PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone! Coming back to serious weightlifting, need help with routine

BFGUITAR
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone. Some of you might remember me from back in the day... for those who do, hello!

I got quite busy with school and life for the past while and havent been taking my weightlifting seriously... life happens. But now I want to seriously get back in to it.

So here is the deal... graduate school sucks the life out of me. It is to the point that it consumes me and require help staying connected to myself (I have been doing some reading and plan on going to counselling to help deal with the stress). Because of all this, I do not have as much time as I would like to work out. I found this routine online and wanted to know your opinions.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/2_times_a_week_for_twice_the_gains

I was planning on doing the biceps and triceps for 3 reps of 10-15 as opposed to what is says there. What do you guys think?

As well, I plan on jogging twice a week (I am making it a new hobby of mine). I also wanted to know what I can do at home to help with strength/building muscle on off days... perhaps some bodyweight exercises?

If you are curious about my lifts... I havent been to the gym in about a month and a bit, but before that I have been able to deadlift 4 plates for a single (double if its a good day), squat 285 for 5, and bench 195 for 5 (my bench is variable... sometimes its a lot more, but I am being safe with my estimate.

Edit: Ah I forgot to add what my goals are! The most important part of it all! Well, powerlifting is something I really want to get back in to. The two competitions I went to were fantastic and would liek to participate again. However, weightlifting twice a week might not be the way to get there :(. Powerlifting is still a thought, but my goal is to look good (as best I can), and feel good. I am dealing with a lot in my life right now and so those two things are of utmost importance.

theBarzeen
01-07-2012, 03:38 PM
If you are that new I'd recommend finding a team to help you out. It sounds like you have a good start but...

If a routine includes biceps anything it's not much of a powerlifting routine.

My team does something completely different, but lots of new guys seem to do well with 5/3/1 or starting strength. If you want to powerlift find a routine specifically for powerlifting.... preferably written by someone you know has done something in this sport.

Brian C
01-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Like Barzeen mentioned, a program like 5/3/1 would be perfect for your circumstance. All the percentages are set for you and you have a solid plan walking into the gym. If you only have 2 days to train, the combine days and squat/deadlift on one, and bench/oh press on the other. Keep it simple.

mastermonster
01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
5-3-1 is very good. All of our non-masters lifters are on it and have made awesome progress for over a year now.