PDA

View Full Version : Mark Bell's Slingshot

Brian Hopper
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I was just wondering for those lifters here that use it, how do you like it and have you seen some increase in your raw bench from using it?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the red and blue one?

ThomasG
01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I use it and love it. My sticking point is around 1.5-2brd and it helped a lot. The blue one is the reactive slingshot(less support) and red one is the original sling shot. There is also black one in case you didn't know.

Brian Hopper
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I use it and love it. My sticking point is around 1.5-2brd and it helped a lot. The blue one is the reactive slingshot(less support) and red one is the original sling shot. There is also black one in case you didn't know.

Yeah, I believe the black one is double ply. So I guess the blue one would be better for a raw lifter?

ThomasG
01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I'd say the Red and Blue are both great for raw lifters I have no experience with the blue one. I've never maxed straight weight with the slingshot but I'd guess the original adds about 40lbs to my bench.

Zac Whalen
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
I've got one, and honestly hardly if ever use it. IMO, it is great if your pecs are beat up to take some strain off the bottom of the lift. Otherwise, for overload I'll shirt up, or if i want to stay raw I'll use reverse bands. My training partner Jim has some pec issues that hes working through, and it has worked great for him to keep handling weights that he wouldn't be able to otherwise.

JK1
01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
I was just wondering for those lifters here that use it, how do you like it and have you seen some increase in your raw bench from using it?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the red and blue one?

Brian, we have all the slingshots in my gym for different lifters and I use both the regular and the maddog on a regular basis. I've talked to Mark more than once about them and their use and we've played around with them since the original prototypes came out a couple of years ago (I still have a couple of those to and a couple of the lifters I train with still use them).

Just to keep is simple there are 3 slingshots being made right now:

blue = Reactive Slingshot---this is a 'lighter weight' stretchier material slingshot. It doesn't take as much weight to touch the chest with this particular slingshot. This is the one that my wife uses when she uses one. She's about a 160 raw bencher right now, but a bigger bencher can use it without any problems. It is a good one to use if you want just a little support for the elbows or are nursing an injury.

Red= Slingshot. This is the regular one. A lighter bencher (ie someone under 205-225) may not be able to get the weight down without struggling a bit depending on their build. My wife can use this one, but she prefers not too. It causes some shoulder rotation as a result of having to pull against it so hard to touch the chest. As her bench gets stronger, we will use this one more and more. This one will work for the average bencher and is strong enough to give support for heavy raw work. i've used it up over 500 without a problem at all.

Black= maddog slingshot. This is the 'heavy duty' slingshot. it is a thicker material so it will give you a bit more "pop" off the chest but with the design, the lockout power needed is about the same as a regular slingshot. I say that and also say it depends a bit on how you set the slingshot to get it to work correctly. This one is really designed for those benching a lot heavier weights.

I have gotten to the point as my shirted bench gets stronger and stronger, I use a slingshot pretty much every shirt workout. I warm up to around 365-400 for a few reps raw, then put on the slingshot and go somethign in the mid 400s then something mid 500s then put on shirt and start in the shirt in the low 600's. This approach really, really seems to save my elbows and shoulders and I have a bit more in me when I get the weight heavy in the shirt vs warming up totally raw.

We also use them for pure ME days--- slingshot for max bench or reverse band work where we hit a raw max, then put the slingshot on for 2-3 more sets. This seems to carry over well with my shirted bench.

One note with the slingshot. If you have a person with really long arms and a broader, flatter chest, the slingshot will have to be pulled up alot more to suit them. My wife has that type of build. She puts on her reactive slinshot so the elbow part is just about over the point of her elbow. She says this setup is one that feels as if there is no rotation in her shoulders and she gets something from the slingshot. I on the other hand am short armed and barrel chested. I wear it lower on my arms with the point of my elbow actually above the opening in the elbow sleeve.

ThomasG
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Interesting I can touch to the chest with just the bar no problem with the red slingshot. I didn't know people struggled to touch in a slingshot considering you can use them for pushups and dips.

Rob Luyando
01-15-2012, 08:16 PM
The Sling Shot is a great assistance tool. I use both the Mad Dog and Original Sling Shot regulary. It gives just enough support to push the envelope a little harder. It will make you stronger if you put the work in. Its not magic like any other assitance tool you have to put the work in!

April Mathis
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I just use it in between when my shoulders are beat up or to handle more weight. I have the original red one and get about 30lbs. out of it. Some of the newer ones are supposed to give you more, but don't know it would really help raw benching any more. If you use the size that it suggests you shouldn't have any problem with touching even with the bar. I can't say for sure it has helped my raw benching much. I think it did a little bit when I used it pretty often one training cycle (mostly to get used to heavier weight after a small shoulder injury). Otherwise I am not sure as I have only been using it once every month or 2 otherwise.

theBarzeen
01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I like it as a tool to allow me to handle more weight more often.

Some weeks I'm too beat up to get in a shirt, but I want some shoulder support and need to get under bigger weights......

JK1
01-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Interesting I can touch to the chest with just the bar no problem with the red slingshot. I didn't know people struggled to touch in a slingshot considering you can use them for pushups and dips.

I apologize I probably should have been a bit clearer above instead of trying to write a quick response. My wife has a history of a shoulder injury. When she used the red one she felt rotation of the arm that caused shoulder discomfort. She did not notice that with the blue one. It really wasn't a matter of she could not touch, say as in a bench shirt as much as it was a matter of it was uncomfortable.

Ripe1
01-16-2012, 04:35 AM
I just got the blue one, only used it twice. But I'd guess it gives me around 40lbs. I noticed if it's not set up properly my left shoulder twists really uncomfortably. I'm going to use it on heavy days for a while and then see what the results are

-JM-
01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Brian,

I have been using the red one these past couple of weeks simply because my shoulders were chewed up. I was fine in my shirt but raw benching was just awful. The slingshot has given me opportunity to handle a bit more weight without the shirt. Its also great in that you can mimic your raw groove or equally what would be more of a shirted groove in terms of where you touch and tucking. It really doesnt force you to take a certain line like a shirt will.

IMHO, a great addition to anyones arsenal.

MarcusWild
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I have the original sling shot. I like to use it when my shoulders are feeling beat up. That way I can still get in some good bench training.

Ripe1
01-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Yeay I did dips today for the first time in 10-15 years! No pain in the shoulders at all

Brian Hopper
01-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I was just curious and have been thinking about getting one to just play around with and get use to the heavier weights. But i'm cheap and I just bought some RESULTS :) so I might pick one up later on.

LuNa
02-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I just got my Original Slingshot in. I have not used it yet so i cant comment on that. What i can say, is that the shipping service was amazing. It took one week (i live in the Netherlands), whilst a different order (bands) took three weeks. I also didnt have to pay customs duties as they marked it as a gift. Great service and im very happy i bought this. I hope that using it will make me as happy as i am with it so far.