PDA

View Full Version : Incline bench

Bosshogg300
01-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Ok I have always done inclines on a smith machine I have and it's a 45 lb bar granted its guided, but do think it still has carry over for bench if I use it as my main lift on max days, I just don't like the way regular incline benchs make my shoulder feel

drew
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I would use it as an accessory only and not for a main lift. There are so many other options for a main lift, anything on a Machine is probably a bad idea. If incline bench hurts your shoulder, you should get it checked out to see if there is a problem, and you should do some rotator cuff strengthening if it's needed (which it probably is).

April Mathis
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
It would be better to do that as an assistance lift. It could still be somewhat useful that way, but not as a main lift as said above. Also you could set up an adjustable incline bench in a power rack and try different heights if you haven't already. A slightly different angle may feel better.

Niko_El_Piko
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I think using a Smith machine is a bad idea.
I agree with April; I work my incline on a rather low angle, like 20.

Travis Bell
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
A smith machine as a max effort movement is certainly not going to transfer over to your raw bench much at all in comparison to the plethora of other movements you could be doing.

Tom Mutaffis
01-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Ok I have always done inclines on a smith machine I have and it's a 45 lb bar granted its guided, but do think it still has carry over for bench if I use it as my main lift on max days, I just don't like the way regular incline benchs make my shoulder feel

Most smith machine bars actually weigh 12.5 or 15 lbs, but either way I would try to work with free weights and free weight variations whenever possible. Have you tried dumbbells? Or possibly some reverse band incline work to take some of the pressure off your shoulders at the bottom of the movement?

RhodeHouse
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
As mentioned above, try using different angles on an adjustable bench. The other thing I do is to mess with my grip width. As of late, I've found that using my middle finger on the ring with a notch higher incline than an incline becj has helped myshoulder pain. Another overlooked aspect is your grip. I use the suicide grip. This takes a ton of stress off my shoulders. Oddly, the regular grip hurts me, but not when I bench.

Play with grips, widths and angles. The Smith Machine should be used for 3 things.

1. Push-ups
2. Fat Man Pull-ups
3. A great place to store your belts, wraps and miscellaneous stuff you have at the gym.

Bosshogg300
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Ok thank you everyone for the input it was helpful, I'm am just trying to figure out how I want to attack my weak point off the chest with my max movements I have been doing 2 boards & 1 boards , and I plan on doing floor press still and maybe close grip, do you guys think it is bad to do board press multiple weeks in a row like 4 weeks in a row..then hit a raw bench for my max day then go back and cycle my main lifts agian

April Mathis
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Ok thank you everyone for the input it was helpful, I'm am just trying to figure out how I want to attack my weak point off the chest with my max movements I have been doing 2 boards & 1 boards , and I plan on doing floor press still and maybe close grip, do you guys think it is bad to do board press multiple weeks in a row like 4 weeks in a row..then hit a raw bench for my max day then go back and cycle my main lifts agian

How is 4 weeks of board pressing going to help you improve strength off the chest if that is your weak point? If you were weak in the mid-range or lockout, board pressing is more useful, or just occasionally or after full-range work otherwise to get acclimated to more weight.

Strength off the chest:
bench using cambered bench bar
wide-grip bench
regular bench
incline/shoulder pressing (or other shoulder work)
heavy upper back work (lats/traps)
db benching flat or incline
paused benching
dead press (a.k.a pin press) from chest height
sometimes a floor press or decline bench helps for some people

kingns
01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
actually if your weak off the chest a 1 bd will help, as long as you pause and dont just crash into it

K Y L E
01-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Most smith machine bars actually weigh 12.5 or 15 lbs, but either way I would try to work with free weights and free weight variations whenever possible. Have you tried dumbbells? Or possibly some reverse band incline work to take some of the pressure off your shoulders at the bottom of the movement?

This.
If you have shoulder problems free weight exercises definitely help. If you're looking for something to strengthen your rotators cuff do a couple sets of DB scarecrows.

RhodeHouse
01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree with April. The best way to get better at something is to do it. I've used this anaolgy before, and I must say, it's good.

If a QB needs to get better athrowing the Out Route, he throws thousands of Out Routes. If you need to get better off the chest, becnh.

This is where people get way too caught up in the fancy Westside exercises. Most have no idea which ones actually work. They just throw them in with no rhyme or reason more than, "Because ... said they help...."