PDA

View Full Version : General ketosis question...

Morox
12-30-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm giving ketosis a try but something is confusing me. I'm eating under 30g of carbs a day right now but from my understanding, I should allow one cheat meal a week to carb up? Wouldn't this throw me out of ketosis since ketosis takes a few days to kick in? I don't understand this...

Allen Cress
12-30-2011, 12:50 PM
If your doing a Keto diet and your in full ketosis, which usually takes about 2 weeks then one day of carbs will not switch that off. You would have to incorporate at least 2 days of carbs to stay out of pure ketosis. THis would be just a fat based diet and not a keto diet. I wouldn't use a keto diet unless your pretty lean trying to get that last bit of fat off. Otherwise always incorporate carbs at some point during the week.

Morox
12-30-2011, 01:08 PM
If your doing a Keto diet and your in full ketosis, which usually takes about 2 weeks then one day of carbs will not switch that off. You would have to incorporate at least 2 days of carbs to stay out of pure ketosis. THis would be just a fat based diet and not a keto diet. I wouldn't use a keto diet unless your pretty lean trying to get that last bit of fat off. Otherwise always incorporate carbs at some point during the week.

I'm at the end of my bulk. From what I read, a lot of people use this method for cutting, do they not? Also, would the one day of carbs need to be strictly healthy carbs or can it be in the form of a 'cheat' with some sweets?

Alex.V
12-30-2011, 02:33 PM
If you're in true ketosis, you do not need to carb up, nor would you benefit from it in any way. You also should not be craving carbs of any sort.

That said, I wouldn't waste my time with a ketogenic diet unless you have a hard time sticking to any other form of cutting diet.

Morox
12-30-2011, 04:10 PM
If you're in true ketosis, you do not need to carb up, nor would you benefit from it in any way. You also should not be craving carbs of any sort.

That said, I wouldn't waste my time with a ketogenic diet unless you have a hard time sticking to any other form of cutting diet.

The reason I am trying it IS because I had a hard time sticking to anything else. I've only been doing this so far for a few days and it's been easy so far. Any of my sweet cravings is diminished after consuming a zero carb/sugar whey with some almond milk! Why do people carb up if there's no benefit to it?

Alex.V
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Argument is that your glycogen needs replenishing regardless, otherwise your ability to engage in any serious lifting (or high intensity exercise) is diminished.

Truth be told, the "science" behind a CKD is incredibly suspect- forget the carb up unless your workouts are truly going to hell. That'd be my advice.

Morox
01-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Argument is that your glycogen needs replenishing regardless, otherwise your ability to engage in any serious lifting (or high intensity exercise) is diminished.

Truth be told, the "science" behind a CKD is incredibly suspect- forget the carb up unless your workouts are truly going to hell. That'd be my advice.

Yeah, I thought I'd throw out the carb up day unless I became very weak. I'm about 5 days into this diet and so far I feel great. I'd imagine the first week would be the rough patch as your body needs to adjust to this type of diet but so far so good!

Alex.V
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear it! Just stick to the diet, and generally as a rule don't change things that seem to be working. :)

aormz
01-04-2012, 04:36 AM
I would definitely carb up. One reason is Glycogen, repair. I guess if you are doing a low resistance workout (walking) you do not necessarily need to repair much. Seems to me if you are busting your *ss, you're going to need to have atleast 1 day of the week where your body can fully restore itself. Next reason is if you plan on eating carbs after this diet I'm sure it would be a good idea to actually implement some while you're on it. I guess if you have a load day it would be considered a Cyclic Ketosis Diet, which is more practical because honestly eating no carbs (under 30) for over a week seems a little much. Plus it will make you feel alot better about the days you actually get to eat them :)

Allen Cress
01-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Make sure you are gettting in enough good fat sources also. Things like extra virgin olive oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, almonds, walnuts, natural almond butter

Shark
01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Belial is right, there really is no reason to carb up unless your workouts really start to suffer. That being said, keto is not an optimal program anyway for someone who wants to perform at a top level in the gym so I imagine you just want to lose some body fat and you're not religious about your lifting. It should work fine for you overall.

Morox
01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
It's been about 10 days and I have been very strict. Ive had to up one loop in my belt since it was becoming too loose. The weird thing about this is that I haven't lost any weight though. I can't imagine I've been losing fat and gaining muscle to preserve the same weight in just 10 days, can I? That doesn't seem possible. I don't know what's going on...