PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's all I think about

vdizenzo
01-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Does anyone else sometimes get completely consumed by thinking about their training? I guess perhaps it's becuase I have a goal I have failed at yet really want to accomplish. I am constantly thinking about training and all that goes into it, recovery, sleep, nutrition, supplemenation, etc. I think I need a meeting.

kingns
01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
its good to think about it, i know some ppl that dont but any thought into it, but a lot of ppl (myself included) overthink it all, which isnt productive either.

Travis Bell
01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I have it a little easier probably because my job is being in a gym all day long. So as I'm writing up programs for all my athletes, often times things will cross my mind about my own training. however when I'm at home I don't really think about training too much at all. Otherwise I find my mind gets over worked and i lose my edge

vdizenzo
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I am glad I put this up. I need to find a worthwhile distraction so my mind does not get consumed and cause myself undue stress.

Rob Luyando
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Vincent, Paul "Bencher8" Key has this problem as well. He is so consumed with his training. In my opinion he puts way to much thought into it. I get numberous texts and phone calls from him about his training. He often asks for advice but rarely follows my advice till a year later then he tries to say it was his idea.

There is nothing worse then failure. But I find spending to much time thinking and planning what I'm going to do for training makes me loose interest. I pretty much decide what my goals are for the training cycle are at the beginning. Then my weekly goals or schedules are fly by night. I keep 4 weeks as my limit then the 5th has to be a deload wether I need one or not.

I let Kiefer take care of my diet and nutrtion plan so I don't have to worry about it. Sleep is a must 8 to 9 hrs for me. Icing and stretching is also a must. I will use Chiropractic care and ART Therapy as a precaution as needed.

You need to have a little boy. Trust me tons of fun and takes your mind off lifting.

Alex.V
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Other thing- Nobody ever wants to take their eye off the prize, but if you spend all your training time focusing on a single goal, ask yourself if you could deal if it was taken away again. Need to find other things to focus on, if for no other reason than to give yourself some smaller successes along the way.

Nothing wrong with being focused and refusing to accept nothing less than your full potential, but if you put blinders on, you're putting all your eggs in one basket. And shit happens, man. One of my buddies was training for a podium spot at IM arizona and got wiped the fuck out by a car a month out. Changes your priorities.

I'd say, yeah, find something else that you can focus on with intensity. Not saying compromise any of the shit you're doing now, but you can still give 100% if you spend 50% less time focused on it.

ScottYard
01-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I consolidate my thinking. I'll obsess non stop for a week or two then once I map it out I go Into auto pilot for the cycle. Once the meets over I start over.

Phyde2
01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Yea, even when I am not thinking about training and programming I am studying the material because I am an Exercise Health Science major. I catch myself thinking of ways to incorporate my biomechanics classes and everything. Throw into that a varying degree of muscle dysmorphia and its the perfect cocktail for pseudo-obsessions in the iron game.

theBarzeen
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm right there with you..... it's a nice distraction from the 99 problems that usually are on my mind between finances, work, and whatever else is taking up real estate in my head.

NickAus
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I have found putting effort and thinking time into other areas of my life has in turn made my training more productive.

Guess what I mean is now that money etc is not such an issue and I am not worried about where my career is going I can focus on training.

And yeah I think about my training a lot, at work I jot down ideas though out the day in a note pad all the time ha ha.

Lones Green
01-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Travis posted about burning out mentally a long time ago, and that's something I successfully avoid now. You really can burn out and lose your edge.

Jonathan E
01-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Three words:

Get a guitar.

JK1
01-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Does anyone else sometimes get completely consumed by thinking about their training? I guess perhaps it's becuase I have a goal I have failed at yet really want to accomplish. I am constantly thinking about training and all that goes into it, recovery, sleep, nutrition, supplemenation, etc. I think I need a meeting.

Nah, it is normal. I am the same way... break every thing down by every little detail and then try to figure out how to tweak it here, fix it there. My wife says she knows I have a meet coming up because all I talk about is training and food.... and food and training.

JK1
01-14-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm right there with you..... it's a nice distraction from the 99 problems that usually are on my mind between finances, work, and whatever else is taking up real estate in my head.

That is the deal with me too. There is so much shit with everything else outside of the gym, the gym becomes the area of solitude. So I get stressed, I think about training.

chris mason
01-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I would say training and sex most definitely consume a lot of my thoughts...

JasonLift
01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I would say training and sex most definitely consume a lot of my thoughts...

Those things don't have to be mutually exclusive, sex after all is a great form of cardio...

RhodeHouse
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I used to waste a tremendous amount of time thinking about training. Probably wasted 3-4 years of my life worrying about lifting weights. Looking back, it probably helped me get to the point where I am today with my training. I do think about it, but it really is that complicated. If you have a program, go do it.

Last night was a perfect example of you're "overthinking" of things, in my opinion. It was a deload week for you, but things felt shitty. They're supposed to. It's a NEEDED deload. Your body is beat up. You should feel shitty. You're doing more work than you've ever done.

Everything on block tells you that you're ego is going to get hurt and your body beaten up. Even if you don't want that to happen - don't want the weight to feel heavy - it's going to. That's the nature of the beast with this training.

Back on track, the best thing I've done is care less about my eating, care less about my training. By care, I think I mean don't think about it, but if you ask me, I'll probably say that I just don't care. And, that's why it's so damn fun for me right now. Even Josh can't derail me with his Josh-ness.

As I look back on my athletic career, I never worried too much about it. I just tried to practice and prepare as best I could. If I follow the plan (in this case, the plan that Brian wrote up) there's nothing for me to worry about. I'm doing the work.

I can't and won't waste my time thinking about training anymore. Brian is my personal program designer, now. All I have to do is follow the plan.

RhodeHouse
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Oh yeah, like Chris said, SEX!

Sensei
01-14-2012, 08:26 PM
When I was younger, I'd be consumed w. sports performance.

Now, the only time I get consumed w. lifting is when I'm holding on a little too tight (work or family stress, illness, etc.).

SELK
01-14-2012, 09:00 PM
If I am close to a meet I am thinking about it more, but if there is no meet for 8 or so weeks then its hardly crossing my mind unless I get bored and end up on here or other powerlifting sites. I overthink most things so I put in an effort not too. One of the reasons I liked powerlifting to start with was that I thought it was a very simple sport, train hard, eat correctly and have good technique and you will progress. Now I don't think of it as a simple sport anymore, but I try to have the same mentality.

mastermonster
01-14-2012, 09:12 PM
At my age I'm just glad I'm still training so I can obsess about it! Yeah, I spend a huge part of my day thinking about it. I try doing other things sometimes to balance it out but I'll be at the pistol range or on the river fishing.....and still be thinking about training or competing!

April Mathis
01-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I want to think about training a lot. Unfortunately other things that suck in life like working get in the way some of the time. I don't really worry about training or having any kind of plan at all until close to a meet though. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm doing that day till I start lifting when not close to a meet.

JasonLift
01-14-2012, 11:58 PM
I do tend to think about it all the time. I am constantly reading books or articles and constantly analyzing every detail of my training. I am not sure it helps at all, if anything it leads me to second guessing myself and wanting to change minute details every time I have an outcome I don't like. Hell I even find myself wanting to change things up even when I am hitting PR's which is kind of dumb.

It doesn't help that my new wife is involved in bodybuilding and I got her into powerlifting so it is just nonstop. I am thinking about my training, her training, nutrition, everything.

joey54
01-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Nice post by Rhodes and some of the others.

shocker4221
01-15-2012, 08:37 AM
I do the same thing and it drives my wife crazy. It's training this or training that. In my spare time i'm either reading about training or talking about it. I get the feeling like every single exercise and rep has to be perfect for me to make the training session beneficial. Then I start to think about if I should have done more or something other than what I did. I think my problem is that I'm still new to PLing and I want to learn as much as possible to achieve my goals.

joey54
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I do the same thing and it drives my wife crazy. It's training this or training that. In my spare time i'm either reading about training or talking about it. I get the feeling like every single exercise and rep has to be perfect for me to make the training session beneficial. Then I start to think about if I should have done more or something other than what I did. I think my problem is that I'm still new to PLing and I want to learn as much as possible to achieve my goals.

That's a fair exchange for listening to how much smarter your wife is than everyone else at her work and/or her friends.

SEOINAGE
01-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I know I obsess at times and train hard and don't at others. I know it can be frustrating for some, especially in the case of my father in law with how much weight he has lost, driving everyone crazy hearing his every day comments about it, it never ends.

My personal question for people here that have said they obsess pick a protocol and design and stick with it and kind of just go through it without obsessing over it. What if I design something I should be able to handle but am really sore? and the first couple weeks having hard time with recovery. This is my issue lately, do I move a training day back, or just push through the pain and have a less effective session? I'm trying to address the issue at hand, but in the mean time should i build up to my somewhat rigid and planned training protocol, or just stick with it and hope i adapt?

drew
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
I find it's much worse when I'm deloading or,like now, when I'm injured or rehabbing an injury. If I'm not moving weight and doing everything that I know I could be doing I start getting really focused on planning and new gear and numbers and when I can start going heavier. If I'm cruising along with training and everything is going well I don't really think about it much.

GazzyG
01-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Always thinking about it - but I'm an obsessive person anyway.

My mrs gets a bit peed off, I think, by how often I'm saying 'I'm gonna try this at the gym tonight, 'wonder if I can get this PR' etc

Don't think you're alone in this, haha.

Jonathan E
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I find it's much worse when I'm deloading or,like now, when I'm injured or rehabbing an injury.

Cant tell how hard it is with an injury...I've been dealing with chronic hamstring issues and it can be extremely stressful at times. Especially when your training for a thing like football.