PDA

View Full Version : squatters vs pullers

JSully
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Fun discussion, what are you? Are you a squatter, or are you a puller?

I deadlift over 100#s more than my squat. I'm a puller fsho. I enjoy pulling more and I pull heavy way more often than I squat heavy.

This is my flaw. I need to squat heavy more often. I need to get my squat up. Today I nailed a very tough 565 squat. Saturday I pulled 605 beltless for a triple, lol. I know what I need to do and I'll do it. And yes, I know I more than likely wasn't recovered from the DL, but I needed to get a squat in early this week as I've got a strongman on saturday. :)

In the meantime, what are you and why? Is it body mechanics, enjoyment or hatred? lol

weaver
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
puller for sure. my squat sucks.

Alex.V
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Puller. Best deadlift 725, raw, best squat, mid 600's with belt, wraps, and briefs. Long arms, and really weak in the legs when I get close to parallel. Strong back.

I wonder how much having good spotters around helps. Always been hesitant to push it on squats since I have no spotters to speak of. Deadlifts.. not an issue. Over the years, I gotta believe that makes a difference.

ScottYard
01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Everyones pull is bigger then theyre deadlift. A small handfull of people may squat more but its rare. Of course gear changes this as most suits add 400lbsor so. But thats not a clear picture of strength. Just competition lifts.

NickAus
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I am not really built to deadlift but I always thought of deadlifts as the most impressive lift to do and to watch.

I have worked at it and now I would call myself a puller not squatter.

NickAus
01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Agree, no spotters is an issue.

I train mostly alone and do not worry about safety while pulling so can really train the lift hard and heavy each week

Songsangnim
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Puller here as well. Deadlift about 150 lbs over the squat.

I train alone as well (in a commercial gym) but no spotters is a non-issue as I train in a power rack with adjustable pins (when squatting). Should I get caught on a heavy squat I simply descend a couple more inches and deposit the bar on the pins. I go just a little way beyond parallel due to knee issues so I have some leeway with that.
This works well for bench too.

Brian C
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Im a squatter. Im built to squat and bench. Pulling has always been a bitch for me. T rex syndrome.

muscle_g
01-16-2012, 07:16 PM
When I am raw I am a much better puller. Geared I am a better squatter, so I guess it kinda evens itself out.

April Mathis
01-16-2012, 07:44 PM
My raw squat right now with wraps is about 100+lbs. over my raw deadlift. My best in competition no wraps squat is 35lbs. over my best deadlift and could have been about 75lbs. for sure no problem. Deadlift sucks...lol. Yes it depends on the way you are built. I am strong at back work, but having short arms makes the deadlift difficult. I think everyone enjoys the lifts they are better at more though.

ThomasG
01-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm a squatter for sure. I know sig says without wraps my squat is lower but its been since August I've tested my squat. My raw squat is higher than my deadlift. I'm a great squatter, shitty puller.

chris mason
01-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm a better puller if I can hold the fucking bar... My squat has come up very nicely as of late.

JK1
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
F@$k deadlifts. Anything that heavy just needs to stay on the floor........ ;-)

All jokes aside (yes that is a joke above for those of you who know me and know my deadlift woes... my raw squat is over 15p lbs more than my raw deadlift maybe a lot more. I rarely do a true raw squat max, so I don't know for certain. My geared squat is about 400 lbs ober my geared deadlift, so make of that what you want. My raw bench is actually about the same to slightly higher than my raw deadlift. that honestly just pisses me off.

Body proportion and size play a HUGE role with deadlifts. It is a leverages lift. That is why some people seem to just be able to pull big and others have to work for every single lb. Other factors play a huge role too-like grip. I easily add 100 + to my max pull with straps.

The bottom line with powerlifting isn't how much you pull, it is how much your total is. That is what I focus on now instead of an individual lift.

LuNa
01-17-2012, 01:56 AM
I am definitely a puller. My arms are pretty long which makes the deadlift easier. Im also pretty sure that being without spotters in the squat is holding me back from pushing it harder. I wish it was different though because to me nothing looks more impressive than having a shitton of weight on your back and squatting it.

NickAus
01-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Scott Cartright, short arms, 800 pull sumo

Josh Bryant, shortish arms, 810 conventional

It can be done.

GazzyG
01-17-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm a Puller, I'd say. My DL is about 100lbs more than my squat, though to be fair I'm a beginner so it may even itself out given time.

Logan
01-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Squat is almost the same as my pull. I think it is because in the meet I wear myself out before the deadlift. Nature of the beast though.:whiner:

basbolstar
01-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I am close to 200lbs difference. Sad I know.

JSully
01-17-2012, 10:02 AM
glad to see all the responses.. I've got a couple friends whos deadlift is 50-60lbs less than their raw squat. glad i'm not the only one with such a huge difference with my deadlift being over my squat..

lol @ raw bench being the same as deadlift.. that would piss me off too

BloodandThunder
01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Leave us T-Rexs alone...we're starting to figure this whole picking objects up concept.

JK1
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Leave us T-Rexs alone...we're starting to figure this whole picking objects up concept.

yup. It just means squat more and bench more to get that total. 1200+ 900 + 500 = 2600 the same as 1000+ 800 + 800.... It is all about mathematical manipulation.

JK1
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Scott Cartright, short arms, 800 pull sumo

Josh Bryant, shortish arms, 810 conventional

It can be done.

It is not just short arms, it is torsolength relative to leg lenth and upper body mass (not gut, but chest and shoulders). Very, very few 'good' deadlifters that I know of have relatively long torsos. That is where the leverage issue becomes huge, especially if the arms are short. I have spent way too many hours thinking through the physicis of this stuff.

Workhorse
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Definitely a better puller. 600ish raw dead with a 500ish squat raw.

Niko_El_Piko
01-17-2012, 01:54 PM
I clearly prefer SQ.
As a RAW "master class" lifter, my Squat before my left knee injury was quite similar to my DL, but after recovery I am still working p my SQ which is actually 90 Lbs under my DL.
The truth is, I donīt DL too much; I basically work GM & Speed DL. Probably once every 6/8 weeks I try a shot at ME of DL.
Near meets I DL a lot more.

RhodeHouse
01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
This actually made me think. My best official raw squat is 600, but it was a joke. That day I had 100lbs more in me. Watching the video, I didn't even make a face as I squatted. I messsed up my goal that day.

My best pull is 760 with 2 herniated discs in my back. So lots of pain after that pull, but well worth it.

I'd say to look at me I'm probably better suited to pull. I don't pull nearly enough and haven't been able to train it in almost 3 years because of my back. That being said, I've always trrained my squat harder and with more planning.

I think you can make yourself a puller/squatter if you want to. With the exception of those who are built to squat and bench. Those arms, although big in circumference, don't really get too deep when it comes to grabbing the bar.

SELK
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Mine have always been about the same, the first raw meet I entered I squatter 20lbs more then I pulled (551 squat, 529 pull) but that was 4-5 years ago. About a year ago I squatted 660 for a double and a few weeks ago I pulled 660 raw on a squat bar so they are still not to far off.

I still actually think I have pretty good bench leverages, just terrible strength.

K Y L E
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Deadlift definitely. Although I like training my squat more. When I try deadlifting for periods of time, I don't gain much. Let me squat for a month or so and I break my deadlift max. Example, before I ever tried squatting, I had a 315 max dl. Squatted for 3 months without deadlifting, and my dl went up 50 lbs.

RhodeHouse
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Deadlift definitely. Although I like training my squat more. When I try deadlifting for periods of time, I don't gain much. Let me squat for a month or so and I break my deadlift max. Example, before I ever tried squatting, I had a 315 max dl. Squatted for 3 months without deadlifting, and my dl went up 50 lbs.

Try gaining some weight if you want to get stronger. It's the #1 way to get stronger, especially at your age.

mastermonster
01-19-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm definately a squatter! My best raw meet DL is 600. My best raw meet squat is 650 and almost got up with 705 that same meet. Geared up I've squatted 905 in the gym, and did 903 in a meet but cut it a little short and got it red lighted 2-1. My best geared DL in a meet is only 622. I'm VERY short armed and legged with a fairly long torso. Have a very big, deep rib cage. I'm almost perfectly built to squat and bench and like JK1, not to DL. Also have a grip issue in my left hand that effects the grip in it. Raw DL I've also pulled about 100 more with straps than without. I have about a 3 1/2 to 4 inch raw bench press stroke so the term T-Rex fits me well! I know I'm almost locked out with a DL when I feel it start to crunch my privates! LOL!

bojackson
01-20-2012, 08:53 AM
mine are about the same. but i have been inconsistent in my training i think.

Dank27
01-20-2012, 07:36 PM
puller for sure. my squat sucks.

+1 my squat sux too

bald bull
01-21-2012, 02:08 AM
I am a puller. My best is 665 RAW after my squat accident in 06. I always loved the pull and getting fired up for a big lift.

BULK_BOY
01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Puller. It has been one of my favourite exercises...... Need to start doing them again.

JSully
02-01-2012, 07:10 AM
I'm this way. I can focus on squatting and my deadlift goes up. Problem is, I enjoy deadlifting way more and typically sacrificie heavy squats for heavy pulls. I'm very close to a 700 raw deadlift so I'm going to start focusing on my squat more to try to get it up in the 6s.

I have about a 3 1/2 to 4 inch raw bench press stroke so the term T-Rex fits me well!
This is incredible. I've got a "decent" arch and my stroke is about 14". Drives me crazy.

kingkong51
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Should I even join this topic? Raw lifter who squats almost 300lbs more then he deadlifts.

IronDiggy
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Definitly, squatter. Best raw squat is 635 and best pull is 585. I have the issue of short arms and legs and a long torso.

joey54
02-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Court decisions have not always looked favorably upon squatters. One well-known squatter, Kenneth Robinson, was attempting to get a $330,000 home for the $16 filing fee, and has been evicted from the home he was occupying. Article resource: Courts are kicking adverse possession practitioners out of homes. I guess they did the right decision since he acquired it illegally.

I banned this spammer, but found it hillarious how he worked the thread topic into his gimmick.