PDA

View Full Version : At what rate should one aim at losing weight?

Hung Wellington
01-04-2012, 02:37 AM
I like to adjust my diet by watching my weight, and in that respect I have a quick question: At what rate would you recommend loosing weight when you are dieting down?

Also, what's a reasonable expectation for how long it would take to go from 15% bf to 10% bf?

tom183
01-04-2012, 03:42 AM
What's your starting weight? Is 15% your current bodyfat percentage?

Hung Wellington
01-04-2012, 04:52 AM
My weight is 85kg (=187 lbs) on an empty stomach. I'm 190cm (=6'3) tall, so that's pretty small. 15% is a guess. I had a couple of at least somewhat experienced people guess me to be in the range 13-15, so I chose the most conservative estimate. Ultimately I will go by how I look in the mirror, not measuring bf%, but I figured having some idea on the time-frame it would take to go from 15 to 10 might help me set some reasonable plan.

If you're wondering what a skinny guy is doing cutting, the plan is eventually to gain of course, I'm just considering the prospect of spending a few months cutting down first.

Shark
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
At your current stats you should be able to lose body fat while you start to put on lean mass. If I were you I would start working out (with weights) on a consistent basis and just clean up your caloric intake and eat at a maintenance level. Your body with start to change and you will see positive results in size, strength, and how you look in the mirror over your first 3-6 months.

Behemoth
01-04-2012, 06:25 PM
As slow as you can tolerate. Period.

What so many dieters don't understand about a diet is that when you finish one, that maintaining your new weight won't be all that different from the diet itself if done properly. You can't just diet, lose the weight, and be done with it. You'll rebound. So best to start now and practice the lifestyle/diet that you will later maintain your new weight with. That lifestyle/diet will also get you to that point from here, and at a rate that in the end will be sustainable.

Hung Wellington
01-04-2012, 07:37 PM

What so many dieters don't understand about a diet is that when you finish one, that maintaining your new weight won't be all that different from the diet itself if done properly. You can't just diet, lose the weight, and be done with it. You'll rebound. So best to start now and practice the lifestyle/diet that you will later maintain your new weight with. That lifestyle/diet will also get you to that point from here, and at a rate that in the end will be sustainable.

Interesting. Could you give some guiding "rule of thumb" though, just to give me some idea of what to aim for? I'm pretty new at this. I mean "as slow as I can tolerate" ultimately means maintaining, since I could easily tolerate that if I thought it was the smartest thing to do. I've lost weight at a rate of 1kg/month previously, which I felt was pretty slow.

With my stats would you recommend dieting down or maintaining as Shark says? Or gaining? What would you aim for?

I'll post a pic to make it easier to say something about this:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6617868591_095503ec8e.jpg

PS: I have successfully lost weight and hit a target goal within a pre-planned time-frame previously. I've probably never been beneath 12% bf though.

Hung Wellington
01-05-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm going to go for maintaining/a very moderate deficit. Thanks guys.

Behemoth
01-05-2012, 04:19 AM
I'm going to go for maintaining/a very moderate deficit. Thanks guys.

Sounds like a great plan. You're really not fat, just have ackward distribution as so many of us do. Obviously from a bodybuilding perspective you could get opinions to bulk or cut, but it really comes makes and/or keeps you most comfortable in your own skin. Short of competition that's all it is really all about after all isn't it?

The maintaining/very moderate deficit was the gist of what I perhaps less than eloquently was suggesting in my prior post. If you're not far from the weight you desire to be then simply eating the amount that would maintain that weight will slowly get you there and then keep you there. But it sounds like you already knew this.

Good luck on the short journey you have to go and keep us posted share your future goals and progress as well, perhaps even start a journal in the journal section if you haven't already.

K-R-M
01-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Great post. That said, I've found that maintaining 7-9% to be very easy, but everyone's genetics are different.

Hung Wellington
01-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Good luck on the short journey you have to go and keep us posted share your future goals and progress as well, perhaps even start a journal in the journal section if you haven't already.

I'll do just that! Advice on my workout regimen is more than welcome as well of course.

Mr Shadow
01-06-2012, 05:25 AM
This question really depends on the person. The leaner you already are, the less aggressive you want to be with your calorie restriction. The fatter you are, the more you can get away with, so to speak.

Personally, looking at your picture I think you have no business slimming down. You're already a twig and I think you should put some meat on your bones first. But its your body, not mine, so do what makes you happy.

orinkhan
01-08-2012, 07:26 AM
it depends on how you will choose your steps. i suggest to lose 3-4 lbs per week. go to gym and avoid fat. just gradually lose your weight.

Behemoth
01-08-2012, 08:51 AM
it depends on how you will choose your steps. i suggest to lose 3-4 lbs per week. go to gym and avoid fat. just gradually lose your weight.
This is pass poor advice, I hope this is just spam...

Hung Wellington
02-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Update: In 9 weeks I lost a little over 5kgs (and gained some strength). Result:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7062/6930071551_171d0efdf6.jpg

I guess I was expecting even less belly fat at this weight, but fuck it, I can't stand getting any smaller than this. So follow up question would ofc be how fast should one gain? :) I know there's a lot of different opinions on this tho. I'm thinking a slow pace at something like 1kg/month?