PDA

View Full Version : question for those of you who compete raw

t gale
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
At what week would you take your opener? what type of %'s do you find work best for you the last few weeks before a meet.

Phyde2
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I will generally take my squat and bench openers two weeks out with a full week of rest before the meet. Deadlift usually the same but some times a week earlier depending on how i am feeling and how fast the weight is moving.

As far as peaking goes i have had a sit down with michael hales (old school single ply lifter) and he has told me to start at 2x8 9 weeks out and slowly work to 2x1 two weeks out. When choosing numbers i start at my opener for the singles then work backwards. Percentage wise i have no clue really.

My next meet my be different since i am out of north georgia barbell and i am working with jon groves now.

Hope this is what you were looking for?

Travis Bell
01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
i never use percentages or whatever. I know what my opener is based upon what I did the previous meet and how my training has gone.

I just open at whatever is fairly easy to hit but still within a reasonable jump to my second attempt.

t gale
01-05-2012, 11:57 AM
thx Phyde2, yeah that's pretty good stuff. a little different than what i have been doing, but as far as opener date that's what i was thinking. 2 weeks out. also travis thanks. alot of guys go by feel i guess.

ScottYard
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
2 weeks is fine. Just stay away from.max singles a month out.

Mr Shadow
01-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Good question Op.

vdizenzo
01-06-2012, 05:49 AM
For raw, I think you can take your opener one week out. It should be a number so easy you could double it even if your liftoff guy drops it on you. Your training those last couple of weeks is really dependent upon what type of program you are following.

For my current block training cycle I will doing the following going into the meet:
Week 4 90-95% for 1-4 sets of 1 rep
Week 3 92-100% for 1-4 sets of 1 rep
Week 2 Deload TBD
Week 1 Meet

RhodeHouse
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't use percentages, either. I like to handle my opener and usually my 2nd attempt multiple times in training. At a month out, my training usually looks like this:

4 weeks - Opener and 2nd (by feel)
3 Weeks - Opener
2 weeks - last warm-up
1 week - Something very light - maybe 60% or so
Meet

I usually feel very confident going into the meet using this plan.

This next meet I'l be doing things a little differently as far as programming goes, so this may change. But, it's worked well so far.

t gale
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Vinny and Matt. last week i hit max double. while the second wasn't a grind it was close. this is first cycle where i haven't included a max single. so my main problem with training schedule was this week. 3 weeks out. next week will be my opener but this week i'm lost. I hit max double last week in squat and bench

April Mathis
01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I would do either a heavy single straight weight (but not max), or do a heavy single with accomodating resistance where the top of the lift is as heavy or moreso than planned 3rd attempts but the bottom is only 70-80%. The latter I have liked better more recently. and especially because you said that you just did a max double, so it still keeps the weight heavy (and actually heavier through a part of the range of motion), but is less taxing on the CNS than taking another heavy straight weight lift. I assume that would be better because you are already competing at a high level. Also, taking an opener the week after should feel lighter to you by doing this and then a week off.

t gale
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey thank you April. That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Brian Hopper
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Tim, here is what I did on the last 4 weeks. I was also doing 3/5/1, but this worked out great for me.

Week 4- 3's plus two singles
Week 3- 5's
Week 2- 5/3/1 plus last warmup and opener
Week 1- Meet

This is what I plan on doing for my next meet.