PDA

View Full Version : Is my back too rounded?

kingns
01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I have struggled for a long time w my dl and my lockout. I found out my main problem was I start the pull to hunched over, which puts me in a terrible position to lock out weights. I have the problem w squats too, but feel like I am correcting it on squats. Heres a video of todays DL's. The reps felt awful but still is a pretty good representation of my form I think. Thanks for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfH35Dah9eQ&feature=plcp&context=C3d13ebfUDOEgsToPDskJOgOa5TlMmEJR96hBQ1mdJ

April Mathis
01-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Keep your chest up more at the start and try to look up more. It may not be easy to do. It took me a year to get that part better.

mastermonster
01-02-2012, 09:01 PM
+1 with April. Also get some chucks or deadlift slippers to get as low to the floor and heels down as possible. Try to get in the mind set of sitting down to the bar more than bending down to it. Good luck.

barryisawinnah
01-03-2012, 07:45 AM
well doing a deficit dead (even though it is not a big deficit) is just going to add to the problem

Niko_El_Piko
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I agree with the three comments. It seems like your arenīt setting up correctly. Get your chest out and isometrically contract your spinal erectors to get a tight lower back.
And your are hyper extending at lockout. No need to.

Good luck!

ehubbard
01-03-2012, 08:14 AM
One other thing I would add is you seem to hyperextend at the top. I would avoid doing this as this may cause some issues down the road, if they aren't already.

RhodeHouse
01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
You seem to be in a rush. Slow down! Your back is just fine.

1. Get your head up
2. Arch your back ahrd before you pull
3. Get the bar closer to your shins. The first movement the bar makes is back toward your body, not straight up.
4. Stop that ridiculous hyperextension/hip thrust you do at the top. Save that for your girlfriend
5. Like what was said above, get some real shoes

ScottYard
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
You seem to be in a rush. Slow down! Your back is just fine.

1. Get your head up
2. Arch your back ahrd before you pull
3. Get the bar closer to your shins. The first movement the bar makes is back toward your body, not straight up.
4. Stop that ridiculous hyperextension/hip thrust you do at the top. Save that for your girlfriend
5. Like what was said above, get some real shoes

I agree. No need to waste thrusts LOL

theBarzeen
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Like most have said above.... chest up, head up...

... and flat soled shoes, not even for the stability, but because the heels pitch you forward. You can see that you are in a better position to pull on your reps, but you are slower on your first rep. I'd suggest that when you grab the bar to rock back to your heels before beginning your leg drive.

Good luck.

kingns
01-03-2012, 10:32 PM
im gonna video next weeks session w my chucks instead of these shoes, and from the floor instead of on a plate. Thanks for the suggestions. And i swear im not hyperextending Im just flexing my glutes! But ya I know the deficit makes it harder but thats the point and I wear wrestling shoes at a meet but wearing crappy shoes was just another way to make the training harder. I didnt realize it was that bad until I saw all these comments!

RhodeHouse
01-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Watch the video - you are hyperextending. There's a huge difference between flexing your glutes and whatever it is you're doing. When you finish a pull you should be standing straight up and down. You lean way back - hyperextending.

kingns
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
i guess i had no idea i was until I put that video up. thats why you video lifts i suppose

Dammsilly
01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
It's difficult to tell with the plate obstructing the view and your baggy shorts, but it looks like you're not locking your knees at the top, if at all. The hyper-extension may just be unlocking you knees, but it appears that they're never really there in the first place. Think about snapping your knees locked as you're bringing the weight up, before you squeeze your glutes. Remember to keep the bar close and with locked knees you'll find it easier to complete the lift without leaning back.

Plus those five things listed above that RhodeHouse said, plus what Barzeen said, it's not as simple as it looks. :)