PDA

View Full Version : Orange and Whey for Post-Workout?

ions
05-30-2002, 05:29 PM
I've been eating an Orange within 15 minutes after working out and then after another 10-15 minutes I take a serving of Whey. The idea is to take advantage of the "anabolic window" I've heard of. Is that what I'm doing or am I screwing up?

Clark
05-30-2002, 05:35 PM
you should be having the protein and carbs as soon as you're done in the gym, and fruit is not a good choice for sugars post-workout. they take much too long to digest, and you want fast digesting (and therefore fast absorbing) foods postworkout.

NateDogg
05-30-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ions
I've been eating an Orange within 15 minutes after working out and then after another 10-15 minutes I take a serving of Whey. The idea is to take advantage of the "anabolic window" I've heard of. Is that what I'm doing or am I screwing up?

The method seems correct, as I too have heard a lot about this "anabolic window." However, I agree with Clark on the fruit. Go for something with dextrose, personally I eat "Smarties." Two packs of those = 50 grams of dextrose and malodextrin. Have had great results while doing this.

ND

ions
05-30-2002, 10:27 PM
Hmmm "Smarties" are different on this side of the border I think. I'm guessing you're not talking about the candy covered chocolate mini frisbees but the little chalky discs?

I have my post workout meal as soon as I get home from the gym which is at most 15 minutes so it doesn't take too long to get to it.

NateDogg
05-31-2002, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by ions
Hmmm "Smarties" are different on this side of the border I think. I'm guessing you're not talking about the candy covered chocolate mini frisbees but the little chalky discs?

I have my post workout meal as soon as I get home from the gym which is at most 15 minutes so it doesn't take too long to get to it.

The little chalky discs, sorry about that!

ions
05-31-2002, 12:55 PM
No problem - 2 packs of Canadian Smarties would be a quick way to gain fat though :)

What size packs are you eating? I looked in the bulk foods section and there are several different sizes available.