If you live that close to Scot Mendelson's gym - THE BEST RAW BENCHER IN THE WORLD - you are stupid not to train there. That shows me you don't really want to improve. A gym full of guys who train the way you supposedly want to train and you're at a commercial place? And, please don't try to defend yourself to me. Nothing you say will change my mind. Don't waste your time.BTW rhode I hate you a lot, but in a good way, thanks.

muscle_g
01-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I have been getting great results doing Decline Press(w/POR grip) as my exercise on my 2nd bench day of the week. It really builds push power and saves the delts.

Murderous
01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I have been getting great results doing Decline Press(w/POR grip) as my exercise on my 2nd bench day of the week. It really builds push power and saves the delts.Will possibly do those in the soon future. Got so many exercises to do now, thanks.

mastermonster
01-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Will possibly do those in the soon future. Got so many exercises to do now, thanks.

Don't try them all right now. Pick out the 2 that make the most since to you and try them for a while. If they work well stay with those. If not work another one in and one out til you find what works. If you start doing 4 or 5 excercises a workout you'll end up over training. Good luck again!

Murderous
01-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Forgot to mention I also do Half ROM (half way up) UWGBP (hands 1 cm from ends of rack) as this really helps build the chest when my triceps were ever too dominant. Decided to move my progress log to this forum. Thanks for everyone's help.

Ruff Riff
01-03-2012, 08:11 AM
One thing I have learned is you need some REALLY strong tris to bench big weight and a really strong base (back). When I lift at commercial gyms I use movements where I can utilize the rack to spot me? Hand offs and spots from guys who don't know what they are doing can lead to getting hurt. Hard to give any better advice then what has already been given but I will say this, check out some of the training threads on this site. Look at what movements other strong guys are doing. There are some REALLY big raw numbers on this site. Look at what guys like Vince and Travis are doing, both have huge raw benches. If you want to get strong like the strong guys then you need to be doing what strong guys are doing? Hope that makes sense, through trial and error you will find different movements that seem to work "better" for you and ones that you don't seem to get as much out of. I have been taught that if I am not getting something out of a movement I am mosts likely doing it wrong. Most times letting my ego talk me into grabbing heavier weights for DB rolls or tates then what I really need and then getting ugly on the form (for example). After some time training you will learn what movements you are better at than others, what I mean is I have learned to do the movements I am the weakest at, those are usually my weak points in my bench as well. It is easy to do movements that you like or you are good at. Make it hard.........then make it harder..........then make it harder. Then see where you end up? Good luck young man. You are on the right site and getting access to some SERIOUSLY STRONG people to follow and model your workouts!