PDA

View Full Version : Home Gym Set Up

GazzyG
01-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Hey guys.

Might be moving in a few months and it'll have it's downsides and upsides.

Downside is, none of the local gyms in that area are any good.

Good side is, the house has a big garage into which I could fit a home gym.

Been working out what I would need if I were to go the home gym route.

--------

Power Rack with chinning, dipping and lat pulldown attachments.

Bench.

Oly Bar with 235kg of weights.

Adjustable Dumbells.

-----------

Now with all of those, it works out at pretty much bang on 1000 ($1500).

I also use the leg press a lot and feel I get a lot of leg strength out of it, but the cheapest plate-loaded leg presses I can find are around 600 ($900) and I'm not sure the carryover to my training would be worth a) that huge amount of money and b) the space it'd take up in the garage.

Now, another option I could consider, of course, is to train with my cousin. He's a very strong powerlifter and has competed often and I'm sure I could learn lots from him and his training buddies. However, his gym is ten miles away, on the other side of the county and he trains at 7pm each night, meaning I'd have to drive through the city at rush hour. We're talking an hour there, then half hour home again.

It'd be doable, but not convenient to do 3/4 times a week.

What're your opinions guys?

1) Home gym and make the trip to train with my cousin for pointers once a week or so.

2) No home gym, just try to make the journey for every session and suck it up if I miss any.

I'm thinking number 1, tbh, as I know that more than anything else, consistency is key in this game, but I'd like your opinions.

MarcusWild
01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
It takes an hour to go 10 miles? That's insane! That said, I've had people drive an hour or more to train at my gym. It's worth it if you want to compete. You can't replace training with a team.

GazzyG
01-16-2012, 11:38 AM
It takes an hour to go 10 miles? That's insane! That said, I've had people drive an hour or more to train at my gym. It's worth it if you want to compete. You can't replace training with a team.

This is true!

And yeah, it only takes half an hour normally, but for me to meet him at the time he trains, I'd have to cross the city at rush hour. I used to work in the city and it'd take me 45mins to get home some nights.

robertjr93
01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
I would say get yourself a home gym get what you can and train at your gym for the most part! When you feel like you wanna go real heavy and get alot of work in go visit your cousin! All you Need is a power rack, Bar, Plates, and bench and some kind of platform!

SEOINAGE
01-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Buy a motorcycle and lane split, turn that hour drive in to 20 minutes.

GazzyG
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I would say get yourself a home gym get what you can and train at your gym for the most part! When you feel like you wanna go real heavy and get alot of work in go visit your cousin! All you Need is a power rack, Bar, Plates, and bench and some kind of platform!

This is starting to be my thinking too, Rob. Cheers.

Buy a motorcycle and lane split, turn that hour drive in to 20 minutes.

I've got a Yamaha Thundercat, but I don't fancy riding after a heavy dead/squat session, haha!

Tom Mutaffis
01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I would just start out with the following:

- Power Rack with Chin-Up Bar
- Adjustable Bench
- Barbell & Plates

From there you can add other items such as dumbbells, mats, cable machines, cardio equipment, etc.

I started my home gym with the items listed above and was able to purchase everything for around $750 new (BodySolid Rack and Bench, 300# CAP Weight Set). You should definitely look at used equipment as well, weights are not something that become less functional over time but you can generally find used equipment at about 50-75% the cost of new equipment.

GazzyG
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Cheers Tom! I'll make sure to have a good look on Ebay etc when it's a bit closer!